Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » Java 1.6, Servlet 2.5 and J2EE Preview Server
Java 1.6, Servlet 2.5 and J2EE Preview Server [message #759736] Tue, 29 November 2011 19:24 Go to next message
Joe Pluta is currently offline Joe PlutaFriend
Okay, when I installed Eclipse Indigo, I pointed it to JRE 1.6 for 32-bit. That was fine until I went and created my deployment target. In order to run on the J2EE Preview server, I have to have Dynamic Web Module (also know as the servlet API) facet version 2.5. Selecting servlet 2.5 magically pointed the project back to Java 1.5.

That seemed to be okay for client-only projects, but when I deployed a project with services, it requires annotations that in turn require Java 1.6. So, to make a really long story just somewhat long, I had to make my deployment project use Dynamic Web Module facet version 2.5 but use Java facet 1.6.

If this is clear as mud, imagine what it was like for me as I stumbled through it. Rolling Eyes
Re: Java 1.6, Servlet 2.5 and J2EE Preview Server [message #759857 is a reply to message #759736] Wed, 30 November 2011 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony Chen is currently offline Tony ChenFriend
What do you see in the "Configuration" section when you choose "J2EE Preview" as target runtime in the New Dynamic Web project dialog. I suppose you launch this dialog by clicking the "New" button besides "Target Project" in egldd.
When I do this, the configuration drop down has 5 selection with "Default Configuration for J2EE Preview" as the default. This configuration comes with Dynamic Web Module 2.5 and Java 1.6. So actually I don't have to make any changes. Just select "J2EE Preview" and click finish will give a Dynamic Web project which I can deploy to.
There seemed to be something different in your environment. Could you check is it that your "Default Configuration for J2EE Preview" is configured with Java 1.5, or another configuration then "Default Configuration for J2EE Preview" was selected.

- Tony
Re: Java 1.6, Servlet 2.5 and J2EE Preview Server [message #759897 is a reply to message #759857] Wed, 30 November 2011 13:54 Go to previous message
Joe Pluta is currently offline Joe PlutaFriend
Thanks, Tony! That fixed my problem! I was leaving my target runtime as <None>, but selecting servlet 2.5 as my dynamic web module version. That in turn forces the JVM to 1.5. By selecting J2EE Preview as my target, it works properly as you describe.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 November 2011 13:56]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Getting Started
Next Topic:EDT SQLDataSource init error - REST webservices - running on tomcat
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:03:56 GMT 2024