Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » eclipse mysql open table(How do I view another table in MYSQL)
eclipse mysql open table [message #803980] Wed, 22 February 2012 03:34 Go to next message
Dennis Christy is currently offline Dennis ChristyFriend
I have created a database with two tables. I can see the first table and can insert and edit data in it. However I cannot view the 2nd table? How do I do this?
Thanks for any help.
Re: eclipse mysql open table [message #804327 is a reply to message #803980] Wed, 22 February 2012 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 2012.02.21 20:34, Dennis Christy wrote:
> I have created a database with two tables. I can see the first table and
> can insert and edit data in it. However I cannot view the 2nd table? How
> do I do this?
> Thanks for any help.

You give insufficient details on your problem.

Are you trying to use Eclipse Data Tools Platform? There's a separate
forum for that. Are you using a command-line tool like mysql, psql, etc?
This isn't an Eclipse problem or the right forum. Are you trying to
access your database via JDBC? an ORM like Hibernate? Again, not the
right forum.

If you like, peruse this old article here

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/jdbc.html

Or come back and enhance the detail of your question and we'll try to
steer you right.

Best regards.
Re: eclipse mysql open table [message #804535 is a reply to message #804327] Wed, 22 February 2012 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Christy is currently offline Dennis ChristyFriend
I am using Windows7, MYSQL within Eclipse and JavaEE. I have created a database adpr within a project adspayr, folder name adspr, file name adspay. Within database adpr I have created 2 tables empmf and paychks. I created those tables using Eclipse/MYSQL in Project Explorer in the tab headed adspay.sql. I highlighted the code, right clicked on the selected code and clicked "execute selected text". This worked fine and created the table empmf. I can see this table in the pane to the right of the Project Explorer pane, the empmf tab is next to the adspay.sql tab. If I click on the empmf tab, it will bring up a spreadsheet-like format into which I can key the data for the empmf table. This all works fine. However I cannot find a way to get the same spreadsheet-like view into which I can key the data for the paychks table. I know the table is being created, because I can go to a command line for MYSQL and see the file. I can of course key the data using the MYSQL command line, however I am having trouble creating a script to update the file with new data records. I have thought of a workaround in which I will key the updates in Eclipse using the same coding techniques I used to create the table and its schema, and then use MYSQL command line to view the updated table. I thought of this workaround after I had posted my question on the forum. I still think it more convenient to do the updating and viewing in Eclipse rather that using both Eclipse and the command line approach.
There were of course other intermediate steps I used as per tutorials/manuals/books I viewed, however I cannot remember all the steps they had me go through. I do know about Data Source Explorer and it is visible in the pane below the pane to the right of the project explorer pane.
Thank you in advance for any guidance you can give me on this.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 February 2012 18:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: eclipse mysql open table [message #804602 is a reply to message #804535] Wed, 22 February 2012 20:07 Go to previous message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 2/22/2012 11:45 AM, Dennis Christy wrote:
> [snip] I still think it more convenient to do the updating and
> viewing in Eclipse rather that using both Eclipse and the command line
> approach. [snip]

Your best bet for remaining in Eclipse is to make use of Eclipse data
tools. And DTP has its own Eclipse forum where you'll get more and
better help. Meanwhile, check out this article as an introduction to DTP:

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/dtp.html

Best of luck!
Previous Topic:Accidentally Pressed Disconnect Using Debugger
Next Topic:Web Components in Eclips