Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » Problem with running CVS sources
Problem with running CVS sources [message #783709] Thu, 26 January 2012 09:25 Go to next message
Morten Krøyer is currently offline Morten KrøyerFriend
Hi

I've just started an academic project in which I might need to modify or extend the EDT sources.

I have followed the wiki's EDT:Developer's_Guide_to_Getting_Started_on_EDT (I can't make links yet...) to check out the EDT sources from CVS, and after a bit of struggling I got them working in both Indigo and Helios (should I be using Helios for this or should Indigo work as well?)

Running the project in debug mode I can create som EGL code, but as soon as I try to create a web-application which imports the two widget projects, I get 100 (literally) errors in those two projects. Most of them a related to strLib.default formats or RUILib.INCLIDE_ALL_EXCEPT. In general there seems to be problems with including imports properly.

Am I missing someting or doing something wrong?
I can install the 0.7 and the nightly builds and everything works as a charm, it's only the cvs sources that creates this error. (I'm installing sources into a seperate eclipse installation from the one with build-versions)

Also it seems that I need to have the BIRT extension installed in order for the EDT project to run properly. Is that intended? If so, it should be mentioned in teh guide.

Re: Problem with running CVS sources [message #783776 is a reply to message #783709] Thu, 26 January 2012 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Svihovec is currently offline Brian SvihovecFriend
Morten,

Regarding the issues you are having with the widget projects, I believe the answer you are looking for can be found in the "EDT Widget Project Development Considerations" section of the following link: http://wiki.eclipse.org/EDT:Widgets. Let us know if you need additional information.

I do not believe that there is a requirement on the BIRT extension in EDT. Can you describe some of the error messages you are seeing that seem to indicate that there is a requirement? Also, what type of Eclipse IDE are you using (i.e. Classic, JEE, etc)?

-Brian
Re: Problem with running CVS sources [message #783804 is a reply to message #783776] Thu, 26 January 2012 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the swift reply Smile

As far as birt dependancy it's primarily due to the fact that org.eclipse.edt.ide.eunit project has imports like:

import org.eclipse.birt.chart.device.IDeviceRenderer;
import org.eclipse.birt.chart.factory.GeneratedChartState;

generating errors.

As I read the widget wiki-page, I should not check out some of the widget projects from cvs (unless i specifically want to develop them or have to manually edit the auto-created projects when I'm testing things not related to widgets)?

I just checked out everything (as the instructions said "...Repeat for all of the peers of "core" (like "debug", etc.) to load the rest of the plugins.")
Re: Problem with running CVS sources [message #783806 is a reply to message #783804] Thu, 26 January 2012 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and I'm using the Java EE version of eclipse.
Re: Problem with running CVS sources [message #783841 is a reply to message #783806] Thu, 26 January 2012 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Svihovec is currently offline Brian SvihovecFriend
Morten,

The EUnit plug-ins are only required if you are planning to run the automated EGL language compliance tests for EDT. You probably don't need those right now, and you should be able to either delete these plug-ins, or ignore any errors in these projects when launching a runtime workspace. If you do want to run the EUnit test suite, you will need to add the BIRT extensions to your development workspace.

Regarding the widget issues, I have updated the WIKI page I mentioned above to include a better explanation of the problem and the solution. Even if you are not modifying code in the widget projects, you will still need to check out the latest version of these projects from CVS in your runtime workspace to avoid the compile errors that you are currently seeing. This is due to the fact that the version of the widget projects used by the New Project wizard come from the org.eclipse.edt.ide.ui.resources plug-in, which in your development workspace contains a version of the widget projects that were created a long time ago. To make things a bit more complicated, you can't replace the Dojo widget project (i.e. org.eclipse.edt.rui.dojo_0.7.0 or org.eclipse.edt.rui.dojo.remote_0.7.0) with the version of these projects stored in CVS, since the content for these projects is not updated in CVS either. Each of these Dojo projects is built from two additional projects, which are stored in CVS, and it is these two projects that you will need to check out from CVS.

Hopefully the WIKI now contains enough information for you to resolve the compile errors in your runtime workspace, but let me know if it does not and I can make updates as necessary.

-Brian
Re: Problem with running CVS sources [message #786271 is a reply to message #783841] Mon, 30 January 2012 07:53 Go to previous message
Hi

Thanks. I'll have a look at it again.

I'll delete the EUnit packages. Maybe we should update the wiki with a notes saying that errors in Eunit packages can be ignored...

Maybe a link to the widget wiki would be good too.

I've been looking a bit more at it, I'm thinking, that probably i won't need the ibmi sources either...
Are there any descriptions of what the different packages do for reference?

Thanks again

Morten
Previous Topic:Building workspace freezes when migrating from RBD
Next Topic:Help Requested
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:25:43 GMT 2024