Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » BusyIndicator in RAP
BusyIndicator in RAP [message #765591] Wed, 14 December 2011 10:53 Go to next message
Avrajit Chatterjee is currently offline Avrajit ChatterjeeFriend
Hi ,

Does busy indicator work in RAP? Or do we need to do some special setting to make it work. As I have seen a topic where you say that if a request is taking more than 500ms you show a busy indicator. But I dont see that happening in my application. Also when I checked the Source Code of Busy Indicator I see that cursor changing code is commented.
Please advice.
Re: BusyIndicator in RAP [message #765832 is a reply to message #765591] Wed, 14 December 2011 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rüdiger Herrmann is currently offline Rüdiger HerrmannFriend
RWT shows an an hour-glass like cursor after a request is running for
500 ms or longer. If you don't see this, please file a bug.

However, this is meant as a last resort. I think most users won't accept
applications that regularly need 500 or more ms to respond.
If you have long running tasks to executed use background threads to
keep the UI responsive.

As you already noticed, the code from the BusyIndicator class is
commented out so that it only executed the given runnable. The
showWhile() method is executed *within* a request. Changing the cursor
would be without a visible effect as the changes are rendered to the
client *after* the request was processed (i.e. after showWhile() returns).

Regards
Rüdiger

On 14.12.2011 11:53, Avrajit wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Does busy indicator work in RAP? Or do we need to do some special
> setting to make it work. As I have seen a topic where you say that if a
> request is taking more than 500ms you show a busy indicator. But I dont
> see that happening in my application. Also when I checked the Source
> Code of Busy Indicator I see that cursor changing code is commented.
> Please advice.
>
--
Rüdiger Herrmann
http://codeaffine.com
Re: BusyIndicator in RAP [message #766232 is a reply to message #765832] Thu, 15 December 2011 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Rudiger. Our application is pretty heavy in nature (as migrated from RCP) and highly user interactive. Some operations needs needs round about a sec or two to respond and render on the screen. Hence we need some mechanism to tell the user that "we are still processing". And BusyIndicator seems to be an automatic choice. As I said it doesnt show up in RAP. I will file a bug.
Re: BusyIndicator in RAP [message #766235 is a reply to message #765832] Thu, 15 December 2011 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Rudiger. Our application is pretty heavy in nature (as migrated from RCP) and highly user interactive. Some operations needs round about a sec or two to respond and render on the screen.We cant run them in the background as user's next actions depend on them. Hence we need some mechanism to tell the user that "we are still processing". And BusyIndicator seems to be an automatic choice. As I said it doesnt show up in RAP. I will file a bug.
Re: BusyIndicator in RAP [message #766236 is a reply to message #765832] Thu, 15 December 2011 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Rudiger. Our application is pretty heavy in nature (as migrated from RCP) and highly user interactive. Some operations needs needs round about a sec or two to respond and render on the screen. Hence we need some mechanism to tell the user that "we are still processing". And BusyIndicator seems to be an automatic choice. As I said it doesnt show up in RAP. I will file a bug.
Re: BusyIndicator in RAP [message #766237 is a reply to message #765832] Thu, 15 December 2011 12:23 Go to previous message
Thanks Rudiger. Our application is pretty heavy in nature (as migrated from RCP) and highly user interactive. Some operations needs round about a sec or two to respond and render on the screen.We cant run them in the background as user's next actions depend on them. Hence we need some mechanism to tell the user that "we are still processing". And BusyIndicator seems to be an automatic choice. As I said it doesnt show up in RAP. I will file a bug.
Previous Topic:BusyIndicator in RAP
Next Topic:Catch Javascript Exception
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 08:31:56 GMT 2024