Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Git version in EGit ?
Git version in EGit ? [message #771850] Wed, 28 December 2011 10:47 Go to next message
Harry Houdini is currently offline Harry HoudiniFriend
Hello,

It seems that the EGit team has reimplemented Git in Java.

On what Git version EGit is based on ?

I'd like to be able to also use Git in command line, and so work with the same version.

Thanks.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 December 2011 13:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Git version in EGit ? [message #771899 is a reply to message #771850] Wed, 28 December 2011 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
There is no correlation between Git and JGit (the Java implementation of Git). JGit is a complete new implementation of Git. So there is no "same" version.
EGit just uses JGit and is not based on Git.
Re: Git version in EGit ? [message #771919 is a reply to message #771899] Wed, 28 December 2011 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
The implicit question seems to be: is it safe to work in a Git repository both with egit/jgit and also with command-line Git. If that's the question the answer is, yes, it's completely safe, or at least has been for me. I use both every day. You can also safely use third-party gui tools GitX, Tower, TortoiseGit and the like, as well as plugins for other IDEs (IDEA, XCode). They all play well together.

Some operations and can only be done in command-line Git and some configuration options are only respected there. Widely used examples include stash, bundle, bisect, lightweight tagging, some merge strategies and config options, and svn bridging. In that sense there's a fair chance you'll have to use command-line Git at some point. You might find it convenient to do some of these with Eclipse external launchers that reference variables defined by egit. This provides some integration. You can handle the most common uses of stash and svn bridging this way, for example. Not exactly elegant, but acceptable as a workaround. As I understand it, egit looks for command-line Git on the PATH and makes some use of it if it's found. I don't know the details though. Might be nice if it defined a variable when found, this would be very useful for external launchers.

These operations aside, go ahead and use whichever tool you prefer.
Re: Git version in EGit ? [message #771957 is a reply to message #771919] Wed, 28 December 2011 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, I experienced versions troubles.

My system has been updated to CentOS 6.0. The installed Git was 1.7.1. After cloning a repository with EGit, I was unable to use the command-line Git. I had authentification problems (HTTP error 401).
I had to make the administrator install Git 1.7.6.4. Now it does work.
Re: Git version in EGit ? [message #772310 is a reply to message #771957] Thu, 29 December 2011 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to know, I didn't realize jgit could cause this kind of problem with command-line Git. I'm maintaining my own egit how-to (in a github repo of course...) and I will include this versioning information.

Has anyone else replicated this?
Re: Git version in EGit ? [message #772686 is a reply to message #772310] Fri, 30 December 2011 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't call this "jgit could cause this kind of problem". A new version of Git obviously solved the problem, so either Git 1.7.1 had a bug or that kind of authentication he used wasn't supported by Git 1.7.1
Re: Git version in EGit ? [message #772878 is a reply to message #772686] Fri, 30 December 2011 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The important point to take away from this is that the lack of version synchronization between jgit and standard Git is a problem, and not just in theory. I hadn't run into this myself, but now it's clear that incompatibility is a real issue. I'll certainly be warning every egit/jgit user I know.

In the future I think jgit/egit versions should document the min and max versions of Git they're known to be compatible with.

Re: Git version in EGit ? [message #774105 is a reply to message #772878] Tue, 03 January 2012 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think also it is the thing to do.

Git should also maintain on their site the history of older versions. It would have helped me/us to diagnostic the problem.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 January 2012 09:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Git version in EGit ? [message #774237 is a reply to message #774105] Tue, 03 January 2012 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should create a bug report, if you want that (http://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs)
Re: Git version in EGit ? [message #782146 is a reply to message #774105] Mon, 23 January 2012 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Are you looking for this page ?
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/FAQ#Where_can_I_find_older_releases_of_EGit.3F
Re: Git version in EGit ? [message #782501 is a reply to message #782146] Mon, 23 January 2012 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Not at all. The point is not to get an earlier version, it's that users need some way to know whether any given JGit version is or is not compatible with any given Git version.

Git is the reference implementation. All other implementations are in my opinion obliged to provide to basic compatibility info. The bare minimum might be something like "JGit version X is not compatible with Git versions older than Y".
Re: Git version in EGit ? [message #782997 is a reply to message #782501] Tue, 24 January 2012 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
R Shapiro skrev 2012-01-23 21.44:
> Quote:
>> Are you looking for this page ?
>> http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/FAQ#Where_can_I_find_older_releases_of_EGit.3F
>
>
> Not at all. The point is not to get an earlier version, it's that users need some way to know whether any given JGit version is or is not compatible with any given Git
> version.
>
> Git is the reference implementation. All other implementations are in my opinion obliged to provide to basic compatibility info. The bare minimum might be something like
> "JGit version X is not compatible with Git versions older than Y".
>

The problem with that is that much is feature rather than version compatibility, but
I think it's safe to say that nobody will care about being compatible with anything
older than C Git 1.5, though we have not agreed on that. It's certainly possible to
construct a matrix that describes compatibility at a fairly fine-grained level. Sponsors?

-- robin
Re: Git version in EGit ? [message #783225 is a reply to message #782501] Wed, 25 January 2012 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
R Shapiro wrote on Mon, 23 January 2012 15:44
Quote:

Not at all. The point is not to get an earlier version, it's that users need some way to know whether any given JGit version is or is not compatible with any given Git version.

Git is the reference implementation. All other implementations are in my opinion obliged to provide to basic compatibility info. The bare minimum might be something like "JGit version X is not compatible with Git versions older than Y".

"Oodini Mising name" asked for a site listing old versions that's why I sent this link ...
Re: Git version in EGit ? [message #1062805 is a reply to message #771850] Mon, 10 June 2013 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darrell Jordan is currently offline Darrell JordanFriend
So no one has answered the original question, which is "what version of GIT is EGIT based on?". Yes we know that EGit is a java based version of GIT and the code bases for GIT and EGIT are very different. However, the basic question was asked because there may be some differences between the functions that EGit and Git exposed. So far, the documentation at "http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/FAQ#How_compatible_is_EGit_with_Git.3F" does not detail this info. As noted in an earlier post, there are some differences between the command line and EGit that has been causing issues. I, for one, need to know what EGit version corresponds to what GIT version.

You can not tell me that EGit is always up to date with GIT either.

regards,
Re: Git version in EGit ? [message #1063048 is a reply to message #1062805] Tue, 11 June 2013 21:51 Go to previous message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
Darrell Jordan skrev 2013-06-10 23.20:
> So no one has answered the original question, which is "what version of GIT is EGIT based on?". Yes we know that EGit is a java based version of GIT and the code bases for
> GIT and EGIT are very different. However, the basic question was asked because there may be some differences between the functions that EGit and Git exposed. So far, the
> documentation at "http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/FAQ#How_compatible_is_EGit_with_Git.3F" does not detail this info. As noted in an earlier post, there are some differences
> between the command line and EGit that has been causing issues. I, for one, need to know what EGit version corresponds to what GIT version.

There is no such correspondence, so you cannot have that information. JGit (which implements the Git part, EGit is a user interface) is not a translation of Git. It's a
separate implementation of some of the features of Git. Most of the core features are there, but not all. As for the Wiki, anyone may update it with more information that
they know of.

> You can not tell me that EGit is always up to date with GIT either.

It is not. Features are implemented on as needed. What is "needed" is determined by the contributors.

-- robin
Previous Topic:Should JGit have its own forum?
Next Topic:Does EGit now usable?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 05:18:00 GMT 2024