Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » Window Builder has changed
Window Builder has changed [message #770341] Sat, 24 December 2011 00:32 Go to next message
nelle lee is currently offline nelle leeFriend
hi all,

Im probably the newest noob on the block just starting out with eclipse Gallilao3.5 Java and Android so excuse the, probably, simplistic issue here.

I started to build a practice GUI with the WebBuilder plug-in & really like it; that was 4-5 months ago - However since then i installed the Google Web Toolkit plugin and then returning to my WebBuilder Application i notice webBuilder has now become The
GWT Designer 1.2.0.rxxxxx??

Most noticeable is a jumpy, very slow sluggish interface when building (as if online with a slow connection). Can i get back to WebBuilder - i just want to build a desktop app in WebBuilder/Java saved as a .jar file - no web interactivity is required.

I already use google tools for online stuff hence installing GWT - but i dont want it to replace WindowBuilder which i was really enjoying learning.

any suggestions please.

Many thanks.

p.s. i use Windows Vista Home 32bit - i did read about the "flickering" issue in Linux but don't really understand if its the same issue.
Re: Window Builder has changed [message #770365 is a reply to message #770341] Sat, 24 December 2011 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
I assume by "WebBuilder" you mean WindowBuilder. WindowBuilder is composed of SWT Designer, Swing Designer and GWT Designer, so GWTD and WB are basically the same thing. I am not aware of any "slow sluggish interface" (and no online connection or web interactivity is required), so perhaps you should provide a test case and your Eclipse config details. Aside from a handful of bug fixes, v1.2 is almost identical to v1.0 and v1.1 from several months ago.

Google Web Toolkit and its associate Eclipse plugin is quite large, so make sure that you have assigned enough memory to run Eclipse. What you perceive as sluggish may simply be Eclipse swapping due to insufficient memory.
Re: Window Builder has changed [message #771579 is a reply to message #770365] Tue, 27 December 2011 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi,
Thanks for the reply - I'm not sure what a test-case is (did explain im not experienced with eclipse sorry) The explanation of a test-case in the docs doesn't clear things up much either can you elaborate on what i need to do to make a test-case please. Ive attached my config file.

many thanks,
Re: Window Builder has changed [message #771594 is a reply to message #771579] Tue, 27 December 2011 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A test case would be a single, complete class that when edited illustrates the problem.

I can see the likely problem form your config though...you have a huge number of heavy weight plugins loaded and you are only running Eclipse with a max of 512MB of RAM. You will hit that limit very quickly and start swapping which will make a lot fo Eclipse (including WindowBuilder) feel sluggish. Given the number of plugins you are using, I would at least quadruple your Xms to 512MB and double your Xmx to 1024MB.
Re: Window Builder has changed [message #771674 is a reply to message #771594] Tue, 27 December 2011 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok,

Made those changes - still no change, I now uninstalled GWT and WindowsBuilder has returned (displayed in botton right hand of the design view) but problem persists.

Even tried: Xmx and Xms 1024m for maximum allocation, but no change.

The "How can I prevent the preview window from flashing under Linux using Metacity" here:
theprotocol:// help.eclipse.org/indigo/ index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.wb.doc.user%2Fhtml%2Findex.html

... seems to be exactly the same think thats happening on my Win32 vista machine.

even the smallest change such as altering the text on a label by one character takes 5-6 seconds to finish.
Re: Window Builder has changed [message #771722 is a reply to message #771674] Wed, 28 December 2011 01:42 Go to previous message
I would suggest installing WindowBuilder into a new, clean copy of Eclipse (use the Classic Eclipse distro) and trying it again there.

Again, a test case would be helpful.
Previous Topic:Swing DataBinding Rollback changes when cancel button is pressed
Next Topic:Missing "Struts and Springs" palette
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:47:43 GMT 2024