Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » New Derby Database(unable to access data from newly created database)
New Derby Database [message #781051] Fri, 20 January 2012 08:45 Go to next message
Jeff Hoare is currently offline Jeff HoareFriend
Hi,

I have followed the minicrm tutorial and this works great I can access the database and the application works as expected. I now want to create my own application and have created a new derby database for this purpose.

The problem is that when I try to run the application I just get a general processing error with no detail. If I create the table with data in the minicrm example database and change the connection settings on my project then the application works and I can retrieve data. If I connect to the new database from the command line using the derby tools then I can access data and run a select on the database table and get data back ok.

I have checked all the obvious things I can think of; database name and location is correct as is username/password.

Is it possible to enable more extensive logging other than the console that would perhaps indicate why it's failing, or alternatively are there any common things that I may have overlooked.

I have attached the console log which does have a error, but I'm not familiar with what its referring too by the error "at $Proxy8.getRouterPasswordData(Unknown Source)"

Regards Jeff
  • Attachment: error.txt
    (Size: 4.26KB, Downloaded 352 times)
Re: New Derby Database [message #781066 is a reply to message #781051] Fri, 20 January 2012 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bruno Koeferli is currently offline Bruno KoeferliFriend
Hi Jeff

It seems that something on the server part is wrong. The attached console log is from the client and shows a general error message which normally occures due to server errors during server calls. The "real" exception can be found in the server log.

More details about Scout client - server communication can be found under Concepts/Communication in Scout wiki.

Regards
Bruno
Re: New Derby Database [message #781076 is a reply to message #781066] Fri, 20 January 2012 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Bruno Köferli wrote on Fri, 20 January 2012 11:13
More details about Scout client - server communication can be found under Concepts/Communication in Scout wiki.

Link to the page: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Scout/Concepts/Communication

[Updated on: Fri, 20 January 2012 12:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New Derby Database [message #781208 is a reply to message #781076] Fri, 20 January 2012 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks for the pointers, it seems that the error is caused by the version of derby I have used version 10.8 is the latest, but this is incompatible with the current version of software (Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Database at C:\configDB has an incompatible format with the current version of the software. The database was created by or upgraded by version 10.8.). Does this mean I must use (I think that the example uses version 10.2) or is there an alternative?

Regards jeff
Re: New Derby Database [message #781248 is a reply to message #781208] Fri, 20 January 2012 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Ok I found the dependency on version 5.3.0 of derby in the plugin.xml file for the server, so I have recreated the database using this version of the database software and all works as expected. If I want to use the latest version is there a preferred way to accomplish this? Do I simply replace the derby.jar file in the scout derby plugin library (as its seems the version are backward compatible) or is there a better way to do this. Sorry for the confusion on my part I assumed that the derby.jar file I place in the java lib directory was being used.

Regards Jeff
Re: New Derby Database [message #781300 is a reply to message #781248] Fri, 20 January 2012 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having a lib folder, adding jars like lib/derby.jar and adding them to the class-path is how JAVA SE works.
Eclipse uses OSGi to manage dependencies at runtime.

I do not know why Eclipse Scout uses an old version of derby...

For more information on jdbc connection bundle, read this how-to:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Scout/HowTo/Write_a_jdbc_connection_bundle
Re: New Derby Database [message #789808 is a reply to message #781248] Fri, 03 February 2012 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Hoare wrote on Fri, 20 January 2012 22:33
If I want to use the latest version is there a preferred way to accomplish this? Do I simply replace the derby.jar file in the scout derby plugin library (as its seems the version are backward compatible) or is there a better way to do this.

Change request to upgrade the version of Derby: Bugzilla 370544

Re: New Derby Database [message #809462 is a reply to message #789808] Tue, 28 February 2012 22:44 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Updated Derby JDBC driver to Version 10.8.2.2.
SVN: http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/technology/org.eclipse.scout/scout.rt/trunk/org.apache.derby.jdbc_1082.fragment
Target release: 3.8

For early birds the current new version can be checked out from svn. Do not forget to update your product files with the newer version.

-andreas
Previous Topic:Hello World Swing Client not showing up?
Next Topic:Authentication on Tomcat
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:56:01 GMT 2024