Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Port RCP Application to Juno - startup error
Port RCP Application to Juno - startup error [message #778215] Wed, 11 January 2012 18:10 Go to next message
Al Willms is currently offline Al WillmsFriend
Hello,
I am trying to port my RCP app from Indigo to Juno and get the following error on startup. I have recreated the .product and checked the dependencies and everything seems to be fine. There are no other stack traces available.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2012-01-11 13:04:43.804
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ModelServiceImpl.<init>(ModelServiceImpl.java:92)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application.createDefaultContext(E4Application.java:472)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application.createE4Workbench(E4Application.java:181)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$3.run(Workbench.java:534)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:520)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at moviemanager.Application.start(Application.java:37)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:352)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:624)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:579)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1433)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1409)
Re: Port RCP Application to Juno - startup error [message #780583 is a reply to message #778215] Wed, 18 January 2012 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Missing name Missing name is currently offline Missing name Missing nameFriend
Has anyone a Solution for this ?

I have created a e4 Application with the "e4 application project wizard" and I have the same problem.

best regards
P.
Re: Port RCP Application to Juno - startup error [message #780868 is a reply to message #780583] Thu, 19 January 2012 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Could you please check whether the bundle org.eclipse.equinox.events is included?
Re: Port RCP Application to Juno - startup error [message #780976 is a reply to message #778215] Wed, 18 January 2012 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Missing name Missing name is currently offline Missing name Missing nameFriend
Has anyone a Solution for this ?

I have created a e4 Application with the "e4 application project wizard" and I have the same problem.

best regards
P.
Re: Port RCP Application to Juno - startup error [message #785192 is a reply to message #780976] Sat, 28 January 2012 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Eger is currently offline Thomas EgerFriend
I get the same error. Could you please post a solution for this problem if you fixed it?

Thanks,
Thomas
Re: Port RCP Application to Juno - startup error [message #786732 is a reply to message #785192] Mon, 30 January 2012 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

You need to at least add org.eclipse.equinox.ds and org.eclipse.equinox.event to your launch config, as they might not be picked up by direct analysis of plugin dependencies.

PW

Re: Port RCP Application to Juno - startup error [message #893142 is a reply to message #786732] Mon, 02 July 2012 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mario Marinato is currently offline Mario MarinatoFriend
Thanks for the info, Paul. I was facing the same problem. Do you have links on this topic to share?
Thomas and Al, are you still working the port? I'm working on it too and I'd like to share knowledge about it.

Mário Marinato
From Brazil
Re: Port RCP Application to Juno - startup error [message #893160 is a reply to message #778215] Mon, 02 July 2012 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Eutsler is currently offline Charles EutslerFriend
I, too, am trying to find step-by-step instructions for converting an Eclipse 3 RCP application to one that runs under Eclipse 4.

I have seen messages, including this thread, that say that certain plug-ins need to be included explicitly since they aren't discovered by automatic dependency evaluation. I have added the plug-ins that are specified and have added the plug-ins that these additional ones depend on.

When I launched the RCP, I got the error: "Unable to acquire application service. Ensure that the org.eclipse.core.runtime bundle is resolved and started (see config.ini)". I found the message (I'm sorry but I haven't earned the privilege to link to it: www.volker-wegert.de/en/node/65#comment-197) that says a solution is to set the start-level of the org.eclipse.core.runtime plug-in to 2.

After I made the start-level change and run my RCP I get the same exception that is shown in the start of this thread. (I don't know if the start-level change is the best way to solve that issue or whether it is a side-effect of something that is missing.)

I am hoping that someone can point me to a set of instructions that lead a person through the process of upgrading and RCP from Eclipse 3 to Eclipse 4.
Re: Port RCP Application to Juno - startup error [message #893364 is a reply to message #893160] Tue, 03 July 2012 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian de Alwis is currently offline Brian de AlwisFriend
See:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse4/RCP/FAQ#Problems_on_Confuguration.2C_Start-Up.2C_and_Shutdown
Re: Port RCP Application to Juno - startup error [message #898740 is a reply to message #778215] Fri, 27 July 2012 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maarten meijer is currently offline maarten meijerFriend
For me the problem went away when I reversed to Generate a config.ini instead of using my own.
For me the generated file looked like this:
#Configuration File
#Fri Jul 27 14:03:08 CEST 2012
org.eclipse.update.reconcile=false
osgi.install.area=file\:/Users/maarten/Workspaces/workspace-eulumdattools/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.bundle_pool
osgi.framework=file\:/Users/maarten/Workspaces/workspace-eulumdattools/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.bundle_pool/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.8.0.v20120529-1548.jar
osgi.bundles=reference\:file\:/Users/maarten/Workspaces/workspace-eulumdattools/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.bundle_pool/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator_1.0.300.v20110815-1744.jar@1\:start
org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator.configUrl=file\:/Users/maarten/Workspaces/workspace-eulumdattools/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/eulumdattools.product 4.2/org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator/bundles.info
osgi.configuration.cascaded=false
osgi.splashPath=file\:/Users/maarten/Workspaces/workspace-eulumdattools/com.fold1.eulumdat.tools.build
eclipse.p2.data.area=@config.dir/.p2
osgi.bundles.defaultStartLevel=4

While my own file looked like this:
#Product Runtime Configuration File

osgi.splashPath=platform:/base/plugins/com.fold1.eulumdat.tools.branding
eclipse.product=org.eclipse.platform.ide
org.eclipse.ui/defaultPerspectiveId=com.fold1.eulumdat.tools.perspective
osgi.bundles.defaultStartLevel=4
osgi.bundles=org.eclipse.equinox.common@2:start,org.eclipse.update.configurator@3:start,org.eclipse.core.runtime@start
osgi.instance.area.default=@user.home/Documents/EulumdatTools

Need some smart guy to figure out the differences!
Re: Port RCP Application to Juno - startup error [message #898950 is a reply to message #898740] Sun, 29 July 2012 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Try adding to your own ini equinox.ds and equinox.event bundles.
Re: Port RCP Application to Juno - startup error [message #1737822 is a reply to message #778215] Wed, 13 July 2016 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rodolfo AP is currently offline Rodolfo APFriend
(not Juno but Luna) We had the same problem on a somehow complex setup, so this is how we've fixed:
- Be sure that your target platform, jars, projects, dependencies are correct, , updated, rebuilt. This NullPointerException problem started for us AFTER fixing dependencies, so despite it seems not logic, may had an impact.
- Be sure to include the **equinox.ds **equinox.event on the product file
(dependencies tab).
- Be sure to include the required dependencies on the same tab.
- Be sure to "Synchronize" the product file, using the Synchronize link on the Overview tab of the product file
- Check that all dependencies are included and **equinox.ds **equinox.event are also selected on the application launcher (plugins tab).

Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 13 July 2016 09:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Port RCP Application to Juno - startup error [message #1784123 is a reply to message #778215] Thu, 22 March 2018 16:28 Go to previous message
Filip Happy is currently offline Filip HappyFriend
Hi, what helped me with the same error (got it after removing and then adding back some plugins) - go to:
Run configurations > Configuration > Configuration area
Then enable option "Clear the configuration area before launching"

Hope this helps someone :)
Previous Topic:Contribute to EMF Genmodel Menu
Next Topic:Hide perspective bar in eclipse rcp programmatically
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:31:43 GMT 2024