Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » cs-make-No rule to make target - Help!!!(CodeSourcery G++ Lite - CDT - Build Failure )
cs-make-No rule to make target - Help!!! [message #778936] Sat, 14 January 2012 06:46 Go to next message
tma tmall@telus.net is currently offline tma tmall@telus.netFriend
Greetings All:

I seem to be stuck with this problem as I have struggled with it for a few days now. I am attempting to establish an ARM GUI development system using Eclipse/CDT as the IDE. The software chain info is as follows:

- Operating System_________: Windows XP/SP3
- Microcontroller family___: STM32 ARM Cortex M4
- Java jre_________________: Version 6 installed in C:\java\jre6\bin
- GUI IDE__________________: Eclipse version Helios installed in C:\eclipse
- GNU ARM Eclipse Plug-In__: CDT version 0.5.3.20101014...
- CodeSourcery Tool Chain__: Lite G++ arm-2011.09-69-arm-none-eabi-win32 in C:\GCCARM

I am trying to use the Helios version of Eclipse with the GNU ARM C/C++ version 0.5.3.20101014... plugIn as I understand this combination has been proven to work well.

When I try to build my project I get the following error from "cs-make":

"No rule to make target `Template_C.elf', needed by `all'. Stop"

I discovered there is a problem in the "automatically generated" makefile. Here is a snip from a proven makefile that I copied from an example I found on the Internet:

# *****************_proven makefile start_******************

# All Target
all: LED_Blink.elf secondary-outputs

# Tool invocations
LED_Blink.elf: $(OBJS) $(USER_OBJS)
@echo 'Building target: $@'
@echo 'Invoking: ARM Sourcery Windows GCC C Linker'

# ****************_proven makefile end_****************

Below is the corresponding code from within my defective makefile. Note that the argument for the "all: Template_C.elf" target has not been filled in by the makefile automatic generator. Also note the @echo error message under "# Tool invocations".

# *****************_defective makefile start_******************

# All Target
all: Template_C.elf

# Tool invocations
@echo 'No tool found that can build the extension specified with
the build artifact name $@'

USER_OBJS: $(OBJS) $(USER_OBJS)
@echo 'Invoking: ARM Sourcery Windows GCC C Linker'

# *****************_defective makefile end_******************

I further noticed that the arguments also seem to be missing in the ".project" hidden file generated by Eclipse. I believe the lines shown below are the associated lines with the error in the makefile. Note that there isn't any data between the "<value></value>" delimiters in the line below the "<key>org.eclipse.cdt.make.core.buildArguments</key>" line:

# ***********************************************************

<dictionary>
<key>org.eclipse.cdt.make.core.autoBuildTarget</key>
<value>all</value>
</dictionary>
<dictionary>
<key>org.eclipse.cdt.make.core.buildArguments</key>
<value></value>
</dictionary>
<dictionary>
<key>org.eclipse.cdt.make.core.buildCommand</key>
<value>C:\GCCARM\bin\cs-make</value>
</dictionary>
<dictionary>
<key>org.eclipse.cdt.make.core.buildLocation</key>
<value>${workspace_loc:/Template_C/Debug}</value>
</dictionary>

# ***********************************************************

I noticed reports of problems associated with spaces in directory names. I re-installed Java, Eclipse and G++ directly under the C: drive root directory to avoid using "Program Files". This did seem to fix one of the automatically generated paths but I am still getting the same error.

I have installed paths to Java and code Sourcery "bin" directories within my PATH environmental variable list. I have created a JAVA_HOME variable pointing to the java jre6 bin. I have gone over the project properties numerous times and I think I have the needed directory paths listed and I think I have the options set correctly but possibly I have missed something???

I wonder if anyone in this forum can offer some suggestions? I have run out of ideas and don't know how to narrow this down further.

Thanks for your interest!

tma

icon14.gif  Re: cs-make-No rule to make target - Help!!! [message #780464 is a reply to message #778936] Wed, 18 January 2012 06:45 Go to previous message
tma tmall@telus.net is currently offline tma tmall@telus.netFriend
Rolling Eyes Greetings:

I started over with Eclipse Indigo, latest GNUARM plugin and a fresh project. The problem disappeared. I went back to Eclipse Helios and did a fresh re-install of the Eclipse Helios package with a fresh project and found I could not duplicate the problem. If it happens again I will make a fresh project and import the files from the old project. I suspect the project definition probably was corrupted somehow.

This was a good learning exercise, (:/).

javascript:%20insertTag(document.post_form.msg_body,%20'',%20'%20:roll:%20');

tma
Previous Topic:Problem occouring with the compiler (eclipse with cygwin)
Next Topic:Convert C++ project to Syncrhonized and Git Syncrhonization issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:34:51 GMT 2024