Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Unable to build the Greenpages sample
Unable to build the Greenpages sample [message #804146] Wed, 22 February 2012 08:56 Go to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
I've been trying to build both the Greenpages 2.4.0.RELEASE and the 2.5.0 that I found at GitHub. Both fails on an unresolved dependency.

The 'mvn package' executed under the solution directory ends with:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal com.springsource.bundlor:com.springsource.bundlor.maven:1.0.0.M2:transform (bundlor) on project greenpages.parent-solution: Execution bundlor of goal com.springsource.bundlor:com.springsource.bundlor.maven:1.0.0.M2:transform failed: Plugin com.springsource.bundlor:com.springsource.bundlor.maven:1.0.0.M2 or one of its dependencies could not be resolved: The following artifacts could not be resolved: com.springsource.util:com.springsource.util.osgi:jar:1.5.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT, com.springsource.util:com.springsource.util.io:jar:1.5.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT, com.springsource.util:com.springsource.util.math:jar:1.5.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT: Failure to find com.springsource.util:com.springsource.util.osgi:jar:1.5.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT in http://repository.springsource.com/maven/bundles/release was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of com.springsource.repository.bundles.release has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]

What can I do do get passed this?
Re: Unable to build the Greenpages sample [message #804277 is a reply to message #804146] Wed, 22 February 2012 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jochen Szostek is currently offline Jochen SzostekFriend

From within the Springsource STS IDE?

Perhaps related to maven version which handles plugin config differently...
Re: Unable to build the Greenpages sample [message #804294 is a reply to message #804277] Wed, 22 February 2012 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm doing this from the command line per instructions found here:

http://www.eclipse.org/virgo/documentation/greenpages-documentation-2.4.0.RELEASE/docs/html/ch02s03.html

That's the instructions that you arrive at by clicking on the documentation link here:

http://www.eclipse.org/virgo/samples/

I've tried both Maven 2.2 and Maven 3.0
Re: Unable to build the Greenpages sample [message #804745 is a reply to message #804294] Thu, 23 February 2012 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Thomas Hallgren wrote on Wed, 22 February 2012 07:45
I'm doing this from the command line per instructions found here:

http://www.eclipse.org/virgo/documentation/greenpages-documentation-2.4.0.RELEASE/docs/html/ch02s03.html

That's the instructions that you arrive at by clicking on the documentation link here:

http://www.eclipse.org/virgo/samples/

I've tried both Maven 2.2 and Maven 3.0

I'm not very knowledgeable about Maven -- I'm used to a better build system ;D -- but I think I ran into this one a while back. Maven has a caching system that in my limited experience can be wonky, especially if the contents of bundles has changed. I think completely erasing the contents of my Maven repos got things building again. Naturally you'll have to wait while the internet is downloaded again.. I'll check my logs and see if I find anything else on this.
Re: Unable to build the Greenpages sample [message #805404 is a reply to message #804745] Thu, 23 February 2012 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I followed your advice and erased the local Maven cache. Unfortunately it didn't help. After a very long sequence of downloads it fails on the same error. Apparently three bundles are missing:

com.springsource.util:com.springsource.util.osgi:jar:1.5.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT
com.springsource.util:com.springsource.util.io:jar:1.5.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT
com.springsource.util:com.springsource.util.math:jar:1.5.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT

I would really like to get this sample working so advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Unable to build the Greenpages sample [message #805548 is a reply to message #805404] Thu, 23 February 2012 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Thomas,

Leo suggests that you have a look at: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4650460/maven-could-not-resolve-dependencies-problem for the dependency issue..it might be an issue with your settings.xml. We've also found that we had to run mvn package multiple times, but I'm sure you've tried that. Smile

BTW, have you tried building this with the latest Virgo tooling? I'm not saying it will work better, but it might break differently...
Re: Unable to build the Greenpages sample [message #807400 is a reply to message #805548] Sun, 26 February 2012 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The original message contained this piece of info:

"Plugin com.springsource.bundlor:com.springsource.bundlor.maven:1.0.0.M2 or one of its dependencies could not be resolved"

so I though, perhaps this M2 has been surpassed by something more stable? And sure enough, there's now a 1.0.0.RELEASE. So the first step I took was to change the 'solution/parent/pom.xml' to reflect that and then I tried again. Not quite there yet.

Now the error was different, indicating the the bundlor didn't provide a 'transform' command. Reading the docs, I concluded that the one and only command was now 'bundlor' so I changed 'transform' into 'bundlor' (in the same file) and then I tried again. Are we there yet? Nope!

The entry for maven-surefile-plugin points directly into the .m2/repository and assumes the presence of a 3.0.0.M6 version of the org.springframework.instrument. That assumption is incorrect. The downloaded version is 3.0.5.RELEASE. I fixed that and tried again. More problems. The tests fail on a missing LogFactory and then ends because the target/classes directory is missing.

At this point I gave up and concluded that I lack the knowledge to do productive trial and error in this domain. Someone with more knowledge than I needs to give this sample some love and care. It seems to be in bad need for it.
Re: Unable to build the Greenpages sample [message #808106 is a reply to message #807400] Mon, 27 February 2012 12:10 Go to previous message
Chris Frost is currently offline Chris FrostFriend

Hi,

I'd stick with Bundlor 1.0.0.M2 as it is all we have tested with. I'm building a clean unzip of Greenpages 2.4.0.RELEASE and Maven 3.0.3, worked fine until I deleted my Maven cache as well, it took a while downloading it all but failed as you described.

Raising bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=372640

Chris.

------------------------------------------------
Chris Frost, Twitter @cgfrost
Springsource, a divison of VMware.
Previous Topic:Virgo issue java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Next Topic:Build Virgo Kernel 3.0.0.M04 in IDE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:37:05 GMT 2024