Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Javascript code hinting, lookup via F3(Eclipse doesn't seem to parse all my Javascript files)
Javascript code hinting, lookup via F3 [message #809304] Tue, 28 February 2012 18:05 Go to next message
sneakyimp Mising name is currently offline sneakyimp Mising nameFriend
I've been delighted with PDT's context-sensitive lookup capabilities for PHP. I'm hoping for the same functionality for a Javascript-heavy project I'm working on but I've been unable to get Eclipse to do it for me.

I created a new Project and imported my existing Javascript and PHP code but when I try to use F3 within a Javascript file, it will look up vars locally defined but does not offer any code hinting or visibility to functions or classes defined in other Javascript files.

Can anyone recommend a means by which I can set up a true context-sensitive Javascript editor?
Re: Javascript code hinting, lookup via F3 [message #810127 is a reply to message #809304] Wed, 29 February 2012 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

On 2/28/2012 1:05 PM, sneakyimp Mising name wrote:
> I've been delighted with PDT's context-sensitive lookup capabilities for
> PHP. I'm hoping for the same functionality for a Javascript-heavy
> project I'm working on but I've been unable to get Eclipse to do it for me.
>
> I created a new Project and imported my existing Javascript and PHP code
> but when I try to use F3 within a Javascript file, it will look up vars
> locally defined but does not offer any code hinting or visibility to
> functions or classes defined in other Javascript files.
>
> Can anyone recommend a means by which I can set up a true
> context-sensitive Javascript editor?

Did you make it a JavaScript project from the project's Configure menu?

--
---
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse WTP Source Editing and JSDT
IBM Rational

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Javascript code hinting, lookup via F3 [message #811149 is a reply to message #810127] Fri, 02 March 2012 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did make it a Javascript project. As it turns out, the issue was that Eclipse had not yet scanned all the Javascript files.

At the moment, I'm finding myself wanting Eclipse to provide code hinting and autocompletion. Does it do this for Javascript? I got it autocomplete/hint working in Eclipse for PHP by adding Javadoc comments. Wondering if there's any sort of documentation or best practices for Javascript dev in Eclipse?

Re: Javascript code hinting, lookup via F3 [message #811904 is a reply to message #811149] Sat, 03 March 2012 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now Eclipse will not look up class definitions when I hit F3. It was doing it fine for awhile then something changed. I was wondering if I was out of memory or something but that does not seem to be the case. I think Eclipse might have some kind of bug.
Re: Javascript code hinting, lookup via F3 [message #815548 is a reply to message #809304] Wed, 07 March 2012 20:06 Go to previous message
OK I'm getting infuriated by the inconsistent behavior of Eclipse here. One day it works and F3 is my reliable buddy and I can look up almost anything. Today, it's "Current text selection does not resolve to a Javascript element." WTF??!!1

Is there some way to reset the code hinting or force a rescan on a given Javascript project? I need this functionality NOW.
Previous Topic:xdebug.remote_host not resolving host name
Next Topic:PDT installation issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:40:52 GMT 2024