Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Default behaviour for opening html files drives me nuts. [solved]
Default behaviour for opening html files drives me nuts. [solved] [message #810879] Thu, 01 March 2012 16:36 Go to next message
Ivan V is currently offline Ivan VFriend
Can I set the default behaviour for opening html files to always open the HTML editor, unless I select anything else from the "Open with" context menu item? The project explorer sometimes opens an editor and sometimes a browser. I can't understand what criteria it's following and the behaviour is damn irritating. I'm using Indigo SR2.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 July 2012 09:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Default behaviour for opening html files drives me nuts. [message #810886 is a reply to message #810879] Thu, 01 March 2012 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

The last "editor" you used to open a file, whether that's the Web Page Editor, HTML Editor, or a web browser, becomes the default for that file. Otherwise you can change the general default from the File Associations preference page.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Default behaviour for opening html files drives me nuts. [message #810902 is a reply to message #810886] Thu, 01 March 2012 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the quick answer. I removed "Web browser" from the file associations. It still opens in the last view or editor previously selected. The selection is apparently stored on a file basis. I don't want that. I want it set to always open the editor unless I choose otherwise for that one time, i.e. same behaviour as file association in Finder or Explorer.

I can't see how this behaviour in Project explorer is of any use at all. Is it really expected from users to remember which editor or view each file of the same type is associated with?
Re: Default behaviour for opening html files drives me nuts. [message #875381 is a reply to message #810902] Tue, 22 May 2012 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Kerber is currently offline David KerberFriend
In article <jioa2i$2m1$1@xxxxxxxxe.org>, forums-noreply@xxxxxxxx
says...
>
> Thanks for the quick answer. I removed "Web browser" from the file associations. It still opens in the last view or editor previously selected. The selection is apparently stored on a file basis. I don't want that. I want it set to always open the editor unless I choose otherwise for that one time, i.e. same behaviour as file association in Finder or Explorer.
>
> I can't see how this behaviour in Project explorer is of any use at all. Is it really expected from users to remember which editor or view each file of the same type is associated with?

No, most people always open the file with the same application all the
time, so opening it once sets it for all future needs. When I'm editing
HTML, to view them I don't open it through eclipse; I keep it in an
external browser and just refresh after making edits.
Re: Default behaviour for opening html files drives me nuts. [message #896390 is a reply to message #875381] Wed, 18 July 2012 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Kerber wrote on Tue, 22 May 2012 18:19
In article <jioa2i$2m1$1@xxxxxxxxe.org>, forums-noreply@xxxxxxxx
says...

No, most people always open the file with the same application all the
time, so opening it once sets it for all future needs.

That's what it does not do. It reverts to a default editor after I've checked out a workspace from git. If I change editors it only remembers it until I do another checkout.

New files use that same default editor, which I believe came with Aptana. How do I set my preferred editor to be the default editor?

[Updated on: Wed, 18 July 2012 09:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Default behaviour for opening html files drives me nuts. [message #896393 is a reply to message #896390] Wed, 18 July 2012 09:18 Go to previous message
I found that I can change the default editor under General > Editor > File Associations.
Previous Topic:Unabel test Web Service with Web Service Explorer
Next Topic:Eclipse indigo+glassfish 3.1.1 debug problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:37:20 GMT 2024