Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Ant build after clean not triggering
Ant build after clean not triggering [message #760892] Mon, 05 December 2011 14:22 Go to next message
CG Mising name is currently offline CG Mising nameFriend
(Searched to see if anyone else has encountered and fixed this seemingly simple problem but cannot find anyone. Also posted on the "newcomers" forum about a week ago but did not get much in the way of replies.)

Using: Eclipse Version: 3.7.1, build id: M20110909-1335

I boiled down my scenario to the following:

I have a Java project called "dummy" with two files directly under it (i.e. NOT under "src"):

build.xml -- this is an Ant build file
testfile.txt -- a simple text file

Here is build.xml:
--------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project name="dummy" basedir=".">

<!-- Clean up the directory -->
<target name="clean">
<echo message="Cleaning" />
<delete dir="./testfolder"></delete>
</target>

<!-- Make directory process -->
<target name="makeDir">
<echo message="Making" />
<mkdir dir="./testfolder" />
</target>

<!-- Copy file process -->
<target name="copy" depends="makeDir">
<echo message="Copying" />
<copy file="testfile.txt" tofile="./testfolder/testfile.txt" overwrite="true"/>
</target>

</project>
-----------------------------------------------

I've brought up the project properties and made a new Ant builder (called "New_Builder"). I experimented with putting New_Builder both before and after the default Java Builder, but my end results were the same in either case. New_Builder has these characteristics:

-- The "Main" tab has the "Buildfile" pointing to build.xml
-- The "Refresh" tab has the "Refresh resources upon completion" checked, with "The entire workspace" selected.
-- The "Targets" tab has the following settings:* After a "Clean": copy
* Manual Build: copy
* Auto Build: <nothing>
* During a "Clean": clean

My problem:
When I clean this project with "Build Automatically" enabled, the build step (i.e. "copy") does not automatically follow. I can clean all day, but nothing gets built until I perform a "Build Project" - then I see both my "makeDir" and "copy" targets being executed.

In Eclipse 3.6 and earlier, this worked fine: the clean would trigger the build (i.e. "makeDir" followed by "copy").

What's going on? Is this a bug / new behavior with Eclipse 3.7, or am I missing something?

Thanks
Re: Ant build after clean not triggering [message #761474 is a reply to message #760892] Tue, 06 December 2011 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
I think it has been fixed as part of https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=114563. You can find the documentation for this at Workbench User Guide > Getting Started > Ant & external tools tutorial > Ant buildfiles as project builders > Project Builder Ant Targets
Re: Ant build after clean not triggering [message #761601 is a reply to message #761474] Tue, 06 December 2011 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Rennie is currently offline Michael RennieFriend
I think you are right Satyam, it does sound like the problem when we were not correctly setting the build kind when configuring build triggers (part of the fix to https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=114563)
Re: Ant build after clean not triggering [message #762134 is a reply to message #761601] Wed, 07 December 2011 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your responses! Unfortunately, I'm still confused:

* The bug you link says that it was "verified fixed" in 3.7 M6. Does this mean my current version (3.7.1, build id: M20110909-1335) should contain the fix?

* From the user guide you reference:

//////////////////////
After a "Clean"
This build kind is executed after a project has been cleaned via the Project > Clean... command.
After a "Clean" will execute during the next build immediately following the clean regardless of your workspace auto-build settings. If you have workspace auto-build on this will execute automatically following the clean....
//////////////////////

I have the "Project", "Build Automatically" checkbox enabled, but this does not seem to trigger my build to "execute automatically following a clean". I do NOT have anything under the "Auto Build" target in my builder.... is this what you are suggesting I need? Because this option performs behavior that I really don't want (e.g. triggering my "copy" target everytime I touch the file, which is not my intent).

Again, thanks for your comments and any additional clarification you can give.
Re: Ant build after clean not triggering [message #762500 is a reply to message #762134] Thu, 08 December 2011 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani MegertFriend
On 07.12.2011 16:44, CG wrote:
> Thanks for your responses! Unfortunately, I'm still confused:
>
> * The bug you link says that it was "verified fixed" in 3.7 M6. Does
> this mean my current version (3.7.1, build id: M20110909-1335) should
> contain the fix?
Yes.

Dani
>
> * From the user guide you reference:
>
> //////////////////////
> After a "Clean"
> This build kind is executed after a project has been cleaned via the
> Project > Clean... command. After a "Clean" will execute during the
> next build immediately following the clean regardless of your
> workspace auto-build settings. If you have workspace auto-build on
> this will execute automatically following the clean....
> //////////////////////
>
> I have the "Project", "Build Automatically" checkbox enabled, but this
> does not seem to trigger my build to "execute automatically following
> a clean". I do NOT have anything under the "Auto Build" target in my
> builder.... is this what you are suggesting I need? Because this
> option performs behavior that I really don't want (e.g. triggering my
> "copy" target everytime I touch the file, which is not my intent).
>
> Again, thanks for your comments and any additional clarification you
> can give.
>
Re: Ant build after clean not triggering [message #768045 is a reply to message #762500] Mon, 19 December 2011 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dani -- you say "Yes" (i.e. the problem should be fixed in the version I have), but I'm not seeing the behavior I expect (as I describe and you quote without comment in the bottom-most bullet).

Do I misunderstand what the behavior should be? This is definitely a change in behavior from pre-Eclipse-3.7 versions.
Re: Ant build after clean not triggering [message #768510 is a reply to message #768045] Tue, 20 December 2011 09:34 Go to previous message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
This behaviour got introduced in 3.7 along with the said bug. I agree that there is a confusion over what should really happen. https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=352131 tracks this problem.
Previous Topic:short cut key to navigate to the starting of the loop or an if-else condition
Next Topic:Eclipse exe file publisher information
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 21:43:54 GMT 2024