Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » EDT 0.8 Milestone 1 available
icon1.gif  EDT 0.8 Milestone 1 available [message #787362] Tue, 31 January 2012 13:56 Go to next message
Theresa Ramsey is currently offline Theresa RamseyFriend
The first milestone build for EDT 0.8 is now available for download. Check out the new and noteworthy page to explore the 60+ bug fixes and enhancements (and more) in this milestone.

For a description of the different builds, read our latest blog on the Community page.

Re: EDT 0.8 Milestone 1 available [message #787528 is a reply to message #787362] Tue, 31 January 2012 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend

I do have M1 installed now but I wasn't sure from the instructions on the download page if the steps I took are correct. Here's what I did:

1. Since I had some patches and things in place that I didn't want to play a role going forward I started with a fresh all-in-one install of EDT for Windows.
2. I went to Help -> Install new software and then clicked into "Available software sites"
3. I noted that the all-in-one install had added entries for "releases" and "updates". I added a new site for "milstones" and I unchecked the "releases" and "updates" sites.
4. Back on the Install pane I was then able to choose my "milstones" site from the list and select it for installation.

My questions are:

1. Was I correct to uncheck "updates" and "releases"?
2. I'm guessing that future milstones will install when I use Help -> Check for updates but I will have to re-enable "releases" and or "updates" and disable "milstones" at some future point to get a new release. Correct?
3. Why have both "releases" and "updates" sites? What's the difference? Reading the instructions makes it seems like these are redundant.

If it is correct to add a "milestones" site and uncheck "releases" and "updates" sites as I did then it would be helpful to have this indicated on the download/install instructions page. All it says now is "To install, see the update site installation instructions above." -- but I'm not convinced that this is sufficient if indeed there are additional steps required.

Thanks,

Dan

Re: EDT 0.8 Milestone 1 available [message #787567 is a reply to message #787528] Tue, 31 January 2012 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dan,
1. You did the right thing by adding the milestone site to find 0.8.0 M1. You don't have to uncheck the other EDT sites for releases and updates.
2. As mentioned in the latest blog, the Check for Updates should find M2 when it's available.
3. Releases contains Eclipse and EDT while Updates is only EDT. The zips for Updates is therefore smaller.

For more information, you can see the EDT Update Site Guidelines page on the EDT wiki.

Hope this helps!
Theresa
Re: EDT 0.8 Milestone 1 available [message #787621 is a reply to message #787567] Tue, 31 January 2012 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend
Hi Theresa,

The additional information is very much appreciated! I feel completely illuminated now concerning the handling of EDT updates of all varieties.

Thank you!

--Dan
Re: EDT 0.8 Milestone 1 available [message #789395 is a reply to message #787362] Thu, 02 February 2012 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James R. Martin is currently offline James R. MartinFriend
Theresa:

I downloaded edt-Update-R080M1.zip and upziped it to where I have
EGL EDT Version 0.7 then started EDT EGL V 0.7 and went to help a
selected Install New Software and gave it the link:
download.eclipse.org/edt/milestones/1.0/

it displayed:

EGL Web Developer Tools 0.8.0.v201201241724-1CT-Fiv5_M5_M8ePz-8c
EGL Web Developer Tools Source Code 0.8.0.v201201241724-1CT-Fiv5_M5_M8ePz-8c
EGL Web Developer Tools with Source Code 0.8.0.v201201241724-17F-7zHW3Klz-AgQFeTAieT1RMw6

I clicked next and got the error:

Cannot complete the request. See the error log for details.
"EGL Web Developer Tools" will be ignored because it is already installed.
"EGL Web Developer Tools Source Code" will be ignored because it is already installed.

when you do about it show version 0.7 and not Version 0.8

What am I doing wrong?

James
James R. Martin
J. Martin Associates
5185 Tara Ln., Bossier City, LA 71111 - 7810
Phone: (318) 752-4109 Cell Phone: ( 318) 773-9484
Personal e-mail:
Re: EDT 0.8 Milestone 1 available [message #790162 is a reply to message #789395] Fri, 03 February 2012 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi James,
You should use the Help>Install New Software functionality of Eclipse to install EDT (or other Eclipse plugins). There are 2* main ways to install EDT.

One way is via an update site, where Eclipse handles the download and install for you as a single process. To use an update site, paste the URL (for EDT 0.8.0 M1 the URL is download.eclipse.org/edt/milestones/1.0/) into the Location field of the Add Repository dialog.

The second way to install EDT is to use a browser (same URL as above) to download the .zip file (for EDT 0.8 M1 it's named edt-Update-R080M1.zip), then click the Archive button of the Add Repository dialog and point to that zip. One advantage to using the zip is that you can download it once and install it to multiple Eclipse environments.

(*I believe there is a third way, where you unzip the zip and click the Local button of Add Repository dialog to point to the directory you unzipped to...but why unzip if you don't have to. Smile )

In your case, it seems you have unzipped the zip plus added the update site, when only one is necessary.

It's not recommended to just unzip the file into your existing Eclipse environment. You should use Eclipse's Install New Software functionality. That way, dependencies are checked for before installing, and you can uninstall just that plugin or feature. Plus, Eclipse then knows about the feature to perform additional updates correctly.

Once you install EDT 0.8 M1, you should see Eclipse EDT Developer Tools (EDT) feature with 0.8 (M1 starts v20120124..., which is the build date: Jan 24, 2012) as version under the Help>About. Look for the EGL icon to see the features and versions appear.

Hope this helps!
Theresa
Re: EDT 0.8 Milestone 1 available [message #790185 is a reply to message #790162] Fri, 03 February 2012 23:10 Go to previous message
James R. Martin is currently offline James R. MartinFriend
Theresa:

Thanks, I uninstalled and reinstalled via an update site with the
url download.eclipse.org/edt/milestones/1.0/

It installed but did not change the version under the Help>About.

It is probably OK because it shows when you click on the EGL icon
Version: 0.8.0.v201201241724-1CT-Fiv5_M5_M8ePz-8c

James

[Updated on: Fri, 03 February 2012 23:11]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:When can we expect 0.8 M1?
Next Topic:Compatibility EDT versus RBDv8.0.1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 14:44:56 GMT 2024