Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Creating new file association for make(Extending Gnu make in Eclipse)
icon5.gif  Creating new file association for make [message #777529] Tue, 10 January 2012 16:32 Go to next message
K. Scott Piel is currently offline K. Scott PielFriend
I've spent a few hours searching for an answer to this and am, apparently, an uber failure. Either my search terms suck or I'm just being myopic. I dunno. I suspect (hope) this is something very simple that I'm just not seeing and maybe someone can get me pointed in the right direction?

In a nutshell, we have a custom application we use that takes a formatted plain text input file (with a '.enum' file extension) and generates a formatted C++ header file from it (with a '.h' file extension). Simple enough.

What I want to do is to create a file association in my generated make files so that when we build our project, the Gnu make will use the input file to re-generate the output header file for us any time the input file changes.

Put another way, I can't figure out how to have the Gnu Auto Make add the rule we need to the makefiles it generates for us out of Eclipse...

%.enum: %.h
    genEnum i=$<

Any assist that could be offered would be most appreciated. I have no doubt I'm just being stupid and overlooking the obvious. I apologize for my ignorance on this.
Re: Creating new file association for make [message #780359 is a reply to message #777529] Tue, 17 January 2012 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K. Scott Piel is currently offline K. Scott PielFriend
Shameless bump...

Over 700 reads with no reply makes me feel less dumb for having asked the question, but I'm still curious as to whether or not there may be an answer floating about out there or at least a place to go investigate for a solution?

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?
Re: Creating new file association for make [message #780476 is a reply to message #780359] Wed, 18 January 2012 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HagenFriend
On 1/17/2012 5:57 PM, K. Scott Piel wrote:
> Anyone?

http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

> If you can't get an answer, please don't take it personally that we
> don't feel we can help you. Sometimes the members of the asked group
> may simply not know the answer. No response is not the same as being
> ignored, though admittedly it's hard to spot the difference from
> outside.
Re: Creating new file association for make [message #897408 is a reply to message #780359] Tue, 24 July 2012 03:30 Go to previous message
Charles Tubbs is currently offline Charles TubbsFriend
Go to Window > Preferences > C/C++ > File Types you will see a list of file types that you can add to.
Previous Topic:comment block code style
Next Topic:CDT 8.1 Indexer not resolving libc symbols?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:39:11 GMT 2024