Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » How do I access local stream files?
How do I access local stream files? [message #765179] Tue, 13 December 2011 15:09 Go to next message
Joe Pluta is currently offline Joe PlutaFriend
This is a bit off the beaten path, but I was wondering if there was a way in EGL to access files in the local file system. The genesis of this question was that I wanted to perhaps write a tool to pre-process my EGL source (in this case to conditionally comment or uncomment some code, sort of like an IFDEF processor). Well, I thought, what better way to do it than to write it in EGL!

So now I'd like to know if there is even a way to access files in the underlying file system. I'd do it from a standalone EGL program, something that to date I have only done for debugging. At the end of the day, I'd like the program to access the local disk when running on the PC and access the IFS if running on the IBM i, although I suppose the ultimate would be to be able to point it to a target machine, but that's an entirely different kettle of fish.

Anyway, is this possible, or am I just wandering off into the woods here? Can I do this in EGL or should I just write the Java code and be done with it?
Re: How do I access local stream files? [message #765195 is a reply to message #765179] Tue, 13 December 2011 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will Smythe is currently offline Will SmytheFriend
Joe - there is currently no built-in support for accessing files. I did a quick scan and did not see an open enhancement request for it - can you please open one (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=EDT)? The support should be provided in the same way as SQL support in 0.7 (e.g. a new data source type -- like FileDataSource -- and configuration via resource bindings). Tim or others may have already thought through this.

For now, you can create an EGL external type that calls a Java class to interact with files using java.io.
Re: How do I access local stream files? [message #765268 is a reply to message #765195] Tue, 13 December 2011 18:24 Go to previous message
Joe Pluta is currently offline Joe PlutaFriend
I added bug #366593 under EGL Language.
Previous Topic:Food for thought -- need a way to deploy JS only apps
Next Topic:EGL web project security setting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:51:11 GMT 2024