Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Excel file as data source
Excel file as data source [message #780698] Thu, 19 January 2012 05:47 Go to next message
Claire Lee is currently offline Claire LeeFriend
Hi, I have a few questions about using excel as data source. I am trying to use excel file as data source as I need to be able to change the data for parameter prior prior to executing the test in automated environment. However, I am always getting "Not supported file type in </path/to/excel/spreadsheet> was chosen as data source. I would like to know what kind of excel spreadsheet's extension is supported? xls, xlsx and/or csv?

Also, the path that I specified for excel data source seems to be always relative to jubula workspace. For e.g.: if I specified /a/b/c as excel path, Jubula will be checking for </path/to/jubula/workspace>/a/b/c for excel file. I have tried setting AUT base directory so it is relative to the specified directory but it doesn't seem to be working as expected.

I have read user manual for excel configuration and defined my excel spreadsheet with parameter on first row, and data value on second row and named my sheet en_US. Please let me know what I have missed out.

Thanks!
Re: Excel file as data source [message #780706 is a reply to message #780698] Thu, 19 January 2012 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi,

The path for Excel files is set in the preferences.

In terms of the actual Excel file, I tried using Excel 2010 in both .xlsx and .xls (compatibility mode) and also received errors. I'll check to see if there's something I'm missing and open a bug if not. In the meantime - what data do you need to change prior to test execution? Could using variables in the test or system variables help you out?

Regards,
Alex
Re: Excel file as data source [message #780713 is a reply to message #780706] Thu, 19 January 2012 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Claire Lee is currently offline Claire LeeFriend
Alex, thanks for your suggestions. System variables do what I need for now. As for reading the value stored in AUT I still don't quite get where (and how) the value is stored?

Data that I need to change are like installation path, content URI based on the test environment setup and etc..
Re: Excel file as data source [message #780724 is a reply to message #780713] Thu, 19 January 2012 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Update on the Excel: I've now tried it with a file created with Excel 2003 and had no problems, so it is definitely a version issue. Anything created with Excel 2010 won't work - I assume this has something to do with the support in the library we use to read Excel files.

In terms of reading and using variables from the AUT: if you have e.g. running customer numbers (or other things that can't be defined in advance), then you can read the value that is shown in the AUT, store it in a variable, and enter the variable as $VAR_NAME later on in the test so you can use the value without ever having to know what it was. There are specific actions available to handle the storing of variables.

Best regards,
Alex
Re: Excel file as data source [message #1004383 is a reply to message #780724] Wed, 23 January 2013 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Himanshu Parmar is currently offline Himanshu ParmarFriend
Hi Alex,

I am also getting the same error while using excel files (.xls). I am using Excel 2003 SP3. Do you have any other update on this?

Thanks,
Himanshu
Re: Excel file as data source [message #1005144 is a reply to message #1004383] Thu, 24 January 2013 14:53 Go to previous message
Hi Himanshu,

If you're using Excel 2003, then it should work. Have you made sure you're following all the steps in the documentation to configure the Excel file?

Best regards,
Alex
Previous Topic:Testing Drag and Drop
Next Topic:Getting Execution Error: "component must be showing on the screen to determine its locatio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:02:38 GMT 2024