Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » Does it make sense to run headless Eclipse as EMF services back end?(Is headless Eclipse an option for exposing EMF functionality as a service?)
Does it make sense to run headless Eclipse as EMF services back end? [message #758806] Thu, 24 November 2011 15:41 Go to next message
Seref Arikan is currently offline Seref ArikanFriend
Greetings,
I've successfully loaded xml output from web services to ECore models, which opens the way to implementing functionality using some of the EMF projects, such as query and model transformation.

However, I want to expose this functionality as web services, and some EMF projects do not seem to support standalone execution and deployment.
In this case, would it make sense to host code in a headless Eclipse instance, and expose that with a web service? Are there any other obvious options I'm missing?
Would this option be available as Eclipse moves forward, and new versions of frameworks are released?

Kind regards
Seref
Re: Does it make sense to run headless Eclipse as EMF services back end? [message #758814 is a reply to message #758806] Thu, 24 November 2011 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Seref,

Comments below.

On 24/11/2011 4:41 PM, Seref Arikan wrote:
> Greetings, I've successfully loaded xml output from web services to
> ECore models, which opens the way to implementing functionality using
> some of the EMF projects, such as query and model transformation.
> However, I want to expose this functionality as web services, and some
> EMF projects do not seem to support standalone execution and deployment.
Yes, some don't...
> In this case, would it make sense to host code in a headless Eclipse
> instance, and expose that with a web service?
I'm not sure. Web services usually need to run in a web container...
> Are there any other obvious options I'm missing? Would this option be
> available as Eclipse moves forward, and new versions of frameworks are
> released?
Certainly I'm motivated to make the core work in any runtime
environment. Other projects may not be so motivated. Best to ask
specific questions of those projects...
>
>
> Kind regards
> Seref

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Does it make sense to run headless Eclipse as EMF services back end? [message #758818 is a reply to message #758814] Thu, 24 November 2011 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,
Sure, I'll ask the question to other projects too. I've successfully used web containers as a front end to other software before. I would not mind giving it a try with Eclipse, as long as the headless instance would be capable of hosting all the EMF + related sub projects code. It is an expensive setup maybe, but stability matters most in my case. I'll give this option a try and see if I can make it work. It is great to hear the commitment to make core standalone!

Kind regards
Seref
Re: Does it make sense to run headless Eclipse as EMF services back end? [message #758834 is a reply to message #758818] Thu, 24 November 2011 16:40 Go to previous message
As a further update, I think what I'm looking for is already implemented in Eclipse RAP, which seems to use server side Equinox.
Previous Topic:Indirectly referenced Generator Model required although unnecessary
Next Topic:Ecore Custom XML Serialization with ExtendedMetaData
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:11:48 GMT 2024