Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Installation on (K)Ubuntu Linux(Installation instructions for CDT on Kubuntu, Java version)
Installation on (K)Ubuntu Linux [message #767779] Sun, 18 December 2011 23:02 Go to next message
Leo Umny is currently offline Leo UmnyFriend
Greetings to all,

I have downloaded CDT for installation on the following environment: Kubuntu 10.04 64 bit on Intel, Fusion on MacBookPro.

I would appreciate help with these questions:

1. Is the file eclipse-cpp-indigo-SR1-incubation-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz a correct selection for the referenced above platform?

2. Where can I find installation instructions?

3. How do I determine whether the Java installation on my platform is sufficient for this Eclipse package?

Thank you
Re: Installation on (K)Ubuntu Linux [message #767903 is a reply to message #767779] Mon, 19 December 2011 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I managed to install CDT. This is just my experience, I do not claim to have "academically" complete set of instructions.

I am going to post the details tomorrow, it's late already. Briefly though, using aptitude package manager, search for 'eclipse', and then using apt-get select and install relevant packages in the intuitively logical sequence, skipping some that do not seem relevant, let's say, plug-in development environment.

Since CDT is not one of the packages found in the search, it had to be installed using Help->Install pull-down menu option, referencing p2 repository URL appropriate for the given level of the Eclipse platform installed, in this case Gallileo.

At this point, I can launch Eclipse from the Kubuntu desktop, and then open C/C++ perspective. Hopefully, it's fully functional, since installer did not report any errors.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 December 2011 07:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Installation on (K)Ubuntu Linux [message #768072 is a reply to message #767903] Mon, 19 December 2011 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
I would advise to download Eclipse direct from its homepage. Then you will have the latest version (Galileo is two major versions). Installation is quite simple. Just unzip the downloaded file and then start Eclipse. All you need is a Java runtime installation.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Installation on (K)Ubuntu Linux [message #768451 is a reply to message #768072] Tue, 20 December 2011 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you, I will try to do that. I am concerned though that since the package manager does not allow to go above certain level of Eclipse the latest version may not function properly.
Re: Installation on (K)Ubuntu Linux [message #768465 is a reply to message #768451] Tue, 20 December 2011 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beihaghian Missing name is currently offline beihaghian Missing nameFriend
hello all
I want to compile and debug my fortran(f77) codes in linux. i search a lot and finally i chose "Eclipse IDE for Parallel Application Developers (includes Incubating components)" from Eclipse Indigo R Packages.
Is my chose correct?
If yes.... how should i install it?
I downloaded it but i can't install!
I have ubuntu 11.04 32bit
Thanks for your help
Re: Installation on (K)Ubuntu Linux [message #768484 is a reply to message #768451] Tue, 20 December 2011 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
rdncloud wrote on Tue, 20 December 2011 08:23
Thank you, I will try to do that. I am concerned though that since the package manager does not allow to go above certain level of Eclipse the latest version may not function properly.

When Kubuntu 10.04 was released Eclipse Galileo was the most recent version. However, newer packages are not released for Kubuntu (only minor updates with bugfixes but not new versions). The main dependence of Eclipse is a Java runtime. So usually you should not encounter any problems like e.g. a C/C++ program that depends on specific library versions. BTW, I am using Kubuntu 10.04 and Eclipse Indigo without any problems since the release in June.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Installation on (K)Ubuntu Linux [message #768494 is a reply to message #768484] Tue, 20 December 2011 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought that JRE might be the only dependency, but was not sure. Thank you for the clarification.

So, what you are suggesting is to download, let's say, the Indigo CDT tar file appropriate for this platform (x86-64), delete the existing eclipse subtree, and untar the new package into the same location, correct?
Re: Installation on (K)Ubuntu Linux [message #768496 is a reply to message #768465] Tue, 20 December 2011 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Moved my comment appropriately

[Updated on: Tue, 20 December 2011 09:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Installation on (K)Ubuntu Linux [message #768497 is a reply to message #768465] Tue, 20 December 2011 09:04 Go to previous message
beihaghian wrote on Tue, 20 December 2011 03:02
hello all
I want to compile and debug my fortran(f77) codes in linux. i search a lot and finally i chose "Eclipse IDE for Parallel Application Developers (includes Incubating components)" from Eclipse Indigo R Packages.
Is my chose correct?
If yes.... how should i install it?
I downloaded it but i can't install!
I have ubuntu 11.04 32bit
Thanks for your help

You may want to place your question into a separate thread. You may not get an answer placing it in the middle of this one.
Previous Topic:Linking statically to 3rd party libraries (on linux)
Next Topic:Variables don't appear while debugging
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:20:52 GMT 2024