Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Memory Analyzer » Import Index Files?
Import Index Files? [message #772696] Fri, 30 December 2011 11:28 Go to next message
Samuel Salmon is currently offline Samuel SalmonFriend
I have had a heap dump parsed using MAT on a remote AIX box that I no longer have access to due to the dump file being fairly large (~3GB) and not being able to parse it on any of our local machines.

I have a copy of the original dump and the index files from the AIX box after it had been parsed.

Is there any way I can import the index files into a 32 bit windows version of MAT on my laptop with limited memory (2GB) so that I can review the reports, etc?
Re: Import Index Files? [message #774160 is a reply to message #772696] Tue, 03 January 2012 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonathan Lawrence is currently offline Jonathan LawrenceFriend
In theory it is possible to load a dump and index files produced on another platform (including those from a 64 bit JVM into a 32-bit Memory Analyzer), however there is no guarantee that the memory will be sufficient.

To do this, copy the dump and all the generated index files from the original analysis into a single directory on your workstation, keeping the original file names for the dump and index files.

Then start Memory Analyzer and attempt to load the dump on your workstation. Memory Analyzer should recognise the presence of the previously produced index files and attempt to load these rather than reparse the dump.

This should work provided you have adequate memory for the task, however this is not guaranteed. Failing this you could raise a requirement against MAT on the Eclipse Bugzilla: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?product=MAT
to reduce memory requirements for reloading a parsed heap dump.
Re: Import Index Files? [message #776830 is a reply to message #774160] Mon, 09 January 2012 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Johnson is currently offline Andrew JohnsonFriend
Also, the index files must be newer than the dump or else MAT will reindex the dump.
Re: Import Index Files? [message #776832 is a reply to message #776830] Mon, 09 January 2012 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Samuel Salmon is currently offline Samuel SalmonFriend
thanks for the info, the dump file opened up pre-parsed on my laptop fine using the instructions given.
Re: Import Index Files? [message #776907 is a reply to message #776830] Mon, 09 January 2012 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Johnson is currently offline Andrew JohnsonFriend
At the moment if the index file and heap dump have an identical last modified date and time then the dump will still be reparsed.

I think it would be better if the dates were the same the dump should be reopened, as it is more likely that the dump and indexes have been restored or transferred with the current date rather than the dump has been regenerated just at the moment the index is created. Any comments?
Re: Import Index Files? [message #795992 is a reply to message #776907] Sat, 11 February 2012 07:35 Go to previous message
Krum Tsvetkov is currently offline Krum TsvetkovFriend
I agree, when last modified date and time are the same, the dump shouldn't be re-parsed
Previous Topic:CompressedOop
Next Topic:Identify list of jar files loaded by a classloader
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:33:33 GMT 2024