Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » "File Search" hangs or crashes
"File Search" hangs or crashes [message #762562] Thu, 08 December 2011 09:59 Go to next message
Arman  is currently offline Arman Friend
I don't want to seem like I'm just flaming Eclipse here, because I quite like it and I certainly appreciate its diverseness and power, but the phantom errors, lib i386 warnings (I move between 32-bit and 64-bit interfaces) and other errors that randomly appear until I "clean" and rebuild my project is just too much. On top of that Eclipse indigo is now hanging whenever I use the search->file option to search through my files.

I was thinking of leaving Eclipse (from installing it on ubuntu to setting up basic settings has been more of an uphill battle than it should be), but would first like to give an older more stable version a try, because despite the struggles I've become quite accustomed to and fond of the Eclipse interface. I'm currently using Eclipse Indigo Service Release 1 on Ubuntu 11.10 32-bit.

So what is the most stable, reliable C++ ready version of Eclipse that I might be able to try before returning to the murky depths of makefiles and vim (or possibly netbeans)?

[Updated on: Thu, 08 December 2011 10:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: "File Search" hangs or crashes [message #762784 is a reply to message #762562] Thu, 08 December 2011 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yevgeny Shifrin is currently offline Yevgeny ShifrinFriend
Hi,

In order to try to solve the issue you are observing could you please open a bug with relevant info (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/query.cgi?product=CDT):
* http://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock.
* Please see errors (exceptions) in eclipse "error" view.

What do you mean by crashing? Is it a JVM crash (eclipse vanishes)?

Thanks,
Yevgeny
Re: "File Search" hangs or crashes [message #763179 is a reply to message #762784] Fri, 09 December 2011 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The search error comes and goes, and seems to depend on whether or not I'm filtering files from my project workspace. I simply don't have the time to submit reports for every problem I run into with Eclipse; just today half my project returned compiler errors after a directory disappeared because I made the mistake of trying to rename a it "IO" to "io", apparently certain parts of Eclipse are case sensitive while others are not...

I was hoping you could refer me to a earlier, more stable release that functions well with CDT.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 December 2011 09:56]

Re: "File Search" hangs or crashes [message #763192 is a reply to message #763179] Fri, 09 December 2011 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yevgeny Shifrin is currently offline Yevgeny ShifrinFriend
Hi,

I am using CDT Indigo (previously CDT Helios) on every day basis. File search is used a lot. I never encountered problems you described. So I do not know which version will be "stable" for you.

In order to be able to solve such issues, I was hoping you could be more specific on the problem you are observing.

Thanks,
Yevgeny

Re: "File Search" hangs or crashes [message #763262 is a reply to message #763192] Fri, 09 December 2011 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I currently don't have the search problem; it disappeared after I stopped linking directories that weren't physically in the workspace. After my folders disappeared I tried to delete my project and start again; now I'm getting this error on compile:

Quote:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file test_proj: Is a directory

These errors typically vanish, although I've never seen this one before; I suspect this might be something I've done wrong in the settings somewhere. I find it hard to believe that others don't have these problems - I've tried running Eclipse on fresh installs on my 32-bit Ubuntu machine, my 64-bit ubuntu i7 at work, and on my girlfriend's Windows Vista 64-bit setup. With both my Ubuntu installs I have constant problems, mostly arising from the fact that deleting the build directory and "cleaning" the project don't seem to reset everything (rebuilding/cleaning/deleting Debug repeatedly eventually gets rid of the errors), on the Vista setup Eclipse didn't realise that the binary was being built in the Debug directory, and just reported "Binary not found" after compiling. I ended up just running the execs from a command prompt, which sort of worked.

So either I have terrible luck, or I'm just all thumbs...

[Updated on: Fri, 09 December 2011 12:58]

Re: "File Search" hangs or crashes [message #976599 is a reply to message #763262] Thu, 08 November 2012 18:03 Go to previous message
Michael Wirzbicki is currently offline Michael WirzbickiFriend
Greetings,
I too am now getting the hanging on "file search" after processing a certain percent of the workspace has been completed (13%). I'm using eclipse 3.7.2 (Eclipse Platform 3.7.2.M20120208-0800) on an Win7(64) enterprise system.

All had been working well previous to this state. Is this a known problem or is it user induced. I have to shutdown eclipse and start it back up to clear the hanging state for the search (progress tab show search just hanging even if I try to stop the search command).

Any help is apprecaited!
Regards,
Mike W.
Previous Topic:IMG files notfound
Next Topic:project clean without `rm`
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:38:05 GMT 2024