Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » GEF3D » Renamed: How to add InterModelConnections properly(Working with GEF3D, I am facing serious lacks of knowledge concerning the creation of InterModelConnections)
Renamed: How to add InterModelConnections properly [message #789037] Thu, 02 February 2012 14:25 Go to next message
Lukas Olbrich is currently offline Lukas OlbrichFriend
Dear Jens, dear Karsten, hi everyone,

I am currently working on a visualisation of inter-model-connections. The background is copying complex objects where we store a reference from the copies to the copied objects. I need to visualise these references for debugging purposes .
Well, I was successfull in visualising the different objects by 3difying the available editors we implemented. Now, I am trying to display the intermodel-relations, i.e. the backreferences from copy to copy template.
I used the publications from the eclipse magazines and then found your example of displaying graphs: org.eclipse.gef3d.examples.graph . There I found the usage of InterModelContainer, this is in my implementation a TIReferenceModel, which is capable of computing the references from copy to copy template. The editPart for this is TIReferenceModelEditPart, which extends AbstractConnectionEditPart just like InterModelContainerPart does in the example. The Figure of this part is a TIReferenceModelFigure which extends InterModelDiagramFigure, just like in the example.
My TIReferenceModelEditPart returns all computed backreferences as modelChildren.

The desired behaviour for the creation of a MultiEditor is the following:
I open the editor on an object that has been copied (several times), the copies i call instances. These copies might have also been copied, thus there exist instances referencing the previous instances. This leads to a tree structure. The object I open the editor on is the root.
Now, for each node of the instantiation tree a 3dified editor will be added. This is executed successfully. Then, for each instance I compute a TIReferenceModel and add an Editor for this model.
This action results in a ClassCastException:
TIReferenceModelFigure cannot be cast to org.eclipse.draw2d.Connection.
It occures when I initialise the nested editor for for my TIReferenceModel (see below). My brute force attempt was to just let the figure implement Connection, which leads to an IndexOutOfBounds on the MultiModelContainerFigure (or sth. like that, sry, I cannot recall the name but it seemed to be the Figure of the MultiEditor's rootEditPart).
Well, I was wondering what I might be missing. I do get that the cast is not correct, but this results from the extension of AbstractConnectionEditPart. Why does this not lead to an error in your implementation, or rather what do I do different than you in the example.
What I see is different is that you only create one InterModelContainer whereas I create numerous and thus numerous nested editors for these containers are created.

Thanks a lot for any help provided!

Best regards,
Lukas

at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractConnectionEditPart.getConnectionFigure(AbstractConnectionEditPart.java:148)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractConnectionEditPart.refreshSourceAnchor(AbstractConnectionEditPart.java:234)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractConnectionEditPart.refresh(AbstractConnectionEditPart.java:224)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.addNotify(AbstractEditPart.java:252)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractGraphicalEditPart.addNotify(AbstractGraphicalEditPart.java:223)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractConnectionEditPart.addNotify(AbstractConnectionEditPart.java:100)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractConnectionEditPart.setParent(AbstractConnectionEditPart.java:268)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.addChild(AbstractEditPart.java:209)
at org.eclipse.gef3d.ext.multieditor.MultiEditorModelContainerEditPart.propertyChange(MultiEditorModelContainerEditPart.java:149)
at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(PropertyChangeSupport.java:339)
at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(PropertyChangeSupport.java:276)
at org.eclipse.gef3d.ext.multieditor.MultiEditorModelContainer.add(MultiEditorModelContainer.java:86)
at de.bitub.proitbau.core.ui.ti.process.gef3d.TIReferencesEditor3D.initializeAsNested(TIReferencesEditor3D.java:58)

[Updated on: Fri, 03 February 2012 12:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ClassCastException on extended InterModelDiagramFigure [message #789041 is a reply to message #789037] Thu, 02 February 2012 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, I just saw that I also added the TIReferenceModel to the MultiEditorModelContainer handed over to initialiseAsNested for my TIReferenceEditor. Here I called add() on the MultiEditorModelContainer. If I do not call add() there will be no CCE but also there won't be any inter-model-connections.
Re: Renamed: How to add InterModelConnections properly [message #789798 is a reply to message #789037] Fri, 03 February 2012 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jens von Pilgrim is currently offline Jens von PilgrimFriend
Lukas,

while answering your question, I found a bug in the Graph example. Actually, it is not a real bug, but I figure it is the reason for some confusion: the InterModelContainerPart did extend AbstractConnectionEditPart. This is wrong. The container is not a connection itself. I have fixed this: InterModelContainerPart extends AbstractGraphicalEditPart now. While this does no harm in the graph example, it might will wrongly leads to the assumption that the container is a connection itself. (Note: GEF3D is now stored in a Git repository, I have updated the Wiki page accordingly). You do not have to update for that reason, as it does not change the graph example in any way.

I'm not quite sure if I've understood your configuration. You have some models already being displayed in a multi editor. Now, you have a third model, the inter model. Usually, a model consists of some kind of root container and then some elements. You only mention the root model element TIReferenceModel. I try to make a list and compare your things with the graph example:

Lukas                                   Graph                       
Root:   
    M   TIReferenceModel                        IntermodelContainer
    C   TIReferenceModelEditPart                IntermodelContainerPart 
         extends AbstractConnectionEditPart      extends AbstractGraphicalEditPart
    V   TIReferenceModelFigure                  IntermodelContainerFigure 
          InterModelDiagramFigure                extends InterModelDiagramFigure

Inter model/diagram connection (IMC)
    M                                           Edge
    C                                           IntermodelEdgePart 
                                                 extends AbstractConnectionEditPart3D
    V                                           EdgeFigure3D 
                                                 extends PolylineConnection3D

What I'm missing in your description is the inter model/diagram connection (IMC) MVC triple.

While I'm not sure at the moment, but I figure you have to provide a root MVC for the IMCs, and then an MVC for each IMC. As far as I understand your project, you will have to reorganize it a little bit and introduce some kind of container for your TIReferences. Something like that:

Root:   
    M   TIReferenceModelContainer               IntermodelContainer
    C   TIReferenceModelContainerEditPart       IntermodelContainerPart 
         extends AbstractGraphicalEditPart       extends AbstractGraphicalEditPart
    V   TIReferenceModelContainerFigure         IntermodelContainerFigure 
          InterModelDiagramFigure                extends InterModelDiagramFigure

M   TIReferenceModel                        Edge
    C   TIReferenceModelEditPart                IntermodelEdgePart 
         extends AbstractConnectionEditPart3D    extends AbstractConnectionEditPart3D
    V   TIReferenceModelFigure                  EdgeFigure3D 
         extends PolylineConnection3D            extends PolylineConnection3D

That is, you calculate the TIReferenceModel, add it to the TIReferenceModelContainer, and then refresh the container. However, this will work only if the models your are connecting are aware of the TIReferenceModel. If this is not the case, you will have to use the UndirectConnectionEditPart3D or introduce ConnectedElementAdapter. I figure you can use the former as you can modify your edit part of the 3Dfied elements in order to support connection anchors for the inter model connections. If you cannot modify these edit parts, you will have to use the later. See the Eclipse Magazin article (part 2) and the package description of
org.eclipse.gef3d.ext.intermodel for details.

Cheers,
Jens

[Updated on: Fri, 03 February 2012 12:23]

Re: ClassCastException on extended InterModelDiagramFigure [message #789799 is a reply to message #789041] Fri, 03 February 2012 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi everyone,
I see, that my problem mainly occurs from the lack of knowledge concerning the creation of InterModelConnections.
I just cannot see the way of how to add them to my multi-editor.
My Idea is the following:
Add an editor for each diagramm: works totally fine.
Now, add a model-Object to the MultiEditorContainer that is capable of returning the InterModelConnections as Children. Register this ModelObject (e.g. InterModelConnectionsContainer) within the MultiFactory by calling prepare. Does not work.
I found this in the graph-example of GEF3D. It's exactly what I meant to do.
	IntermodelContainer intermodel = new IntermodelContainer();
	IntermodelEditPartFactory intermodelFactory = new IntermodelEditPartFactory();
	multiFactory.prepare(intermodel, intermodelFactory);

I noticed that commenting the last line does not change the Editors behaviour. All InterConnections are drawn correctly. Thus, the InterModelContainer object does not have any effect. I believe this is due to the underlying graph model. The InterModelConnections are of type Edge and can be retrieved by asking the Graph or a Node, I mean, they're part of the moldel, thus they are most probably returned by a NodeEditPart as connections. This would explain, why intermodelConnections are drawn. This is due to:
	multiFactory.prepare(graphs[p], intermodelFactory, MultiEditorPartFactory.HIGHEST_PRIORITY);

For a Graph the interModelFactory is also registered, especially with highest priority. Thus, this factory will always be called first and checks whether the given edge is an InterModelConnection. Thus, the interModelConnections as well as the different models are actually all part of the same model. They are one.

My case is different: I have different editors for different graphs represtenting different models. The nodes of my graph do not return the intermodelconnections as connections. Thus, these connections are never drawn.
This leads to the question of how to add a dummy model object to the MultiEditorModelContainer? If I prepare a dummy object for this, either I get an ArrayOutOfBounds or a ClassCastEx. This depends on the EditPart I create for my InterModelConnectionsContainer.

I would really appreciate any explanation of how to properly add a dummy model object that represents my InterModelConnections to the scene.
Thanks very much,
Lukas

[Updated on: Fri, 03 February 2012 12:25]

Re: ClassCastException on extended InterModelDiagramFigure [message #789810 is a reply to message #789799] Fri, 03 February 2012 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lukas,

our last comments just overlapped. The graph example actually isn't the best example for real inter model connections. In the Eclipse Magazin article, I distinguish between so called inter diagram connections (IDC) and inter model connections (IMC). An IDC is (in case of GEF3D) a 3D connection between elements displayed on different planes, but all elements (the connected nodes and the connection) are part of the same model. That is, all these elements "know" each other. An IMC usually is a kind of IDC, but the connection does not belong to the same model as the connected nodes. This is true for your case.

In the graph example, the connections between different graphs are actually stored in a separate model (the IntermodelContainer), but since they are of the same type as the "normal" edges, they are much easier to handle (as the connected nodes can handle them correctly). I think we have to modify the graph example or provide an extra inter model example. However, the example described in the article comes with real IMCs, that is the markers are connected to model elements, and these elements do not know anything about the markers. Note that the marker example of the article assumes that the edit parts of the connected elements do support the markers. This is why UndirectConnectionEditPart3D could be used. If you cannot adjust these edit parts, you will have to use ConnectedElementAdapter (in which case you do not need UndirectConnectionEditPart3D anymore).

Cheers,
Jens
Re: ClassCastException on extended InterModelDiagramFigure [message #789817 is a reply to message #789810] Fri, 03 February 2012 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Jens,
thanks for your reply. While you answered my question, I was already writing a new post. First of all, thanks for your reply. You are totally right, my question was lacking the explanation of the MVC for my TIReferences.
Root:   
    M   TIReferenceModel                        IntermodelContainer
    C   TIReferenceModelEditPart                IntermodelContainerPart 
         extends AbstractGraphicalEditPart        extends AbstractGraphicalEditPart
    V   TIReferenceModelFigure                  IntermodelContainerFigure 
         extends InterModelDiagramFigure          extends InterModelDiagramFigure

M TIReference                               Edge
    C TIReferenceEditPart                       IntermodelEdgePart 
       extends UndirectConnectionEditPart3D      extends AbstractConnectionEditPart3D
    V TIReferenceFigure3D                       EdgeFigure3D 
       extends PolylineConnection3D              extends PolylineConnection3D

The TIReferenceModelEditPart returns a List of TIReferences as modelChildren (Is this correct, since they are connections?).

Okay, in this configuration I take the following steps:
i. configure the multieditor
1. add an 3dified editor for each model - works fine.
2. create the TIReferenceModel
3. prepare the MultiEditorFactory with a factory for my controllers of the intermodelconnections.
4. add the TIReferennceModel to the MultiEditorModelContainer

The last step leads to the stacktrace listed below.

Thanks a lot,
Lukas

the object it occurs in is of type TIReferenceModelFigure.

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index does not exist
at org.eclipse.draw2d.Figure.add(Figure.java:139)
at org.eclipse.draw3d.Figure3D.add(Figure3D.java:198)
at org.eclipse.draw2d.Figure.add(Figure.java:184)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractGraphicalEditPart.addChildVisual(AbstractGraphicalEditPart.java:209)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.addChild(AbstractEditPart.java:210)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.refreshChildren(AbstractEditPart.java:773)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.refresh(AbstractEditPart.java:718)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractGraphicalEditPart.refresh(AbstractGraphicalEditPart.java:633)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.addNotify(AbstractEditPart.java:252)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractGraphicalEditPart.addNotify(AbstractGraphicalEditPart.java:223)
at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.addChild(AbstractEditPart.java:211)
at org.eclipse.gef3d.ext.multieditor.MultiEditorModelContainerEditPart.propertyChange(MultiEditorModelContainerEditPart.java:149)
at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(PropertyChangeSupport.java:339)
at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(PropertyChangeSupport.java:276)
at org.eclipse.gef3d.ext.multieditor.MultiEditorModelContainer.add(MultiEditorModelContainer.java:86)
at de.bitub.proitbau.core.ui.ti.process.gef3d.TIProcessGEFMultiEditor3D.initialiseDiagram(TIProcessGEFMultiEditor3D.java:47)
at de.bitub.proitbau.core.ui.ti.process.gef3d.TIProcessGEFMultiEditor3D.initializeGraphicalViewer(TIProcessGEFMultiEditor3D.java:104)
at org.eclipse.gef3d.ui.parts.GraphicalEditor3DWithFlyoutPalette.createGraphicalViewer(GraphicalEditor3DWithFlyoutPalette.java:67)
at org.eclipse.gef.ui.parts.GraphicalEditor.createPartControl(GraphicalEditor.java:171)
at org.eclipse.gef.ui.parts.GraphicalEditorWithFlyoutPalette.createPartControl(GraphicalEditorWithFlyoutPalette.java:75)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:670)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:465)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:595)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartPane.setVisible(PartPane.java:313)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.PresentablePart.setVisible(PresentablePart.java:180)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.PresentablePartFolder.select(PresentablePartFolder.java:270)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.LeftToRightTabOrder.select(LeftToRightTabOrder.java:65)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.TabbedStackPresentation.selectPart(TabbedStackPresentation.java:473)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.refreshPresentationSelection(PartStack.java:1254)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.setSelection(PartStack.java:1207)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.showPart(PartStack.java:1606)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.add(PartStack.java:497)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorStack.add(EditorStack.java:103)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.add(PartStack.java:483)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorStack.add(EditorStack.java:112)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorSashContainer.addEditor(EditorSashContainer.java:63)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorAreaHelper.addToLayout(EditorAreaHelper.java:225)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorAreaHelper.addEditor(EditorAreaHelper.java:213)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.createEditorTab(EditorManager.java:778)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditorFromDescriptor(EditorManager.java:677)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditor(EditorManager.java:638)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2860)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2768)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$11(WorkbenchPage.java:2760)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$10.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2711)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2707)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2691)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2674)
at de.bitub.proitbau.core.ui.ti.process.internal.OpenGEF3DEditorHandler.execute(OpenGEF3DEditorHandler.java:46)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(HandlerProxy.java:293)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command.java:476)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.ParameterizedCommand.executeWithChecks(ParameterizedCommand.java:508)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerService.executeCommand(HandlerService.java:169)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.SlaveHandlerService.executeCommand(SlaveHandlerService.java:241)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.SlaveHandlerService.executeCommand(SlaveHandlerService.java:241)
at org.eclipse.ui.menus.CommandContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(CommandContributionItem.java:820)
at org.eclipse.ui.menus.CommandContributionItem.access$19(CommandContributionItem.java:806)
at org.eclipse.ui.menus.CommandContributionItem$5.handleEvent(CommandContributionItem.java:796)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1053)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4066)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3657)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2640)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2604)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2438)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:671)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:664)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at de.bitub.proitbau.app.main.Application.start(Application.java:22)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:369)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:620)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:575)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1408)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1384)

[Updated on: Fri, 03 February 2012 13:10]

Re: ClassCastException on extended InterModelDiagramFigure [message #789827 is a reply to message #789817] Fri, 03 February 2012 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jens,
thanks again for your overlapping reply. As soon as I get this running I'd be pleased to provide such an example for the InterModel example. Nevertheless, I think that the InterGraphEdges from the Graph example are also available through the graphs or their nodes, because I am able to not create this InterModelContainer and do not prepare a Factory for this container (I just commented these lines). Thus, I do not understand how the model is traversed other than that the nodes reference these connections as well.

Concerning the UndirectConnectionEditPart3Ds: I thought to be able to return these as EditParts within my TIReferenceEditPartFactory. I set lookUpSource as well as lookUpTarget to true. Well, it might be that the problem is here: my editParts are not aware of these Connections and also might not support them, thus I would have to use the adapter attempt.

I'll go for that now.
Cheers,
Lukas
Re: ClassCastException on extended InterModelDiagramFigure [message #789893 is a reply to message #789817] Fri, 03 February 2012 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Lukas,

frankly, I haven't much time to look into that much deeper now. Well,
getModelChildren() is supposed to return the model children, and as far
as I can tell there is nothing stopping you from returning connections.

However, the GEF mechanism of actually gluing connections to the nodes
is a little bit weird: Let's say a model connection c_m is connecting
model node ns_m (node source) with nt_m (node target). Let's further say
c_ep, ns_ep, and nt_ep are the edit parts for these elements. Now, how
does it work with GEF:

Assume, ns_ep and ns_ep are already created and connected to their
models. I start with the source node, but source or target node can be
exchanged:

1) ns_ep.refreshSourceConnections() is called by some refresh mechanism
2) this calls ns_ep.getModelSourceConnections(), returning c_m
3) edit part c_ep for c_m is created (via the factory)4
4) c_ep's source is set to ns_ep.

At this point, although c_ep exists, it's figure is not created or drawn
-- for GEF, the connection is dangling wihout a target at the moment
(see AbstractConnectionEditPart.setSource/Target(EditPart)). Later on
(caused by the initial refresh or some other update mechanism), the
following happens:

5) nt_ep.refreshTragetConnections() is called
6) this calls nt_ep.getModelSourceConnections(), returning c_m
7) c_ep is not created again, but found
(see IFigure.createOrFindConnection()).
8) c_ep's target is set to nt_ep

Now, the connection edit part has source and target set, and the figure
can be drawn.

IMHO this is a design bug, as it's not the connection responsible for
gathering its source and target edit parts, but the source and target
edit parts are responsible for registering themselves to the connection.
This becomes a problem with unidirectional connections.

The UndirectConnectionEditPart3D behaves differently. While
AbstractConnectionEditPart.getSource/Target() are pure getters,
UndirectConnectionEditPart3D.getSource/Target() can resolve the edit
parts if necessary. This way, the node edit parts does not have to know
anything about the connection. And this is why you can return models
managed by UndirectConnectionEditPart3D in getModelChildren().

Again, this only works as long as the node edit parts can create an
anchor for your 3D connection in
NodeEditPart.getSource/TargetConnectionAnchor(). If your nodes cannot
created anchors for UndirectConnectionEditPart3D, you cannot use the
later. In that case, you will have to use the ConnectedElementAdapter
pattern provided by GEF3D. In that case you do not have to use the
UndirectConnectionEditPart3D. The adapter pattern basically creates
invisible nodes attaching themselves to the source and target node.
Then, the connection is a standard GEF connection, connecting these
little invisible adapters (instead of the real nodes). Since the
adapters are fully aware of the connection, you can use the standard GEF
mechanism as described above.

Cheers,
Jens

P.S.: If you have a working example, stripped down to inter model
connections, it would be great to make this available to others. I'm
looking forward to it.
Re: ClassCastException on extended InterModelDiagramFigure [message #789977 is a reply to message #789893] Fri, 03 February 2012 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jens,
sometimes one is just a blockhead. Thanks for the explanation of the GEF connection behaviour. I was partly aware of it because I also had to debug this several times. The adapter pattern totally did the trick. I now create a standard additonal graph model (nodes and edges) for my connections and the container returns these adapters as modelChildren. The adapters know about their connections and everything works as expected (see below)! I did not spend much time on the rendering though. Our editors create figures with gradients and so on, but this is of minor interest. I had to see the reference to find out what my model looks like.

Thanks a million for your time.
I will work out a (simple) example stripped down to just these intermodelConnections and the addition of an InterModelContainer. I'll let you know as soon as it's finished.
Thx so much for GEF3D. Great framework!
Cheers, Lukas

index.php/fa/7017/0/
  • Attachment: GEF3D_IMC.PNG
    (Size: 100.08KB, Downloaded 1392 times)
Re: ClassCastException on extended InterModelDiagramFigure [message #790091 is a reply to message #789977] Fri, 03 February 2012 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lukas,

that looks great, congratulations!

Cheers,
Jens
Re: ClassCastException on extended InterModelDiagramFigure [message #1009413 is a reply to message #790091] Fri, 15 February 2013 05:06 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Thanks for info.
Previous Topic:X3D Renderer for Draw3D
Next Topic:Custom window properties
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:20:34 GMT 2024