Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » Am I in the right track?
Am I in the right track? [message #761894] Wed, 07 December 2011 08:49 Go to next message
jan  is currently offline jan Friend
I am like totally confused.
Can someone help to verify my following steps are correct?

1) Open IBM Rational Business Developer
2) New -> EGL Project (Project name = "test") -> Types: Web Project
3) Right click on "test" -> New EGL Project (Project name = "test_rui"
-> Types: Rich UI Project
4) Right click on "test_rui" -> new UI Handler
5) import com.ibm.egl.rui.dojo_0.8.0.zip
6) I am able to see EGL Widgets and Dojo Widgets, so I can drag and drop.

Am I in the right track??
I have to develop a EGL web based project but I want to use a Rich UI to assist me while doing the web application development.

Any kind help is zillioms times appreciated !
Re: Am I in the right track? [message #762058 is a reply to message #761894] Wed, 07 December 2011 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Pluta is currently offline Joe PlutaFriend
Hi Jan!

You may be confusing two different products: IBM's Rational Business Developer (RBD) and the Eclipse EGL Development Tools (EDT). Both can be used to develop EGL applications, but they are very different products.

RBD is part of the larger suite of IBM Rational products and does many things: in addition to developing Rich UI applications, it also builds thin client applications and it also is used as a target for people migrating from earlier products like VAGen.

EDT is the new, re-architected open source EGL tooling. Although it uses the same base language (EGL), under the covers a lot of things have changed. They did a great job of hiding most of the architectural changes, but there are syntactic and execution differences between the two tool sets. So, except for the simplest programs, in most cases an example designed for RBD won't work on EDT and vice versa. The EGL Cafe is currently geared toward RBD users, while this forum is specificlaly devoted to EDT.

So, your first task is to decide which tool suite you're going to use. From that point, folks can better direct your questions to the appropriate resources. Does that help at all?
Re: Am I in the right track? [message #762379 is a reply to message #762058] Thu, 08 December 2011 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the great explanation. I thought it is the same products since both also can be used to develop web application. May I know what is the difference between using RBD and EDT? Which one is suited most for developing Rich UI in web application in .egl programs?

Re: Am I in the right track? [message #762811 is a reply to message #762379] Thu, 08 December 2011 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend
Jan,

Both products are suitable for developing rich web applications.

RBD is an IBM product you buy and, as such, it is formally supported by IBM. EDT is an OpenSource product and therefore supported by the OS community. If you are developing a commercial product you have to decide which model you are comfortable with...do you need guaranteed support from a manufacturer?

Also, EDT is literally just today (December 8, 2011) being formally announced in its version 0.7. The product is ready for prime time but it is going to continue to mature over time (the version number being pre-1.0 is not an accident). RBD is a product that has been around for many years and is a completely stable, mature product (again, formally supported by IBM) that you can bet your business on with confidence.

Also, as Joe pointed out, RBD has many features that you won't find in EDT (the audiences for the products are different). If you need to connect with so-called "legacy" platforms then RBD has all of the tools and connectors for doing so.

--Dan
Re: Am I in the right track? [message #762821 is a reply to message #762811] Thu, 08 December 2011 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Pluta is currently offline Joe PlutaFriend
What Dan says is true - the target audiences are different. But connection to legacy alone shouldn't stop you from using EDT. The 0.70 release supports stored procedures and the more traditional program call interface is high on the list. More significant from a functional aspect is the focus on Rich UI; there is no support for thin clients (something I miss, because it provides me a very easy way for my users to dump data to Excel).

More important, I think, is the support issue. Your business model will determine whether you want to pay for an IBM supported product or develop using a purely open source tool. I think most companies would start with EDT for proof of concept and then graduate to RBD for full support as needed. IBM will need to make sure that there is a clearly defined migration path (peferably an automated tool) if they intend to promote that growth path.
Re: Am I in the right track? [message #762964 is a reply to message #762821] Thu, 08 December 2011 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend
Joe--

Great point about stored procedure calls...

--Dan
Re: Am I in the right track? [message #763008 is a reply to message #762964] Fri, 09 December 2011 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amazing! This is a really great knowledge for me. My coy is using RBD and hence I am gonna start off with RBD and completely forget about EDT. Thank you so so much!
Re: Am I in the right track? [message #763400 is a reply to message #763008] Fri, 09 December 2011 17:42 Go to previous message
Theresa Ramsey is currently offline Theresa RamseyFriend
Hi Jan,
If you plan to use Rational Business Developer, I suggest visiting the EGL Cafe (http://ibm.com/rational/eglcafe). There's a forum there for asking RBD/EGL questions, plus blogs and wiki documents with good information.

Good luck!
Theresa
Previous Topic:Observations
Next Topic:EGL Development Tools (EDT) v0.7 is available
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:28:55 GMT 2024