Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Programmatic Contribution Factories not supported
Programmatic Contribution Factories not supported [message #760907] Mon, 05 December 2011 14:51 Go to next message
Matthias Villiger is currently offline Matthias VilligerFriend
Hi

I have a question concerning the compatibility layer and menu contribution factories.
In eclipse 3.7 we extended the ExtensionContributionFactory to programmatically contribute CommandContributionItems using the org.eclipse.ui.menus extension point.

As far as I can see this is not yet supported in the compatibility layer of our eclipse version (Build id: 20111110-1543).
When I check org.eclipse.ui.internal.menus.MenuPersistence there is some removed (commented out) code in the readAdditions() method together with a system-out informing that these factories are not supported.

Now to my question:
Is it planned to integrate this feature in a later build?
If yes: what is the plan on that? By when can we expect to make use of menu contribution factories?
If no: what is the alternative to use?

Thanks
Matthias

[Updated on: Mon, 05 December 2011 15:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Programmatic Contribution Factories not supported [message #761112 is a reply to message #760907] Mon, 05 December 2011 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian de Alwis is currently offline Brian de AlwisFriend
One work around might be to provide an MMenuContribution object. It should be straight forward.

Or you could take a stab at implementing it and contributing it back -- it should also be pretty straight forward.

Brian.
Re: Programmatic Contribution Factories not supported [message #762460 is a reply to message #761112] Thu, 08 December 2011 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Zimmermann is currently offline Matthias ZimmermannFriend
Hi Brian

As we from Eclipse Scout are trying hard to maintain backward compatibility with 3.x (all our productive code is there) using MMenuContribution does not seem to be a valid option. So far we were assuming that all public API will be supported by the compatibility layer. This is working great in our case, except for the programmatic contribution factories.

To futher track this issue we opend bug 365903. Many thanks for quickly assigning target milestone M5!

Matthias
Re: Programmatic Contribution Factories not supported [message #762697 is a reply to message #762460] Thu, 08 December 2011 14:21 Go to previous message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

We will support programmitic contribution factories in 4.2 (and in Eclipse 4 they're done differently, via snippets or ModelProcessors or IEventBroker event handlers).

But I've gotta ask, why are you using them? What functionality do they give you over org.eclipse.ui.menus and something like the compound element (a org.eclipse.ui.actions.CompoundContributionItem) or a org.eclipse.ui.menus.CommandContributionItem and a org.eclipse.ui.commands.IElementUpdater?

PW

Previous Topic:How can I create toolbar icons with labels under them?
Next Topic:How to setup a pure e4 Target Definition
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:49:57 GMT 2024