Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Staging view reindexing repository <repo> seemingly stuck
Staging view reindexing repository <repo> seemingly stuck [message #765469] Wed, 14 December 2011 06:09 Go to next message
Tim Webb is currently offline Tim WebbFriend
What is the expected time one should see with the "Staging view reindexing repository <repo>"? I've been working with our new repos now that we've migrated from CVS to EGit, and for some reason within the last 24 hours, my Git Staging view seems to keep causing a never-ending job that is trying to reindex my repository. The repository that is hanging has approximately 700mb of contents so it's large but not enormous and there are a couple other supporting repositories in my workspace.

Unfortunately I can't find much in the way of errors to report, other than the current "reindexing" has been running for 15 minutes. I've a relatively recent MacBook Pro with 4gb of memory that this workspace is running on without any great success.

Basic details include EGit 1.1.0 (originally reproduced with 1.2.0 nightly), Eclipse 3.6.2, Gerrit 2.2.1 configured. When the issue occurs, while the job is there and can block other jobs like builds / saves from happening, my CPU / disk seem relatively idle. I can do a Pull from Upstream fine without issue and have been using the workspace to test the integration with Gerrit for code review.

Thanks for any pointers / hints!

Tim
Re: Staging view reindexing repository <repo> seemingly stuck [message #768152 is a reply to message #765469] Mon, 19 December 2011 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jens Baumgart is currently offline Jens BaumgartFriend
How long does "git status" take on the command line for the problematic repository?
Can you open a bug report and provide a thread dump?
Re: Staging view reindexing repository <repo> seemingly stuck [message #768306 is a reply to message #768152] Mon, 19 December 2011 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
could you retry after running git gc from the command line ?
Re: Staging view reindexing repository <repo> seemingly stuck [message #768309 is a reply to message #765469] Mon, 19 December 2011 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, a few data points:

1 - I don't currently have git installed on the command line. I'm only using jgit + egit from within Eclipse as I was trying to model what I was going to have my dev team also use. If best practices include having command line git installed, I can certainly do so.

2 - I rebuilt my workspace starting with 1.1.0 and I don't see the same issue. Yes, it is slow (maybe 15 seconds to index), but not minutes. When I first setup my workspace, I had cloned the repositories using 1.2.0 and saw the issue on 1.2.0 then downgraded to 1.1.0 and continued to see the problem there. I do not know if this was related to 1.2.0 cloning the repo, or something I had done wrong with my repo.

3 - The size of my repo is approximately 800MB with perhaps 15,000 artifacts in it. I do have a couple other repos of various contents also in my workspace.

Please advise if you would like me to install the git tools on Mac and I will be happy to proceed -- alternatively, if there is regression risk in 1.2.0, I can also see about reproducing under egit 1.2.0 the failure with the sync again. Apologies for not keeping my system in the broken state but it was stopping me from project work.

Cheers and thanks,
Tim
Re: Staging view reindexing repository <repo> seemingly stuck [message #768347 is a reply to message #768309] Tue, 20 December 2011 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes please install native git and try if git status is also slow and try if gc improves the situation
Re: Staging view reindexing repository <repo> seemingly stuck [message #768388 is a reply to message #765469] Tue, 20 December 2011 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having installed the git command line tools has indeed made a difference. Before running "git gc", the "git status" was taking an excessive amount of time (waited 20 minutes!?). After "git gc" which took maybe 1 minute to run, it was within about 8 seconds to run "git status". Running within Eclipse seems to be working well.

I'm surprised the difference between the time before and after -- it seems excessive for a new workspace that is only a couple weeks old. Do you have any pointers on docs / links that may explain some of what goes on under the covers with Git that might explain what was happening?
Re: Staging view reindexing repository <repo> seemingly stuck [message #768835 is a reply to message #768388] Tue, 20 December 2011 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
see the following links to understand what gc is all about

http://schacon.github.com/git/git-gc.html
http://book.git-scm.com/4_maintaining_git.html
http://book.git-scm.com/7_how_git_stores_objects.html
http://progit.org/book/ch9-4.html
http://alblue.bandlem.com/2011/11/git-tip-of-week-gc-and-pruning-this.html

We are working on the gc implementaton for JGit this will also enable
EGit to take care for this housekeeping

http://egit.eclipse.org/r/#change,4705
Re: Staging view reindexing repository &lt;repo&gt; seemingly stuck [message #768969 is a reply to message #768388] Wed, 21 December 2011 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
Tim Webb skrev 2011-12-20 04.23:
> Having installed the git command line tools has indeed made a difference. Before running "git gc", the "git status" was taking an excessive amount of time (waited 20
> minutes!?). After "git gc" which took maybe 1 minute to run, it was within about 8 seconds to run "git status". Running within Eclipse seems to be working well.
>
> I'm surprised the difference between the time before and after -- it seems excessive for a new workspace that is only a couple weeks old. Do you have any pointers on docs /
> links that may explain some of what goes on under the covers with Git that might explain what was happening?

One thing that you can blame for bad Mac OS X performance is Spotlight, it gobbles up huge amount of memory and
does a lot of disk accesses. If you have a lot of apps running the the Spotlight (look for mds in top) starts
paging and everything will be very slow. Letting it run alone for a while instead of closing the
lid might help as it lets mds finish.

Not just git repository access gets slow when this happens, but the effects may be more severe since the
number of files accesses is large.

-- robin
Re: Staging view reindexing repository &lt;repo&gt; seemingly stuck [message #781093 is a reply to message #768969] Fri, 20 January 2012 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Procter is currently offline Jim ProcterFriend
there's an issue with the re-indexer. I experienced the same never-ending 're-indexing git project X', which persisted after I did git-gc and checked the git-status returned in less than a second. It turned out that an automatically applied Groovy-nature (from a recent update) had created a directory in the project that the indexer couldn't find, because the project's git working directory is outside the workspace directory.

Check the Error log to see if there are any issues - the re-index simply reruns until it finishes if there is an error. If there are errors, try to fix them (e.g. delete virtual resources not actually in the git repo directory), and this should allow the reindexer to complete.
Re: Staging view reindexing repository &lt;repo&gt; seemingly stuck [message #810892 is a reply to message #781093] Thu, 01 March 2012 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephane DI VITO is currently offline Stephane DI VITOFriend
In my case the "never-ending 're-indexing git project X'" seemed to be due to the presence of output files inside the project.

I have solved this issue by adding the output folder into the .gitignore file.

I hope this helps.

Re: Staging view reindexing repository &lt;repo&gt; seemingly stuck [message #855433 is a reply to message #810892] Tue, 24 April 2012 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lui B is currently offline Lui BFriend
I still have got the never ending 're-indexing' problem, all output files are ignored, git gc, git status work fine and finish in <1s.
The Cpu works with 100% on my new MBP.

The commit and diff fails with:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.egit.core.ContainerTreeIterator.<init>(ContainerTreeIterator.java:124)
at org.eclipse.egit.core.ContainerTreeIterator.createSubtreeIterator(ContainerTreeIterator.java:132)
at org.eclipse.jgit.treewalk.AbstractTreeIterator.createSubtreeIterator(AbstractTreeIterator.java:527)
at org.eclipse.jgit.treewalk.TreeWalk.enterSubtree(TreeWalk.java:908)
at org.eclipse.jgit.treewalk.TreeWalk.next(TreeWalk.java:566)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.dialogs.CompareTreeView.buildMaps(CompareTreeView.java:599)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.dialogs.CompareTreeView.access$19(CompareTreeView.java:534)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.dialogs.CompareTreeView$4.run(CompareTreeView.java:507)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)

eclipse.buildId=M20120208-0800
java.version=1.6.0_31
java.vendor=Apple Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -keyring /Users/lui/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86 -keyring /Users/lui/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

Eclipse EGit 1.3.0.201202151440-r org.eclipse.egit.feature.group Eclipse EGit
Re: Staging view reindexing repository &lt;repo&gt; seemingly stuck [message #856323 is a reply to message #855433] Wed, 25 April 2012 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elatllat Missing name is currently offline elatllat Missing nameFriend
related bug:

bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=377644
Re: Staging view reindexing repository &lt;repo&gt; seemingly stuck [message #856548 is a reply to message #856323] Wed, 25 April 2012 19:26 Go to previous message
Lui B is currently offline Lui BFriend
ok thx, but do I have any chance to find out how to solve the reindexing problem? Is there any info you need to have?
Unfortunately egit is not usable for me at all at the moment.
Previous Topic:How do I create a proper new local and remote branch combination?
Next Topic:Synchronize bug on the working tree
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 20:29:41 GMT 2024