Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » AMP » distance between agents
distance between agents [message #779443] Sun, 15 January 2012 18:57 Go to next message
giorgos  is currently offline giorgos Friend
Hi,

I was wondering what exactly does the function org.ascape.model.Scape.calculateDistance(LocatedAgent origin,LocatedAgent target)
calculates.Does it calculate the distance according to the option that has been chosen for the Neighborhood of the Space (Moore,Euclidian,Von_Neumann)? As I noticed by observing the values that the function returns, I think that is calculates only the difference of the x coordinate.For example, for the distance between agent1, whose hostCell is [8,14], and agent2, whose hostCell is [13,33], it returns 5 (13-8).

Agent1 Cell [8, 14]
Agent2 Cell [13, 33]
Distance 5.0

In this example, if I have understood well the meaning of the Moore distance, I think that the Moore distance is 19. Is there any other function that returns this distance?
Re: distance between agents [message #779864 is a reply to message #779443] Mon, 16 January 2012 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Yes, it is defined by the space of the Scape. Note that Moore distance will always be the max of either the x or y delta. It's possible that you're actually computing distance within a one-dimensional space, so check that. But what I think may be happening is that you're in periodic (toroidal) space in which case the y coordinates are actually nearer each other. How big is the space?
Re: distance between agents [message #780235 is a reply to message #779864] Tue, 17 January 2012 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
giorgos  is currently offline giorgos Friend
The Space I use is 2-dimensional and its size is 50x50. The option Border Rule is set to Aperiodic, so I don't think that this is the problem. I have noticed that the function calculateDistance() always returns the x difference even if the y difference is bigger. However, the function

this.getHostCell().getDistance(Agent2.getHostCell());

returns the Moore distance between Agent2 and the agent that is calling the function. So, I think that I will do it this way.
Re: distance between agents [message #780366 is a reply to message #780235] Tue, 17 January 2012 17:09 Go to previous message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
I wonder if this is a bug that might have been fixed on the Ascape side but not yet brought over to the Eclipse version. You might check the Ascape forum for related bugs.
Previous Topic:Agent having dynamic structures
Next Topic:Cannot see graph view
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:42:16 GMT 2024