Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Installing a plugin
Installing a plugin [message #797970] Tue, 14 February 2012 04:28 Go to next message
TBT Andrew is currently offline TBT AndrewFriend
I developed a java plugin using Eclipse Indigo Release and deployed it in to a jar file. When I put it in plugins directory in the same eclipse.exe which I used to develop the plugin, I was able to work with the new plugin.

But the problem is when I downloaded the new version form website(Eclipse Indigo Service Release 1) and install the plugin(drop in plugins directory) I couldn't find the installed new plugin (my plugin adds a new perpective and it doesn't show up).

What is the problem?

Re: Installing a plugin [message #798005 is a reply to message #797970] Tue, 14 February 2012 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Clevery is currently offline Nick CleveryFriend
The proper way to install a plug-in is via Help -> Install New Software... Then select Local if your plug-in jar files reside on your local computer.
Re: Installing a plugin [message #798152 is a reply to message #798005] Tue, 14 February 2012 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TBT Andrew is currently offline TBT AndrewFriend
I tried to install using Help -> Install New Software and selecting jar. Then it gives below error.
Unable to read repository at jar.....

Do you have any idea what this means?
Re: Installing a plugin [message #825829 is a reply to message #798152] Wed, 21 March 2012 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sabir pasha is currently offline Sabir pashaFriend
Help -> Install New Software searches for a site.xml which contains the info about the features and plugins present in the local update site
for eg your update site should be like MY_UPDATE_SITE
|->features/my_feature.jar
|->plugins/my_plugin.jar
|->site.xml
Here you need to actually browse and select the MY_UPDATE_SITE folder and not any jar

And about ur plugin problem definetely there is some dependency missing
Re: Installing a plugin [message #899251 is a reply to message #825829] Tue, 31 July 2012 08:42 Go to previous message
Phil Yrulf is currently offline Phil YrulfFriend
I would use a Feature to deploy and install as recomended.
I suggest you visit the same link that helped me to.

... Well this awesome forum is not allowing me to paste in any link-location
google for <vogella + "eclipse feature project"> to find it ...

best regards
Previous Topic:How to include a java-preprocessor?
Next Topic:Changing the plugin ID
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:02:21 GMT 2024