Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Searching for Binaries
Searching for Binaries [message #759887] Wed, 30 November 2011 13:39 Go to next message
Thomas .Friend
Could someone please tell me what "Searching for Binaries (<project>)" is?

This task is always running in my Eclipse progress view without ever ending.

How can I turn this thing off? What is it supposed to do?

Thank you very much in advance!

Thomas
Re: Searching for Binaries [message #760082 is a reply to message #759887] Thu, 01 December 2011 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Eclipse searches for the binaries to fill the virtual folder "Binaries" in your project (see Project Explorer). These binaries are also used when you create a Launch Configuration.
If you are using an external Makefile Eclipse does not which binaries were created by the build step. Therefore, after every build it searches the complete project for changes. You can limit the search scope in Project Properties->C/C++ General->Paths and Symbols>Output location

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Searching for Binaries [message #760134 is a reply to message #760082] Thu, 01 December 2011 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas .Friend
Thank you very much for your reply.

Indeed I use "external" makefiles, and I never build from within Eclipse.

By your guidance I found the "output location" tab. There is one entry "<project>", which I couldn't delete (even though the "delete" button is enabled).

Now I tried to add a filter "exclusion pattern: *". After hitting "apply" the "operation in progress" window appears and Eclipse hangs. this lasts for appr. 5 min's now.

Could you please advise?
Re: Searching for Binaries [message #760317 is a reply to message #760134] Thu, 01 December 2011 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klaus km is currently offline Klaus kmFriend
Thomas,
i cannot understand why you don't use the Eclipse help? Eclipse has a comprehensive help.

You also find the help online:

http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.cdt.doc.user%2Freference%2Fcdt_u_prop_build_settings_binparser.htm

http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.cdt.doc.user%2Ftasks%2Fcdt_t_proj_parser.htm

Klaus

Re: Searching for Binaries [message #760319 is a reply to message #760317] Thu, 01 December 2011 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas .Friend
Thank you very much for pointing me to these help pages.
Because I don't build from within Eclipse, I didn't guess that these might help me.
I will try out the settings and then post the results.
Re: Searching for Binaries [message #760365 is a reply to message #760134] Fri, 02 December 2011 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas wrote on Thu, 01 December 2011 14:01
Thank you very much for your reply.

Indeed I use "external" makefiles, and I never build from within Eclipse.

By your guidance I found the "output location" tab. There is one entry "<project>", which I couldn't delete (even though the "delete" button is enabled).

Now I tried to add a filter "exclusion pattern: *". After hitting "apply" the "operation in progress" window appears and Eclipse hangs. this lasts for appr. 5 min's now.

Could you please advise?

You should add the folder where your actual binaries are stored. Then you should delete the project entry.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: Searching for Binaries [message #760449 is a reply to message #760317] Fri, 02 December 2011 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas .Friend
Quote:
Thomas,
i cannot understand why you don't use the Eclipse help? Eclipse has a comprehensive help.

You also find the help online:

http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.cdt.doc.user%2Freference%2Fcdt_u_prop_build_settings_binparser.htm

http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.cdt.doc.user%2Ftasks%2Fcdt_t_proj_parser.htm

Klaus

The selection of the binary parser has no effect to my problem.
Thank you very much.
Thomas
Re: Searching for Binaries [message #760450 is a reply to message #760365] Fri, 02 December 2011 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas .Friend
Axel Mueller wrote on Fri, 02 December 2011 08:56

You should add the folder where your actual binaries are stored. Then you should delete the project entry.

Ah, yes. That seems to solve the problem.

However, I also tried the following: Add a filter to the "<project>" entry, which excludes some problematic files. This also soved the problem.

Again, thank you very much.
Thomas
Re: Searching for Binaries [message #760542 is a reply to message #760449] Fri, 02 December 2011 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klaus km is currently offline Klaus kmFriend
Thomas wrote on Fri, 02 December 2011 07:29

Hello Thomas,

even if you deselect all binary parsers, a binary parser is running?
On my PC (Windows+Indigo+CDT8) i can switch on or off the binary parser and it seems to work as expected.

If in your case the binary parser is running, even if you have deselect all parsers, than it looks like a Eclipse bug to me. Maybe you should drop an entry into eclipses bugzilla.

Klaus

Re: Searching for Binaries [message #760841 is a reply to message #760542] Mon, 05 December 2011 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klaus wrote on Fri, 02 December 2011 19:32

Hello Thomas,

On my PC (Windows+Indigo+CDT8) i can switch on or off the binary parser and it seems to work as expected.

If in your case the binary parser is running, even if you have deselect all parsers, than it looks like a Eclipse bug to me. Maybe you should drop an entry into eclipses bugzilla.

Klaus

I guess there is some misunderstanding on your side. I did not suggest to disable the binary parsers completely but to limit the search scope.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: Searching for Binaries [message #760851 is a reply to message #760841] Mon, 05 December 2011 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas .Friend
Axel Mueller wrote on Mon, 05 December 2011 13:29
Klaus wrote on Fri, 02 December 2011 19:32

Hello Thomas,

Klaus

I guess there is some misunderstanding on your side. I did not suggest to disable the binary parsers completely but to limit the search scope.

@Klaus: It seems I got you wrong in first instance. I selected different binary parsers, but did not deselect all of them. After reading the help pages you have posted, I felt interested in retaining the functionality...

@Axel: That's what I did: I added a filter to exclude some problematic files. Now the parser starts, but comes to an end. This solved my original problem.

Thank you both for your kind assistance!
Thomas
Re: Searching for Binaries [message #1270115 is a reply to message #760851] Wed, 12 March 2014 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slajerek . is currently offline slajerek .Friend
What if I use internal makefiles, never touched them and this process does not end too?
Re: Searching for Binaries [message #1849588 is a reply to message #1270115] Wed, 26 January 2022 11:29 Go to previous message
Zdeněk Ziegler is currently offline Zdeněk ZieglerFriend
Hello everyone,
I have encountered the same error as Thomas in the past, but I causes a lot of troubles. Whole eclipse is glitching and after a while it stops responding at all, because Binary parser creates workers searching for a specific file 'XYZ.so' , which are running without end while consuming a lot of Eclipses resources.

- I double checked the project settings -> Paths and Symbols -> Output location and it contains only the projects bin folder, nothing else.
- I also tried to apply filter for specific file 'XYZ.so' , to exclude this problematic file.

But it still run process: "Searching for Binaries (<project>): XYZ.so"

This problem stops only if I turn of all Binary Parsers for given project, but I honestly (I am not C++ developer) do not know how much these parser are important for normal C++ developers work. So i would like to manage this problem in another way.

Can somebody help me, please?

Another fact:
- 'XYZ.so' file really exists in projects bin folder (its subfolder), but given build finished with failure, so given file can be somehow corrupted, but I think it should not broke IDE like it does.
- If i go in C/C++ Projects views to given bin folder and location of 'XYZ.so' file, I am unable to unfold files parent folder and whole Eclipse stops responding until I kill it via Process manager.

Thank you in advance for replies.
Best regards,
Zdenek
Previous Topic:registers mapping through header files in eclipse IDE
Next Topic:undefined reference to `log'
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:29:02 GMT 2024