Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Orion (Archived) » project validation in Orion
project validation in Orion [message #776187] Sat, 07 January 2012 19:29 Go to next message
Rafael Chaves is currently offline Rafael ChavesFriend
Are there any plans of supporting project or workspace-wide validation in Orion, say, like project builders in Eclipse?

I would like to be able to report that a change to the current file has caused an error to a downstream file that depends on it. Or be able to report build errors even if no files are opened in an editor.

Currently, there seems to be only support for single-unit validation: only the contents of the file being currently edited are available to a validation plugin, and error markers don't allow describing in what file the error occurred.

This missing feature is a showstopper (the only one I know of at this time) for me adopting Orion as a platform for editing AlphaSimple projects.

Thanks,

Rafael
http://abstratt.com/blog
Re: project validation in Orion [message #776685 is a reply to message #776187] Mon, 09 January 2012 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Arthorne is currently offline John ArthorneFriend
Hey Rafael,

Are you interested in client-side validation or server? We have talked about doing server side validation but want to avoid putting that functionality into a single monolithic server alongside the file content. We don't think that kind of approach will scale in the long run where there could be a very large user base, all using various different validators/builders. We have talked about this kind of thing being done by a separate "build server" that would run independently and store its results in the "workspace server" for communication back to the client.

Client side validation is another possibility that doesn't have the same scaling problems. Of course it has other problems like what happens if the user closes the browser tab or transitions to a new page while it is running.

Anyway, this general problem is something we've talked about a fair bit but haven't had a chance to build something in this area yet. We have been living with single-file validation while self-hosting so we understand the pain point here!

John
Re: project validation in Orion [message #776851 is a reply to message #776685] Mon, 09 January 2012 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rafael Chaves is currently offline Rafael ChavesFriend
Hi John,

I'd be happy to use a client-side extension mechanism. I am fine with the results of the validation being transient, and validation being a read-only process, no need to remember the results anywhere (at least in Orion) - so your concern with what happens if the user leaves the page would be a non-issue IMO (other than just some wasted computing).

In my scenario, I'd envision a client-side plugin that delegates the validation to an external service (somewhere on the web) performing the project validation, but for doing such, the validation service would require access to a snapshot of the project contents. Whether the contents would be pushed into the validation server or fetched individually is unclear to me (the latter seems better, but then that external server would need authorization to access the project contents).

Does that answer your question? Would something like this fit the roadmap for 1.0?

Cheers,

Rafael
Re: project validation in Orion [message #776987 is a reply to message #776851] Mon, 09 January 2012 16:08 Go to previous message
John Arthorne is currently offline John ArthorneFriend
Ok, that's a very clear requirement, and similar to cases we had been considering such as JSLint checking across an entire workspace, HTML link validation, etc. I have entered a bug to track this:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=368176

I can't comment on the 1.0 plan right now... I believe an Orion plugin could be created to do all this today, but it would need to build its own page for displaying results, etc. We could certainly add some infrastructure pieces here to the platform to make it easier for people to write such validators. This is definitely something we want to look at, but we'll have to look at all our other requirements and see where/when it fits. If we do start on this in the near future, it would be great to have you pushing on it from the consumer side and giving feedback.

We are also very much interested in the authentication side of this problem and have been looking at OAuth2 for enabling this kind of scenario (allowing a different service access to a user's workspace). Currently the default setting in Orion is for all content to be world readable, so today you could do purely read-only validation without any kind of authentication (on orionhub for example).

John
Previous Topic:Integrating Orion in my webSite
Next Topic:Problem Loading Workspaces
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:58:39 GMT 2024