Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » AspectJ » headless AJDT: one aspect, many projects
headless AJDT: one aspect, many projects [message #778293] Thu, 12 January 2012 07:55 Go to next message
Missing name Missing name is currently offline Missing name Missing nameFriend
hello, everyone.
i am running eclipse 3.5. quick disclaimer: please do not ask me why such an old version, or tell me that i should upgrade to at least 3.6. believe me, i cannot wait to move to a more recent version, but i am "married" to this version for the moment.

i also have AJDT 2.1.1 in the "dropins" dir.

my rcp application is comprised of a number of plugin projects, with one of those projects bearing a single aspect (.aj) file. the aspect-bearing project exports the package with the aspect file, and all of my other projects reference this project via "Require-Bundle". the aspect-bearing project also contains an aop.xml in its META-INF.

my goal is to weave all of the projects via an ajdt-pde headless build. i have converted all the projects to be woven into AspectJ projects. then i right-click on each, select "AspectJ Tools"->"Configure AspectJ Build Path", click on "Aspect Path" tab, and then select the build output folder for the aspect file via "Add Class Folder" button. that does the trick in the ide, as all those projects get woven and work exactly as i want them to. however, i do not get the same result via the headless build. the app builds fine, yet only the aspect-bearing project gets woven. the rest of the projects do not. please help me! thank you!!!
Re: headless AJDT: one aspect, many projects [message #778524 is a reply to message #778293] Fri, 13 January 2012 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Eisenberg is currently offline Andrew EisenbergFriend
You are not going to like this, but...you need to upgrade to at least 3.6, but preferably 3.7. See this blog post:

http://contraptionsforprogramming.blogspot.com/2010/03/ajdt-pde-builds-redux.html

Note that you can use any version of Eclipse to build your RCP app, and you can still have a target platform of Eclipse 3.5.

Now, it is theoretically possible to use the ajdt-pde plugin that is available on the AJDT 3.5 update site, but this was horrible to use and did not work particularly well. See this bug report for how this might be possible.
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=252641

Again, I recommend against trying this because it was so difficult to do and I highly suggest doing whatever you need to do to move to E36 or E37.
Re: headless AJDT: one aspect, many projects [message #778534 is a reply to message #778524] Fri, 13 January 2012 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Missing name Missing name is currently offline Missing name Missing nameFriend
Andrew,

boy, am i glad that you replied. i have been reading some of your posts here and there, and i was really hoping that you would be the one to guide me. unfortunately, the release of my app is locked into eclipse 3.5. that is just how things work around here. i am fully aware how much better ajdt headless has become in eclipse 3.6, as a month ago i stumbled upon the very page that the first link in your post points to. and i cannot wait to switch to a more recent eclipse version in subsequent releases of my app.

the thing is that it is not a complete and total loss on my part. the build works, as the only aspect-bearing project gets woven just fine. the problem is that all other projects that import that aspect-bearing project do not get woven. so i am not sure if the second link that you provided in your post would be of any help for me. it seems to be covering the very issue of ajdt-pde building fundamentals, while my issue has to do with weaving multiple projects with a single "centralized" aspect. please let me know whether or not i am correct.

lastly, i guess i can place the same aspect aj file into each and every project, but that is a last resort approach.

thank you!!!

[Updated on: Fri, 13 January 2012 08:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: headless AJDT: one aspect, many projects [message #778679 is a reply to message #778534] Fri, 13 January 2012 16:24 Go to previous message
Andrew Eisenberg is currently offline Andrew EisenbergFriend
As I said, if the requirement is that your app is built on top of E35, there is no reason why you can't use E37 to build it.

http://eclipse.dzone.com/articles/creating-eclipse-rcp-target

Your target platform is independent of the build platform.

Also, you are looking for a way to specify the aspect path of your plugins. I *think* this is possible by putting the "aspectpath" property into your build.properties file. The value of the property should be the name of the project that has the aspect. Note that this is highly untested and I really don't know if this will work, but it might.
Previous Topic:RCP templates are not available in selection list
Next Topic:AJ Builder for existing class files? (to weave non-Java sources)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:14:19 GMT 2024