Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Lua Development Tools » Code assistance for 3rd party libs( Custom API's, Custom Libraries, Custom Documentation)
Code assistance for 3rd party libs [message #806852] Sat, 25 February 2012 16:00 Go to next message
Vadimo B is currently offline Vadimo BFriend
Hello,

what about a Code assistance for 3rd party libs and frameworks. like it is working for inellij.

maybe it would be possible to be able to parse the one created for intellij so the providers of those packages don't have to create two different versions.

Behind this link you can find more on how it is done on for the intellij lua plugin and what I mean.

https: //bitbucket.org/sylvanaar2/lua-for-idea/wiki/Home

Take a note on:
Setting Up Custom API's
Setting Up Custom Libraries
Setting Up Custom Documentation

The code is open source.

it would be cool if something similar would also exist in Kkoneki.

[Updated on: Sat, 25 February 2012 16:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Code assistance for 3rd party libs [message #806885 is a reply to message #806852] Sat, 25 February 2012 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lua Bowski is currently offline Lua BowskiFriend
Right now Koneki has this in a beta release. For more info, go to:
wiki.eclipse.org/Koneki/LDT/Technical_Discussions/User_Assistance
For the beta release, go to:
91.121.117.128/koneki/products/

Some discussion did happen between IntelliJ IDEA for Lua author (Jon Akhtar) and Koneki folks (Benjamin Cabé et al from Sierra Wireless) on the Lua mailing list last November about having a common API documentation model, but I don't know what came of it.

Speaking as a Lua API developer and documenter - I don't personally care if the two API documentation formats of IntelliJ and Koneki are different, because we don't write them by hand anyway. We start with some base form of comments (in my case Doxygen style comments in C/C++ files, above each C function that is exposed in the API), and use a script to convert them to whatever other format we want. So if Koneki and IntelliJ are different, it's only one conversion script to write, and only write it once, for all future API code. Besides, the type of info in the Koneki API docs is much more informative/expressive than IntelliJ, and I wouldn't want to lose that for people who prefer Koneki over IntelliJ - while the external HTML doc model of IntelliJ is good as well and I wouldn't want to lose that for folks who prefer IntelliJ.
Re: Code assistance for 3rd party libs [message #806890 is a reply to message #806885] Sat, 25 February 2012 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool that you are also working on this issue. It makes the life much more easier this way like every one is used to from java on eclipse.

i will try out the beta version and see what how it feels Smile

Cheers
Re: Code assistance for 3rd party libs [message #806893 is a reply to message #806890] Sat, 25 February 2012 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh I'm not working on it at all - I just found it a couple days ago myself. Smile
It's been mostly Sierra Wireless folks doing this I think.
I found it by reading a presentation they gave at the Lua Workshop last year.
Re: Code assistance for 3rd party libs [message #806898 is a reply to message #806893] Sat, 25 February 2012 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh you thought I meant I worked on Koneki LDT because I said I'm "a Lua API developer and documenter". Sorry for the confusion - I meant I work at a company that's exposed a Lua API for customers to write Lua scripts to control their behavior, and I happen to be part of the team that's written the C/C++ code to expose it, and the API docs so customers know what's exposed and can write to it. We've looked at using IntelliJ as an IDE, but most of us don't like it and it doesn't provide the level of API information detail we're looking for. (I know some people love IntelliJ - I find development IDEs and text editors to be a very subjective taste for people) So anyway we plan to document our API for both.

I wish we could help Koneki LDT develop this, but we have no one in our company with Java or Metalua knowledge. (from looking at the code it appears Koneki does Java for interfacing to Eclipse as one would expect, and Metalua for the parsing and AST, but that's just my guess from browsing the code for a bit)
Re: Code assistance for 3rd party libs [message #808124 is a reply to message #806898] Mon, 27 February 2012 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe one of the Koneki developer could provide a road map on when this feature might be available?
Re: Code assistance for 3rd party libs [message #808167 is a reply to message #808124] Mon, 27 February 2012 13:37 Go to previous message
Benjamin Cabé is currently offline Benjamin CabéFriend

Hi Vadimo,

Vadimo B wrote on Mon, 27 February 2012 13:38
Maybe one of the Koneki developer could provide a road map on when this feature might be available?

We plan to merge the beta stuff into the main branch as soon as the Eclipse Intellectual Property team will have validated that we can use the couple of new Lua libraries we depend on (projects developed at eclipse.org have pretty strict rules about what libraries can be reused, depending on their license and stuff...).

The overall roadmap of Koneki is available here.
There you'll see that we would like to have the content assist feature available by the end of March, for 0.8M2. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to give feedback on the beta version so as we can be sure that most of the basic requirements are actually addressed.

Looking forward to getting your feedback on the beta then ... Smile
Cheers!

Previous Topic:No Interpreter?
Next Topic:The Selection cannot be launched, and there are no recent launches
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:06:22 GMT 2024