Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » Support for primitives
Support for primitives [message #802814] Mon, 20 February 2012 13:44 Go to next message
Morten Krøyer is currently offline Morten KrøyerFriend
Hi

Is it decided when the remaining primitives (char, num, money etc) will be implemented?

As far as I can see on the wiki most of them are half way done, but I can't seem to find out what is missing or when they will be implemented other than sometime before 1.0 release

/Morten
Re: Support for primitives [message #802915 is a reply to message #802814] Mon, 20 February 2012 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt Heitz is currently offline Matt HeitzFriend
Hi Morten,

The compiler's front end has support for those types, but there's no support in the generators.

We haven't planned which features will be in the releases after 0.8. If I had to guess, I'd say those types will probably not be supported in EDT 1.0. We're not trying to make 1.0 be a complete open-source version of RBD. We're more interested in new capabilities like the extensible compiler and generators.

-Matt
Re: Support for primitives [message #803347 is a reply to message #802915] Tue, 21 February 2012 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Matt

Hmm... just feels weird to have a programming language without char support Wink

What do you mean by "compiler's front end has support"?
As far as I can see it just ignores them. If I state a char variable it's not persisted to XML.

Anyway, an extensible compiler would mean I could implement a version of them anyway, wouldn't it?

/Morten
Re: Support for primitives [message #803582 is a reply to message #803347] Tue, 21 February 2012 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt Heitz is currently offline Matt HeitzFriend
Morten,

I hope you can become comfortable with strings. Smile

By "front end", I meant the parser and compiler. But I see I was wrong about the compiler. Sorry about that.

You're right, once we finish making the compiler extensible you could make it support chars. That will be possible when 0.8 is finished.

-Matt
Re: Support for primitives [message #804242 is a reply to message #803582] Wed, 22 February 2012 11:10 Go to previous message
Thanks Matt

Looking at the source-code it would seem a minor effort to implement support for the missing primitives. At least in the parser and compiler. Also according to http://wiki.eclipse.org/EDT:EGL_Language_Primitive_Types they should be done.

I just don't want to bother much about something that will be implemented soon anyway, but if it's not implemented I think my superiors will want me to Smile

/Morten
Previous Topic:Eclipse IDE for EGL web Developers
Next Topic:Trying to get EDT IBM i support to work
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:16:57 GMT 2024