Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » How to show Splash Screen when using Java Web Start?(Would like to know how to get my RCP application's splash screen to show up when my application is launched using Java Web Start.)
How to show Splash Screen when using Java Web Start? [message #787546] Tue, 31 January 2012 17:51 Go to next message
Aaron L is currently offline Aaron LFriend
I currently have an RCP application that displays a splash screen when run. This works fine when my application is launched through the Eclipse IDE or when my product is exported and run.

However, when I create and export a deployable feature that includes my product and the equinox launcher for launching via Java Web Start, my splash screen does not show.

In my main JNLP I have included the following sections:

<application-desc main-class="org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.WebStartMain">
   <argument>-showsplash</argument>
</application-desc>

<resources>
   <jar href="plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.1.R36x_v20101122_1400.jar"/>

<extension name="My Feature" href="features/myFeature.jnlp"/>

<property name="osgi.instance.area" value="@user.home/myApp"/>
   <property name="osgi.install.area" value="@user.home/myApp/osgi"/>
   <property name="osgi.configuration.area" value="@user.home/myApp"/>
   <property name="osgi.splashPath" value="platform:/base/plugins/<my jar that contains splash.bmp>"/>

<property name="eclipse.product" value="<my product id>"/>
</resources>

When launching my application using Java Web Start, it opens and runs fine but I don't get the splash screen to show up when it is starting.

I am using the launcher included with Eclipse Helios SR2 Build id: 20110218-0911.

Are there some other tags I am missing or is this a bug?
Re: How to show Splash Screen when using Java Web Start? [message #788283 is a reply to message #787546] Wed, 01 February 2012 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Casas is currently offline David CasasFriend

Hi Aaron,

are you sure you have the correct path in the osgi.splashPath attribute?

<property name="osgi.splashPath" value="platform:/base/plugins/<my jar that contains splash.bmp>"/>

My splash is working right on Windows 7 64b, I also have eclipse.product and osgi.sharedConfiguration.area on my jnlp, try both of them and also allows all permissions to the jnlp...
Re: How to show Splash Screen when using Java Web Start? [message #789900 is a reply to message #788283] Fri, 03 February 2012 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi David,

Thanks for the response. I pretty sure my splashPath is correct. I've followed the example described here: http://www.toedter.com/blog/?p=650

The jar containing splash.bmp is located in the plugins directory of my web app as showed below:

root/
|-webstart/
|-features/
|-plugins/
| |-com.mycompany.myapp.jar (this jar contains splash.bmp)
|
|-main.jnlp

Inside my main.jnlp, I have the following:

<application-desc main-class="org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.WebStartMain">
   <argument>-showsplash</argument>
</application-desc>

<resources>
   <jar href="plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.1.R36x_v20101122_1400.jar"/>

<extension name="My Feature" href="features/myFeature.jnlp"/>

<property name="osgi.instance.area" value="@user.home/myApp"/>
   <property name="osgi.install.area" value="@user.home/myApp/osgi"/>
   <property name="osgi.configuration.area" value="@user.home/myApp"/>
   <property name="osgi.splashPath" value="platform:/base/plugins/com.mycompany.myapp"/>

<property name="eclipse.product" value="<my product id>"/>
</resources>

I don't have a osgi.sharedConfiguration.area specified, but I'm not sure that will make a difference. I will try it though.

What version of Eclipse and Java are you using? I am using Eclipse Helios SR2 with Java 1.6 update 29.

I have come across these bugs, that I think might be causing the splash screen issue but if you have it working using the same versions of Eclipse and Java as me, then it must be something in my main.jnlp that is incorrect.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=240212
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=209694
Re: How to show Splash Screen when using Java Web Start? [message #797525 is a reply to message #789900] Mon, 13 February 2012 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Casas is currently offline David CasasFriend

I am working with Eclipse Indigo with Java 1.6 and I have been able to see my splash in Windows, Ubuntu and Mac, so there must be a problem in your JNLP...have u any other resources?
Re: How to show Splash Screen when using Java Web Start? [message #797713 is a reply to message #797525] Mon, 13 February 2012 20:40 Go to previous message
I haven't been able to get my splash screen working and have tried pretty much all of the examples I have found on the web, but since you are having success with Eclipse Indigo, I will experiment with that instead of Helios. Maybe there was a fix in Helios that I overlooked.

Thanks for your help.
Previous Topic:RCP application installation directory
Next Topic:How to redraw the status line
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:13:09 GMT 2024