Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Clone from github never finishes(I have to force eclipse to close, and hasn't downloaded all files)
icon5.gif  Clone from github never finishes [message #783756] Thu, 26 January 2012 11:52 Go to next message
Drew Spencer is currently offline Drew SpencerFriend
Hi all,

Quite new to this git thing but am learning the concepts slowly.

I work alone so I am only using git to a) branch to add new features and b) clone to my home machine if I want to work from home.

I have previously cloned a couple of repos from github, and they worked fine. Now I am trying to do it on a larger project, which has multiple branches, and I keep getting the same problem - the wizard downloads everything (so it thinks), the progress bar is full but the window never closes. When I look at the files in the folder in my workspace they are not all there. For some reason git is not downloading everything. I made sure I did a merge to master from the branch I was working on.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have tried download all branches, and just one. I updated my egit but the same thing still happens. Maybe my branches are messed up or there's something i'm just not getting?

Thanks for reading,

Drew
Re: Clone from github never finishes [message #784012 is a reply to message #783756] Thu, 26 January 2012 23:31 Go to previous message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
Drew Spencer skrev 2012-01-26 12.52:
> Hi all,
>
> Quite new to this git thing but am learning the concepts slowly.
>
> I work alone so I am only using git to a) branch to add new features and b) clone to my home machine if I want to work from home.
>
> I have previously cloned a couple of repos from github, and they worked fine. Now I am trying to do it on a larger project, which has multiple branches, and I keep getting
> the same problem - the wizard downloads everything (so it thinks), the progress bar is full but the window never closes. When I look at the files in the folder in my
> workspace they are not all there. For some reason git is not downloading everything. I made sure I did a merge to master from the branch I was working on.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this? I have tried download all branches, and just one. I updated my egit but the same thing still happens. Maybe my branches are
> messed up or there's something i'm just not getting?

My guess is that there is something bad happening at checkout time. Look for error messages
in the <workspace>/.metadata/.log or Error View in Eclipse. Also dump the stacks of the
executing eclipse which can be done with the program jstack in your JDK directory.

-- robin
Previous Topic:what is the difference between Jgit and Egit
Next Topic:Best practices new branches, switching branches and projects that disappear?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:28:51 GMT 2024