Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Some UI/workflow feedback from a newbie
Some UI/workflow feedback from a newbie [message #760816] Mon, 05 December 2011 10:58 Go to next message
Aurélien Pupier is currently offline Aurélien PupierFriend

Hi,

as asked by Achim Loerke on the mailing-list after he read my feedback on ECE 2011 blogpost, I will try to share some thoughts from my POV, ie the pov of a Jubula newbie about usability.

• Have a wizard to setup a first project, configure AUT
  • Have a button or a menu to configure AUT because need to go to Test->Properties is too complicated. (As I didn't use Jubula since ece I was again searching for it 2 minutes)
  • On the AUTs properties page, have a description of what is AUT
  • Provides more libraries for different components and provides some complex components to follow best practices (assertEnable on button for instance)
  • Provide an easy way to share modules (Is it quite related to contextual menu "move to external project?)
  • Provides wizard to create new components library (ok more for dev guy but it will bring ability to do it for less implicated guy in Jubula world)
  • Have hint/quickfix to create data sets
  • Have menu "New Test suite" and "New Test jobs" instead of having "only" (AFAIK) contextual menu to create them.
  • Have a detection of patterns that are done a lot of time in test case in order to factorize it

I'm aware that some points might be hard to implement but I hope they bring other ideas easier to implement.

Just a note that might be important: before the tutorial I wasn't able to run a single test because I wasn't able to configure the AUT. Ok I didn't spent a lot of time and AUT concept was completely new for me but that's why I think a wizard to make the first setup might be a good idea.

I hope these feedback will help to improve this powerful tool.

regards,

Aurélien Pupier - Red Hat
Senior Software Engineer in Fuse Tooling team
Re: Some UI/workflow feedback from a newbie [message #761519 is a reply to message #760816] Tue, 06 December 2011 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hello Aurelien,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and feedback. We've got a couple of clarification questions for some of them; it would be great if you could point us in the right direction Smile

Quote:
Have a wizard to setup a first project, configure AUT

We do have a wizard under Test -> New. This brings up a New Project Wizard to create the project, and the next pages are to define an AUT and configure one. Did you not find the wizard (where could we put it / how could we name it so that it is easier to find?), or was it insufficient as a wizard? You are right, getting an AUT started is unfortunately one of the more complex things, and in a trial or demo, people want to be able to do it first of all.

Quote:
Have a button or a menu to configure AUT

The problem that we have here is that each project can have more than one AUT, and each AUT usually has more than one configuration. A toolbar button with a drop-down menu could end up with long lists and multiple cascades (not that we don't have that in other places, but it isn't a design decision we like making Wink ). We're open for suggestions on making this structure more accessible while keeping it clear what belongs to what.

Quote:
On the AUTs properties page, have a description of what is AUT

Yup, this is a good point Smile

Quote:
Provides more libraries for different components and provides some complex components to follow best practices (assertEnable on button for instance)

Do you mean more "toolkits" (i.e. support for .net applications) or new supported components? In terms of supported components, we tend to think we have covered quite a lot of them, but it's true that they may not always be easy to find (assertEnable for example is under the category "Actions (basic) / Check " and is then at the bottom "ub_grc_checkEnablement" - because it is an action that can be performed on any component). Or were you more referring to modules joined together like the ones in the tutorial (e.g. synchronized click containing wait for component, check enablement then click?).

Quote:
Provide an easy way to share modules (Is it quite related to contextual menu "move to external project?)

Yes, the move to external project would be the option here. However, we're planning on changing our internal model for data after the next release, so maybe some things will be happening in this area soon.

Quote:
Provides wizard to create new components library (ok more for dev guy but it will bring ability to do it for less implicated guy in Jubula world)

Do you mean to add new "toolkits" (whole new supported interfaces), or new components within already supported toolkits? For the second case, we already have a bug entry , and are working on some more examples using the current approach. There's also a new blog entry about writing extensions which may help.

Quote:
Have hint/quickfix to create data sets

Can you clarify the context? We have an enhancement request for creating central data sets from normal data sets on Test Cases - is that the direction you were thinking?

Quote:
Have menu "New Test suite" and "New Test jobs" instead of having "only" (AFAIK) contextual menu to create them.

The "edit" menu contains items for New Test Suite and Test Jobs which are only activated when the Test Suite Browser is active. Nevertheless, if they are hard to find perhaps we need to think of making them easier to get hold of Smile

Quote:
Have a detection of patterns that are done a lot of time in test case in order to factorize it

This is something we've also been thinking about Wink

Thanks again for starting this discussion - if there are any other points arising from what I've said, then please add them. I've gone and asked a lot of questions, but the answers should help us to create user stories for future versions if we can agree on what can be done to improve Jubula.

Best regards,
Alex
Re: Some UI/workflow feedback from a newbie [message #771514 is a reply to message #761519] Tue, 27 December 2011 13:40 Go to previous message
Aurélien Pupier is currently offline Aurélien PupierFriend

Hi Alex,

I keep only topic on which there is still things to discuss/share.

Quote:

Quote:

Have a wizard to setup a first project, configure AUT

We do have a wizard under Test -> New. This brings up a New Project Wizard to create the project, and the next pages are to define an AUT and configure one. Did you not find the wizard (where could we put it / how could we name it so that it is easier to find?), or was it insufficient as a wizard? You are right, getting an AUT started is unfortunately one of the more complex things, and in a trial or demo, people want to be able to do it first of all.

Ok, now remember about this wizard. I wasn't searching it in Test menu. By default in Eclipse, it is File->New. I recognize that semantically it is better under Test menu.
And also totally agree that AUT is the first thing newcomer want to do because he wants to see his own application running.

Quote:

Quote:

Have a button or a menu to configure AUT

The problem that we have here is that each project can have more than one AUT, and each AUT usually has more than one configuration. A toolbar button with a drop-down menu could end up with long lists and multiple cascades (not that we don't have that in other places, but it isn't a design decision we like making ). We're open for suggestions on making this structure more accessible while keeping it clear what belongs to what.

My idea here is just to have a button in "Running AUTs" or in menu to jump directly to the page to configure AUTs.
Go further, have on right-click on a AUT in this view go to directly edit this AUT.

Quote:

Quote:

Provides more libraries for different components and provides some complex components to follow best practices (assertEnable on button for instance)

Do you mean more "toolkits" (i.e. support for .net applications) or new supported components? In terms of supported components, we tend to think we have covered quite a lot of them, but it's true that they may not always be easy to find (assertEnable for example is under the category "Actions (basic) / Check " and is then at the bottom "ub_grc_checkEnablement" - because it is an action that can be performed on any component). Or were you more referring to modules joined together like the ones in the tutorial (e.g. synchronized click containing wait for component, check enablement then click?).

I referred to "modules joined together like the ones in the tutorial".

Quote:

Quote:

Provide an easy way to share modules (Is it quite related to contextual menu "move to external project?)

Yes, the move to external project would be the option here. However, we're planning on changing our internal model for data after the next release, so maybe some things will be happening in this area soon.

Ok So I will stay tuned and try to read "New and Noteworthy".
As you plan to work on it, I want to throw an idea: use a dedicated Eclipse Marketplace to share modules. (For instance there is a dedicated Marketplace for Modeling components)

Quote:

Quote:

Provides wizard to create new components library (ok more for dev guy but it will bring ability to do it for less implicated guy in Jubula world)

Do you mean to add new "toolkits" (whole new supported interfaces), or new components within already supported toolkits? For the second case, we already have a bug entry , and are working on some more examples using the current approach. There's also a new blog entry about writing extensions which may help.

Yes, it is what I mean. Effectively the blog entry and the feature request give me hints.
So If I can go further, have a wizard to create skeleton and then use a DSL or an Eclipse Form editor (or a xml editor with completion to begin).
And to join the previous idea, have a button to push it on a dedicated Eclipse marketplace Smile

Quote:

Quote:

Have hint/quickfix to create data sets

Can you clarify the context? We have an enhancement request for creating central data sets from normal data sets on Test Cases - is that the direction you were thinking?

I wasn't thinking about what you mention.
My idea is that when we "hardcode" a text, there is a shortcut/quickfix to help to use data. And if the text is repeated several times, have a "refactor" action to replace this hardcoded value by a data.

Quote:

Quote:

Have menu "New Test suite" and "New Test jobs" instead of having "only" (AFAIK) contextual menu to create them.

The "edit" menu contains items for New Test Suite and Test Jobs which are only activated when the Test Suite Browser is active. Nevertheless, if they are hard to find perhaps we need to think of making them easier to get hold of

Ouch, never looked into this menu for this. I searched in Test menu or a button on the view. Need to know if I'm the only on the planet to do it or not :s

I hope that it will help you to improve Jubula.

And sorry for my lack of responsiveness.

Regards,

Aurélien Pupier - Red Hat
Senior Software Engineer in Fuse Tooling team
Previous Topic:How to Add JavaScript to Text Area/Text Field
Next Topic:Unable to start/connect to AUT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:34:32 GMT 2024