Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Launcher error with product executable, but not with launcher.jar
icon5.gif  Launcher error with product executable, but not with launcher.jar [message #775675] Fri, 06 January 2012 14:05 Go to next message
Stephan Druskat is currently offline Stephan DruskatFriend

I'm building an Eclipse RCP application against Eclipse 3.7.1 and Java 1.6. I'm also using Tycho to build, and have set up my RCP according to the Tycho tutorial from the EclipseCon 2011 (cf. eclipsecon.org/sessions/building-eclipse-plugins-and-rcp-applications-tycho, I cannot use links yet).

The application builds fine up until I get to Step 5 (adding a p2 repo, then adding a .product file. It still builds fine, and everything is where it should be, but I cannot start the RCP by clicking on the .exe file from the repository in the workspace.

All I get is the "The [RCP] executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library" error popup.

First of all I thought I might have set up the CLASS PATH incorrectly, but when I open a console and type
javaw 
or
java -version
anywhere, it all works.

Also, when I go to the plugins folder in the p2 repository for the RCP in the workspace, and double-click on org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar, the RCP starts, albeit without the splash screen.

This must surely mean my Java set up is correct, and it's not a class path problem?

I'm not sure where this problem might lie (I have a plugin, a feature, a product, a repository, and a parent package with the main pom), so if you let me know your suspicions where the error might come from, I'll be more than happy to post respective XML, build.properties, screenshots and what have you. Unless this is a common error with a common solution.

Many thanks in advance!

Btw, working on Windows 7 (64-bit), JDK and JRE both 64-bit as well, Eclipse EE 3.7.1 (I chose that because it contains the most plugins I'll need later by default).

I'm also attaching my CLASS PATH Settings for reference.

User variables
CLASS PATH: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_30;.;

System variables
JAVA_HOME: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_30
Path: %JAVA_HOME%\bin;

Many thanks indeed for any help!

Re: Launcher error with product executable, but not with launcher.jar [message #775709 is a reply to message #775675] Fri, 06 January 2012 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Druskat is currently offline Stephan DruskatFriend

Interestingly enough, when I let Tycho build a zip file, and I copy that zip file to another location outside of the repo, unzip it and run the .exe, the application starts without a problem.

I guess this partially solves my original query, but I'd still be interested to hear why I cannot start the application via the executable from within the repo.
Re: Launcher error with product executable, but not with launcher.jar [message #776999 is a reply to message #775709] Mon, 09 January 2012 16:24 Go to previous message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

PDE build takes the native libs from the repo and re-packages them as part of building a deployable project. My guess is there's some information that's not laid out correctly for the executable consumption but is in the <repo>/binary directory (or .blob_store, depending on what p2 decided to do)

PW

Previous Topic:Adding Action to EditorPart
Next Topic:Problem with Views using jNetPcap library
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:51:30 GMT 2024