Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Symbol 'std' could not be resolved(How can I get out these problem description)
Symbol 'std' could not be resolved [message #778572] Fri, 13 January 2012 10:14 Go to next message
framontb framontb is currently offline framontb framontbFriend
Hello,

I'm working in Windows vista with Eclipse INDIGO and MinGW 4.6.2

I compile and run the "Hello world" program without problems.

The question is that Eclipse's editor says that "Symbol 'std' could not be resolved"

I added these path in the project properties to avoid the " Unresolved inclusion" message:

At eclipse: project > properties > C/C++ General > Paths and Symbols > GNU C++ > Add : C:\MinGW\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.6.2\include\c++

What can I do to avoid the "Symbol 'std' could not be resolved" problem?

Regards: Ramón

Re: Symbol 'std' could not be resolved [message #778694 is a reply to message #778572] Fri, 13 January 2012 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
framontb framontb is currently offline framontb framontbFriend
It is a bug reported and not solved: Bug 353719 - Built-in includes seem to be broken for Cross GCC

Now I'm using the previous version eclipse Helios that works without the bug.

Regards: framontb
Re: Symbol 'std' could not be resolved [message #778988 is a reply to message #778572] Sat, 14 January 2012 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeroonk   is currently offline Jeroonk Friend
Do you perhaps have an operating system which is not set to US English as default language?
I am working with a set-up almost exactly as you have, and have been struggling with a similar problem since I upgraded MinGW to 4.6.2.

Normally, CDT should detect the installation of MinGW and also auto-discover include configurations and symbols when you build a project.
There should be no need to manually add those standard include paths.

The way CDT does this is by compiling a small file, and analyzing the output of the compiler.
It then extracts all necessary compiler configuration from this output, e.g. include-paths and symbols.
You can find these option under: "(Project) Properties -> C/C++ Build -> Discovery Options".

Since a few versions ago (I don't know the exact one), MinGW enabled support for localized compiler output.
If you are running a French operating system, you will get French compiler warnings and messages.

CDT doesn't like this; it's auto-discovery becomes broken, and you are left with an editor which doesn't know about the standard library includes.

To fix this, I forced the compiler to use English output when building:
Under "Window -> Preferences -> C/C++ -> Build -> Environment", add two new environment variables "LANG" and "LC_ALL" and set them both to "en_US".

Rebuild your project, and CDT should discover the correct include paths again.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 January 2012 12:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Symbol 'std' could not be resolved [message #779668 is a reply to message #778694] Mon, 16 January 2012 09:43 Go to previous message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
framontb framontb wrote on Fri, 13 January 2012 17:41
It is a bug reported and not solved: Bug 353719 - Built-in includes seem to be broken for Cross GCC

Now I'm using the previous version eclipse Helios that works without the bug.

Regards: framontb

You should select the MinGW-Toolchain in Eclipse and not Cross GCC. Then scanner discovery will find all the includes automatically.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Previous Topic:java where did it go
Next Topic:Postgresql precompiler ECPG on C++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:52:40 GMT 2024