Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » How to create a EGL RUI in web application?
How to create a EGL RUI in web application? [message #761174] Tue, 06 December 2011 03:03 Go to next message
jan  is currently offline jan Friend
Hi,

Any tutorial on how to create an EGL RUI in web based?
When I click on New->EGL Project

-> I can only select one EGL Project Typs:
- Web Project,
- General Project
- Plug-in Project
- Rich UI Project

How do I create one which is RUI page for Web project??
Greatly appreciate!
Re: How to create a EGL RUI in web application? [message #761184 is a reply to message #761174] Tue, 06 December 2011 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony Chen is currently offline Tony ChenFriend
Are you using RBD or EDT? The 4 project types you listed belongs to RBD. If you are using RBD, you can find tutorials in the online help. "create a hello world service with EGL" and "build a mortgage application" are good step by step learning materials.

In EDT, there's no project types. You can do all the EGL development in an EDT project with proper configurations. To ease the configuration work, there are 4 project templates which are pre-configured for the most commonly used scenarios (Basic, Hello world(example), Web 2.0 client application & Web 2.0 client application with services).

Re: How to create a EGL RUI in web application? [message #761217 is a reply to message #761184] Tue, 06 December 2011 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your clear explanation!! Very Happy I am supposed to develop a .egl web based application with rich UI. Which one is the correct one I should start on?
Re: How to create a EGL RUI in web application? [message #761219 is a reply to message #761217] Tue, 06 December 2011 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am I supposed to open the RBD and run updates for EDT?
Re: How to create a EGL RUI in web application? [message #761283 is a reply to message #761219] Tue, 06 December 2011 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fahua jin is currently offline fahua jinFriend
jan wrote on Tue, 06 December 2011 00:42
Am I supposed to open the RBD and run updates for EDT?

Jan, you cannot install the EDT & RBD together, they're different base.

If you just play with RUI handler, you can just select the 'Web 2.0 client application' template.

If you want to plan with both RUI handler & EGL service, you need to select the 'Web 2.0 client application with services' template.

In the 2nd page of wizard, you can select to include Dojo widget library project in the workspace or not.

After creating the project, you can create the RUI handler in the package configured with 'JavaScript generator' compiler setting (E,g, the client package by default); In the package configured with 'Java generator' compiler setting (E,g, the server package by default), you can create any service part or EGL program part.

To know the compiler setting of a package. Right click the package > Properties > EGL Compiler > in the property window, you can know the compiler setting information. If a package configured with both JavaScript & Java generator, which means that the parts in that package will be generated to both JavaScript & Java code. For example, you can put the record definition in that package which will be used in either RUI handler and service. If only 1 compiler setting is specified, then 1 corresponding target language will be generated.

Re: How to create a EGL RUI in web application? [message #761285 is a reply to message #761217] Tue, 06 December 2011 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suggest you start with EDT. Follow the steps in http://eclipse.org/edt/ to install and build a first EGL Rich UI app.
Re: How to create a EGL RUI in web application? [message #761310 is a reply to message #761285] Tue, 06 December 2011 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, got it! Greatly appreciate your great help!
Re: How to create a EGL RUI in web application? [message #761771 is a reply to message #761310] Wed, 07 December 2011 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where can I find such jar files like com.ibm.egl.rui.portal_1.0.2 and com.ibm.egl.rui.dialog_1.0.1? I login to the EGL cafe but where can I download these jar files?
Re: How to create a EGL RUI in web application? [message #761848 is a reply to message #761771] Wed, 07 December 2011 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan, which sample/tutorial are you playing with? It sounds like you are looking at an RBD sample from the EGL cafe which is the community site of RBD.
Re: How to create a EGL RUI in web application? [message #762284 is a reply to message #761174] Wed, 07 December 2011 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theresa Ramsey is currently offline Theresa RamseyFriend
Hi Jan,
As a few folks have mentioned, while RBD and EDT are both EGL development tools, they are a bit different and should not share the same Eclipse base or workspaces.

On the EDT site (eclipse.org/edt), you will see a few options for download.

Using EDT, a good starting point would be to create an EGL project using the Hello World template which shows a simple rich UI app calling a service as outlined in the Getting Started tutorial. You can use the other templates to create your own application.

There are also a few samples available on the EDT Documentation page.

Samples on the EGL Cafe are intended to work with RBD or EGL CE, but not EDT (without modification). We'll continue to add EDT samples to the EDT site on eclipse.org.

Good luck! Let us know how it's going!
Theresa

Re: How to create a EGL RUI in web application? [message #762377 is a reply to message #762284] Thu, 08 December 2011 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi All kind pple,

May I know what is the difference between using RBD and EDT for EGL RUI web application? Which one is easier/better to use/deploy? Please advise.

Thank you sooooo much!!
Re: How to create a EGL RUI in web application? [message #762814 is a reply to message #762377] Thu, 08 December 2011 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend
Jan,

Both products are suitable for developing rich web applications. I wouldn't point to either as easier to use than the other or necessarily "better".

RBD is an IBM product you buy and, as such, it is formally supported by IBM. EDT is an OpenSource product and therefore supported by the OS community. If you are developing a commercial product you have to decide which model you are comfortable with...do you need guaranteed support from a manufacturer?

Also, EDT is literally just today (December 8, 2011) being formally announced in its version 0.7. The product is ready for prime time but it is going to continue to mature over time (the version number being pre-1.0 is not an accident). RBD is a product that has been around for many years and is a completely stable, mature product (again, formally supported by IBM) that you can bet your business on with confidence.

Also, as Joe pointed out, RBD has many features that you won't find in EDT (the audiences for the products are different). If you need to connect with so-called "legacy" platforms then RBD has all of the tools and connectors for doing so.

--Dan
Re: How to create a EGL RUI in web application? [message #762929 is a reply to message #762814] Thu, 08 December 2011 20:31 Go to previous message
Theresa Ramsey is currently offline Theresa RamseyFriend
Hi Jan,
As Dan mentions, support is one difference between RBD and EDT. EDT is open source, and relies on the Eclipse community (made of up people from IBM and many other companies) to support it in terms of answering forum posts, creating bugs and enhancements in Bugzilla, and providing patches and new code. RBD is a commercial (paid) product from IBM, and support is offered through IBM via its official support mechanisms (PMRs, APARs, licensed fixpacks, etc).

Though some of the EDT code was based on RBD code, EDT is designed to be flexible, extensible and consistent across generation options so that the Eclipse community could add to it and extend it.

Eventually, IBM plans to base RBD on EDT. RBD will contain enterprise-level, value-add features (such as COBOL generation) that are not planned for EDT.

We'll have a blog shortly to explain the technical differences between RBD and EDT in more detail.

Theresa

Previous Topic:Debug
Next Topic:Unable to see EGL Web Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:11:55 GMT 2024