Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » how to load external xml file without using eclipse registry (how to load external xml file without using eclipse registry )
how to load external xml file without using eclipse registry [message #800457] Fri, 17 February 2012 05:00 Go to next message
Deenadayalan Missing name is currently offline Deenadayalan Missing nameFriend
1. I created an extension point schema in RCP plugin. => rcp bundle-1
2. Created another RCP Plugin, added the above extension (extension point schema) under 'extensions' to update the plugin.xml. => rcp bundle-2

3. Using IExtensionRegistry the rcp bundle-1 is able to load the rcp bundle-2 (IConfigurationElement).

I just want to avoid the 'extension registry' mechanism and jar file to load the bundle-2 that means, i will have only the plugin.xml file at some directory path, the rcp bundle-1 will need to get the 'absolute path for plugin.xml' and load that as external resource so that i can avoid the 'extension registry & jar' mechanism.

any ideas?
Re: how to load external xml file without using eclipse registry [message #800672 is a reply to message #800457] Fri, 17 February 2012 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel Krügler is currently offline Daniel KrüglerFriend
On 2012-02-17 06:01, Deenadayalan Mising name wrote:
> 1. I created an extension point schema in RCP plugin. => rcp bundle-1
> 2. Created another RCP Plugin, added the above extension (extension
> point schema) under 'extensions' to update the plugin.xml. => rcp bundle-2
>
> 3. Using IExtensionRegistry the rcp bundle-1 is able to load the rcp
> bundle-2 (IConfigurationElement).
>
>
> I just want to avoid the 'extension registry' mechanism and jar file to
> load the bundle-2 that means, i will have only the plugin.xml file at
> some directory path, the rcp bundle-1 will need to get the 'absolute
> path for plugin.xml' and load that as external resource so that i can
> avoid the 'extension registry & jar' mechanism.

I don't understand what you are trying to do. What is wrong with the
extension point API? You better describe what you *actually* want to do
instead of trying to bypass the API.

Greetings from Bremen,

Daniel Krügler
Re: how to load external xml file without using eclipse registry [message #801238 is a reply to message #800672] Sat, 18 February 2012 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deenadayalan Missing name is currently offline Deenadayalan Missing nameFriend
Hi,

nothing wrong with the extension API, but i have requirement that the external resource needs to be loaded in runtime on the need basis.

For example, if i have 10 extension point (referring to step-2) all of them would be .jar file and that can be loaded in runtime on the need basis (dynamically). if my user create a plugin.xml based on my extension point schema then i need to be able to load that plugin.xml alone in to my product, how to load external resource?

Re: how to load external xml file without using eclipse registry [message #801537 is a reply to message #801238] Sat, 18 February 2012 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian de Alwis is currently offline Brian de AlwisFriend
See IExtensionRegistry#addContribution()

http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/api/org/eclipse/core/runtime/IExtensionRegistry.html#addContribution(java.io.InputStream,%20org.eclipse.core.runtime.IContributor,%20boolean,%20java.lang.String,%20java.util.ResourceBundle,%20java.lang.Object)
Re: how to load external xml file without using eclipse registry [message #808437 is a reply to message #801537] Mon, 27 February 2012 19:44 Go to previous message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

As Brian mentions, there is a way to suck in an IExtensionRegistry fragment, but is that really what you want?

Are you saying that you want a user to be able to provide an implementation of your extension point at some time. So your application would be running, they would point you to their plugin, and you would load everything dynamically?

PW

Previous Topic:No drag handle for WorkbenchWindowControlContribution in trim area
Next Topic:Advanced perspective layout
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:55:01 GMT 2024