Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Changed View ID, now it never displays
Changed View ID, now it never displays [message #768317] Mon, 19 December 2011 22:43 Go to next message
Missing name Mising name is currently offline Missing name Mising nameFriend
Yeah, I'm a total newbie at this.
I'm playing with the examples, trying to figure out where things are set.

I'm using the mail program example, as that has the most "stuff" to play with.
I changed the ID of a view from "test.navigatorView" to "test.folderView". I also changed the "id" field in the extension element for that view.

Now it just doesn't display. No errors, no nothing. The other view (that I also renamed earlier) displays just fine.

So, it means that I missed something - but I haven't been able to find any other references to the old View ID.
I used copy/paste to make sure the ID is the same in both places.

Any suggestions on where I should look?

Is there some place where runtime errors (like not finding the view class) are logged?
Re: Changed View ID, now it never displays [message #768342 is a reply to message #768317] Tue, 20 December 2011 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Figured it out!
I had enabled configurer.setSaveAndRestore(true) shortly before this.
If I set it back to false, the view appears.
Change it back to true, the view disappears again.

Okay, so it seems that if it's restore the workbench, and you have a view that wasn't there before, it gives it 0 size? (or makes it invisible, something...)

So, how do I fix this, or prevent this, during developemnt?
Re: Changed View ID, now it never displays [message #769253 is a reply to message #768342] Wed, 21 December 2011 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

When adding or removing views from an open perspective, you either have to show the new view manually or reset the perspective.

PW

Re: Changed View ID, now it never displays [message #769263 is a reply to message #769253] Wed, 21 December 2011 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think you followed what I said.
I shutdown the app with setSaveAndRestore(True).
I then modified the code to use a different view name.
When I restarted the app, the new view doesn't get displayed.
Shudown the app, modify code so setSaveAndRestore(false).
Now when I restart the app the new view is displayed.

This situation is unlikely to occur during normal operation, but is likely to occur during development.
So, how do I "clear" the problem? Can I just delete the save/restore data? (if so, where is it?)
Re: Changed View ID, now it never displays [message #769674 is a reply to message #769263] Thu, 22 December 2011 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

There's 2 parts. You changed the plugin.xml information. You can try restarting with -clean to make it pick up the new view ID.

Also, when saveAndRestore was true the workbench wrote out the list of views with IDs open in your perspective. As long as it is set, the only way to see a new view added to a currently open perspective is to reset the perspective (which will close views manually opened that aren't part of the perspective).

PW

Re: Changed View ID, now it never displays [message #769796 is a reply to message #769674] Thu, 22 December 2011 17:23 Go to previous message
Thanks!
I hope the -clean would have helped.
The fun part is that I somehow apparently did the equivalent while doing some eclipse updates. (added Perforce plugin)
It suddenly started working.
(Actually, I really dislike it when things start working again - and I don't know WHY.)
Previous Topic:Change view tab color in a product.
Next Topic:Using 3rd party .jar in my RCP app
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:28:25 GMT 2024