Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » Eclipse Hangs when I try to modify JTable model
Eclipse Hangs when I try to modify JTable model [message #774943] Thu, 05 January 2012 00:44 Go to next message
Eric Chacon is currently offline Eric ChaconFriend
Eclipse / WindowBuilder Folks,

Help! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. If this is the wrong forum for tech help, please let me know where to ask this.

I am running Indigo Version: Indigo Service Release 1 Build id: 20110916-0149 and WindowBuilder 1.2.0r37x201109270310 on Mac OS X Version 10.6.8

I've run updates and no further updates are available.

I am a able to create applications which run no problem.

However, when I create a JTable, and then click on the model ... in the Properties area, Eclipse hangs and must be killed.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,
Eric
Re: Eclipse Hangs when I try to modify JTable model [message #774944 is a reply to message #774943] Thu, 05 January 2012 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Scheglov is currently offline Konstantin ScheglovFriend
Well, SWT/Swing interoperation is not easy, especially on OS X.
Because of tricks with SWT and AWT event threads this may cause dead lock.
This was tested mostly on Win32.
Try to avoid this feature on OS X.

Konstantin Scheglov,
Google, Inc.
Re: Eclipse Hangs when I try to modify JTable model [message #774948 is a reply to message #774944] Thu, 05 January 2012 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the quick reply!

But I'm not sure I understand it -- it doesn't lock when I run the application: it locks, literally, when I click the ... control in the WindowBuilder Properties box.

Are you saying that the WindowBuilder plug-in doesn't work well for Swing in OS X?

Edited to add: Are you saying I'm interoperating SWT and Swing? I'm just using a JFrame (the app window), and a JTable. No SWT or AWT involved, as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
-E.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 January 2012 01:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Hangs when I try to modify JTable model [message #774979 is a reply to message #774948] Thu, 05 January 2012 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
Swing sits on top of AWT and you are developing inside of Eclipse which uses SWT. Doing design time WYSIWYG rendering of Swing code within Eclipse ends up requiring a great deal of SWT/AWT interop which can be a bit fragile under OSX. For the most part, it works fine, but it looks like you ran across one of the few cases where AWT locks up.

I don't know if there us a work around for that or not, but the source is available for anyone who wants to try and create a patch. In the mean time, do all of you layout in the design view and edit the table model in the source view. You can also submit a bug report to Bugzilla (Tools > WindowBuilder), and we can look into at some point. Make sure to include a test case and any relevant stack traces or crash logs.
Re: Eclipse Hangs when I try to modify JTable model [message #775153 is a reply to message #774979] Thu, 05 January 2012 13:10 Go to previous message
Thanks -- that's clear.

I may get around to looking at the source but it's well outside of my current objectives. I'll do my table model editing manually.

Cheers,
Eric
Previous Topic:Unable to get Window Builder to Work after Install
Next Topic:How to avoid default container for JFRAME and for all others also
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:04:13 GMT 2024