Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » How Do I Clear the Internal Browser Cache?
How Do I Clear the Internal Browser Cache? [message #759749] Tue, 29 November 2011 20:18 Go to next message
Joe Pluta is currently offline Joe PlutaFriend
I've got a simple client/server app. I deploy it and then do Run As... on the HTML file in the deployment target project. I use the J2EE Preview server, and all is good. Then I make a change and I try it again - deploy, publish, Run As... but I don't see my change. However, I run the same URL in an external browser and it works fine.

It's consistent. Changes show up fine in the external browser, but not in the internal browser.

I'll post this and other things I find as bugs as soon as I get a chance, but I wanted to get this out there.

I am thrilled, though, that the preview works! It may be that I don't need to run through the deploy and publish cycle nearly as much now. I want to try debugging end to end in preview as soon as I get a chance, but one thing at a time. Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 29 November 2011 20:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How Do I Clear the Internal Browser Cache? [message #759848 is a reply to message #759749] Wed, 30 November 2011 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony Chen is currently offline Tony ChenFriend
I can see the same problem in my EDT. I have been using Tomcat as the server and never saw this. Looks like it is just for J2ee preview server.

I normally just use VE preview, or click the "show in external browser" button in VE to quickly view my app under development with external browsers. Only when doing serials testing, will I deploy to a real server.
Re: How Do I Clear the Internal Browser Cache? [message #759892 is a reply to message #759848] Wed, 30 November 2011 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All my development is heavily client/server with persistent clients, so I can't use Preview in RBD (each service call starts a new JVM). I'm really looking forward to the EDT capabilities, but I can't use those until they get remote program calls in place.

I probably should just use the Preview pane rather than a pre-deploy; I just have to unlearn my habit of deploying to test. But the internal browser caching is annoying.
Re: How Do I Clear the Internal Browser Cache? [message #760032 is a reply to message #759892] Thu, 01 December 2011 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Joe, the way to launch services in preview mode (and debug mode) is redesigned. Instead of launching a JVM each time, an embeded Jetty server will provide the service. Call a service in dev mode should be much faster then in RBD. I don't know if this will meet the performance requirement in your scenario, but it certainly worth trying. And I'm very interested to know how it turn out to be.
Re: How Do I Clear the Internal Browser Cache? [message #760034 is a reply to message #760032] Thu, 01 December 2011 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Tony. Yes, I've been looking forward to the Jetty implementation. I'm going to try it right now, although I'm a little unsure as to how to get started. Since I don't have program calls, the quickest thing would be an SQL service. In RBD, I'd create a record type SQLRecord then Retrieve SQL. Next I do a get in my library function and I'm done. As I understand it there's no longer an SQLRecord, so I'm not sure how that works and I have to do some experimentation to figure that out. But once I do, I plan to debug from RUI to service and see how that all works.
Re: How Do I Clear the Internal Browser Cache? [message #760056 is a reply to message #760034] Thu, 01 December 2011 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's many ways to to create a service & sql application. Here's how I usually do.

1. In the Eclipse Database Development perspective, create a Database connection to my db (assume the name is conn1). Use sql script for any database setup work.
  2. Create an EGL project with type "Web 2.0 client application with service".
  3. Create Records in 'common' package using the "New records from SQL databse" wizard. Select "conn1" created in the first step will list all the tables
  4. Create Services in 'server' package. Define the datasource like ds SQLDataSource = SysLib.getResource("conn1");
  5. Open the egldd file, add a SQL database binding in Resource Bindings page, you should be able to select conn1
  6. Create RUIHandlers in 'client' package to call the service. Define the service variable like myservice MyService?{@DedicatedService};

SQLRecord is not in EDT, Entity stereotype and annotations play the similar role as SQLRecord. You can find them in the Record created by the "New records from SQL databse" wizard.

Retrieve SQL function is still available. You can use Ctrl + 1 short cut key on an IO expression like "get myrecords from ds;". It will populate the expression with sql.

Re: How Do I Clear the Internal Browser Cache? [message #760161 is a reply to message #760056] Thu, 01 December 2011 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Tony! As I said, I've always gone down the SQLRecord approach. I'll need to learn to use the New Records wizard (in fact, I'm going to do one right now so I don't forget... and it worked great except for timestamps!).

I do this to create the SQLDataSource:

ds SQLDataSource? { @resource { bindingkey = "MYDSNAME" }};

Joe
Re: How Do I Clear the Internal Browser Cache? [message #760350 is a reply to message #760161] Fri, 02 December 2011 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool!
What problem you have seen with timestamp? There are times you'll have to manually add a ? in the definition to indicate the field is nullable (e.g. t timestamp; --> t timestamp?; ) This is something that we haven't had a chance to fix yet.

The way you you create datasource looks good. Using annotation is just equal to using SysLib.getResource("").

[Updated on: Fri, 02 December 2011 04:37]

Re: How Do I Clear the Internal Browser Cache? [message #760459 is a reply to message #760350] Fri, 02 December 2011 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the only problem with the timestamp is the question mark. It's not big, I just don't understand it. Why do timestamps HAVE to be nullable? Do times and dates also have to be nullable? I just like to understand the "why" behind things so I can explain them to others.
Re: How Do I Clear the Internal Browser Cache? [message #760461 is a reply to message #760459] Fri, 02 December 2011 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just as an update: I got the server-side and client-side debugging both working. Clioent-side debugging doesn't work in the Preview Pane; you have to launch the EGL using Debug As... EGL Rich UI Application in order to activate the client-side breakpoints. The server-side breakpoints work either way. This makes sense; I just have to remember how it works. And it's a little different debugging two different threads at the same time, but once I got the hang of it it was really very cool.
Re: How Do I Clear the Internal Browser Cache? [message #760485 is a reply to message #760461] Fri, 02 December 2011 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justin Spadea is currently offline Justin SpadeaFriend
Going back to what Tony mentioned about SysLib.getResource(), one nice thing about this vs. using @Resource is that you can pass in variables/expressions since it's a statement and not an annotation.

-Justin
Re: How Do I Clear the Internal Browser Cache? [message #760754 is a reply to message #760459] Mon, 05 December 2011 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This wiki page describes some changes in the design of timestamp.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/EDT:EGL_Language_Primitive_Type_Timestamp

The timestamp in a Record created by wizard has to be nullable because it does not contain a pattern thus an instance of timestamp can not be created.

For more information about reference type and value type, see the language overview

http://wiki.eclipse.org/EDT:Language_Overview02

Time is not implemented in EDT 0.7, use timestamp instead.
Date does not need to be defined as nullable

-Tony

[Updated on: Mon, 05 December 2011 06:16]

Re: How Do I Clear the Internal Browser Cache? [message #760869 is a reply to message #760754] Mon, 05 December 2011 13:44 Go to previous message
Thanks, Tony. I think I understand now why timestamp must be nullable, at least based on a literal reading of the rules. The rules say that ETimestamp is a reference unless it has a format.

I think I'll start a separate thread on timestamps and nulls and such.
Previous Topic:How do I debug my preview?
Next Topic:CheckBox behavior
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:02:05 GMT 2024