Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Automatic import of well-known functions
Automatic import of well-known functions [message #774636] Wed, 04 January 2012 10:22 Go to next message
Thomas Ponweiser is currently offline Thomas PonweiserFriend
Hy everybody!

I'm currently developing a simple DSL quite similar to the "XText Simple Arithmetic Example" which should support C-like numeric and boolean expressions with references to variables and functions.

Additionally to those variables and functions defined locally in the file, I would like to provide also well known functions ("sin", "cos",...) and (constant) variables ("pi", "e",...).

For that purpose, I don't want to use any "import" keyword or something like that - instead those names should be imported implicitely.

Moreover those names should be determined on runtime. The approach to define some functions and variables statically in a resource file is not enough for me, even though I'd also like to know how this could be done (automatically importing a file without explicitely mentioning it in an "import" statement).

My first approach was to costumize my ScopeProvider:
public class AODslScopeProvider extends AbstractDeclarativeScopeProvider {

private List<String> functions = Arrays.asList("sin", "cos");
	private List<String> variables = Arrays.asList("pi", "e");
	private List<IEObjectDescription> knownObjects = new LinkedList<IEObjectDescription>();

public AODslScopeProvider() {
		AodslFactory f = AodslFactory.eINSTANCE;
		for(String funcName : functions) {
			Function func = f.createFunction();
			func.setName(funcName);
			knownObjects.add(EObjectDescription.create(funcName, func));
		}

for(String varName : variables) {
			Variable var = f.createVariable();
			var.setName(varName);
			knownObjects.add(EObjectDescription.create(varName, var));
		}
	}

@Override
	public IScope getScope(EObject context, EReference reference) {
                // I guess this is not the way how SimpleScopes are meant to be used...
		return new SimpleScope(super.getScope(context, reference), knownObjects);
	}	
}

This workes so far - the functions and variables are available in the editors content assistent, but actually referring to them leads to the following error:
The feature 'name' of 'ao.explorer.dsl.aodsl.impl.FuncCallImpl@1b09ef0{platform:/resource/test/src/test.aodsl#//@statements.2}' contains a dangling reference 'ao.explorer.dsl.aodsl.impl.FunctionImpl@1e7501{#//}'

Should I rather use a GlobalScopeProvider for that purpose? How do I do that? (I didn't find something like that in the example projects.) Or am I completely on the wrong track?

I'd be grateful for any advise!

kind regards,
Thomas
Re: Automatic import of well-known functions [message #774642 is a reply to message #774636] Wed, 04 January 2012 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meinte Boersma is currently offline Meinte BoersmaFriend
Your on-the-fly-created Function-s are not contained in any Resource(Set) which causes the dangling references error. Have a look at the following: http://blogs.itemis.de/stundzig/archives/795

Re: Automatic import of well-known functions [message #774661 is a reply to message #774642] Wed, 04 January 2012 11:04 Go to previous message
Thomas Ponweiser is currently offline Thomas PonweiserFriend
Thank you! This looks very helpful and answers the second part of my question. Default imports seem to be the best solution for built-in functions and constants.

Anyway, I'm facing the problem that some of the variables I want to refer to are defined dynamically by other modules of the application. Can you give me a reference on how to properly create EObjects on-the-fly and link them to my model?

Or would it better to handle such variables references as literals in the grammar and add some custom content-assist and validation code instead?
Previous Topic:Automatic validation is not performed
Next Topic:syntax sugar for creating EMF objects in Xbase
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:44:08 GMT 2024