Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » Food for thought -- need a way to deploy JS only apps
Food for thought -- need a way to deploy JS only apps [message #759080] Sat, 26 November 2011 05:05 Go to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend

I developed an application in EDT that did not contain any Java-targeted parts. It took me a while to figure out how to deploy this application to a standard web server (as opposed to an application server such as Tomcat).

With RBD and EGL CE this task was somewhat less troublesome since the generated JavaScript ended up on a single HTML file. The EDT model of separate JS files and a "loader" mechanism that is based on a web root, etc. complicates matters.

I just wanted to throw out that since there is nothing about a JS-only application that calls for a web application server you might think about an option to deploy JS-only applications to a static web project. (Or am I missing something and this is already possible?)

I think you would increase your audience for EDT since EGL is a great way to write Rich UI code and not all rich applications rise to the level of requiring deployment to a full blown web application server.

--Dan
Re: Food for thought -- need a way to deploy JS only apps [message #759256 is a reply to message #759080] Mon, 28 November 2011 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony Chen is currently offline Tony ChenFriend
Hi Dan,

EDT introduced new design in Rich UI deployment, instead of putting everything into a big HTML, a small HTML will be created as the initial start-up, Rich UI runtime and dependent widget JS will be downloaded by this initial HTML at runtime. As a side effect, deploying to a Web server (instead of Application Server) is not as easy as in RBD. I just created Bug 364925 to track this enhancement.

In 0.7, to deploy an RUI application to a Web Server, please do the following

1. Use the egldd file to deploy to a dynamic web project, choose Tomcat or whatever works for you as the target runtime.
2. Make below changes to the generated HTML in the target project
--a. set your context root into egl__contextRoot="....";
--b. Find xmlhttp.open( 'POST', currentFile, false ); in the bottom of the HTML file, replace 'POST' with 'GET'
3. Deploy everything in <deploy project>/WebContent into the Web Server

[Updated on: Mon, 28 November 2011 06:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Food for thought -- need a way to deploy JS only apps [message #759471 is a reply to message #759256] Mon, 28 November 2011 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

--Dan
Re: Food for thought -- need a way to deploy JS only apps [message #760246 is a reply to message #759471] Thu, 01 December 2011 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will Smythe is currently offline Will SmytheFriend
Dan - definitely open an enhancement against EDT (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=EDT) if there is more than can be done here. Ideally, a developer should be able to code a visual or non-visual RUI component, generate it, and simply include this code into any existing HTML page with a few lines of code. This would make it a lot easier to develop client-side business logic in EGL, but then easily utilize in a non-EGL RUI web app.
Re: Food for thought -- need a way to deploy JS only apps [message #760269 is a reply to message #760246] Thu, 01 December 2011 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Will.

Tony indicated that he opened a bug to track this (364925). Will that suffice?

--Dan
Re: Food for thought -- need a way to deploy JS only apps [message #765199 is a reply to message #760269] Tue, 13 December 2011 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theresa Ramsey is currently offline Theresa RamseyFriend
Hi Dan,
You should be able to cc (subscribe) yourself to that enhancement in Bugzilla https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=364925 so you can follow the status.
Thanks!
Theresa
Re: Food for thought -- need a way to deploy JS only apps [message #765213 is a reply to message #765199] Tue, 13 December 2011 16:31 Go to previous message

Hi Theresa,

Thanks for the reminder. I did that with the multi-dimensional array issue (looks like it is fixed in 0.Cool but I forgot to do it on this one!

--Dan
Previous Topic:Lesson 4 - bug in the start function
Next Topic:How do I access local stream files?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:55:50 GMT 2024