Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Search for constructor invocations with parameters(jdt.core.search for constructor invocation with parameters)
Search for constructor invocations with parameters [message #757707] Mon, 21 November 2011 10:08 Go to next message
Konstantin Missing name is currently offline Konstantin Missing nameFriend
Hello,

I've got the following problem:
I'm trying to search for constructor invocations for constructors with parameters. I have tried searching for constructors without parameters and it worked fine. However searching for constructor invocations, when constructors have parameters doesn't find any searchMatches.

I tried the following code with variations:

public final static int GENERICS_AGNOSTIC_MATCH_RULE = SearchPattern.R_EXACT_MATCH
			| SearchPattern.R_CASE_SENSITIVE 
			| SearchPattern.R_EQUIVALENT_MATCH;

SearchPattern pattern = SearchPattern.createPattern(element,
  IJavaSearchConstants.REFERENCES, /* I also tried CLASS_INSTANCE_CREATION_TYPE_REFERENCE and even ALL_OCCURRENCES */
  GENERICS_AGNOSTIC_MATCH_RULE); 

// the scope is a PackageFragmentRoot for src folder - 
// obtained with ... getPackageFragmentRoot(sourceFolder);
IJavaSearchScope searchScope = SearchEngine.createJavaSearchScope(scope);

SearchEngine searchEngine = new SearchEngine();

searchEngine.search(pattern, new SearchParticipant[] { SearchEngine
.getDefaultSearchParticipant() }, searchScope, requestor,
null /* progress monitor */);

This code works fine for searching method invocations and constructor invocations without parameters.

Please help.
Re: Search for constructor invocations with parameters [message #757716 is a reply to message #757707] Mon, 21 November 2011 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
This should work unless there is something else wrong. Did you make sure that the parameter type matches exactly?
Re: Search for constructor invocations with parameters [message #757724 is a reply to message #757716] Mon, 21 November 2011 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes.

For example I try to look for constructor:

public JavaClassExample(JavaClassExample exampleParameter) {

}

Which is invoked in the code like this:

JavaClassExample newconstructor = JavaClassExample(new JavaClassExample());

OR

JavaClassExample example = new JavaClassExample();
JavaClassExample newconstructor2 = JavaClassExample(element);
Re: Search for constructor invocations with parameters [message #757734 is a reply to message #757716] Mon, 21 November 2011 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe I misunderstood your clarification question.

I'm using method:

SearchPattern.createPattern(IJavaElement element, int limitTo, int matchRule)

and you were probably referring to the method:

SearchPattern.createPattern(String stringPattern, int searchFor, int limitTo, int matchRule)

where you have to specify parameterTypes in the stringPattern.

Do I have to have any additional information, when I'm doing search by IJavaElement?
Re: Search for constructor invocations with parameters [message #758141 is a reply to message #757734] Tue, 22 November 2011 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
The string pattern can be something like JavaClassExample(JavaClassExample). In the element case, I hope your element is JavaClassExample(JavaClassExample) and not JavaClassExample().
Re: Search for constructor invocations with parameters [message #758203 is a reply to message #758141] Tue, 22 November 2011 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately I get a strange behavior.
Whenever I use a
SearchPattern.createPattern(constructor, IJavaSearchConstants.REFERENCES,  GENERICS_AGNOSTIC_MATCH_RULE);
and pass in a IMethod reference to the constructor
public JavaClassExample(JavaClassExample exampleParameter) {}
I don't get matches at all.

When I use a
SearchPattern.createPattern(simpleMethodSignature, IJavaSearchConstants.CONSTRUCTOR, IJavaSearchConstants.REFERENCES, GENERICS_AGNOSTIC_MATCH_RULE);
with simpleMethodSignature = "JavaClassExample(JavaClassExample)" I don't get matches either.

However, if I pass a simpleMethodSignature = "JavaClassExample()" I get matches for both JavaClassExample() AND JavaClassExample(JavaClassExample).

Is anyone able to reproduce the issue, or am I using SearchPattern wrong?

Thanks in advance
Konstantin
Re: Search for constructor invocations with parameters [message #758515 is a reply to message #758141] Wed, 23 November 2011 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satyam, can you reproduce the problem?
If yes, I will file a bug on this behavior.

Thanks,
Konstantin
Re: Search for constructor invocations with parameters [message #758775 is a reply to message #758515] Thu, 24 November 2011 14:13 Go to previous message
Resolved: the problem was due to compilation errors in the file, containing constructor being searched.
Thanks for your time.
Konstantin
Previous Topic:Update v3.6: "No repository found at ...": Which plugin is concerned?
Next Topic:Add new method and position cursor in body
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:26:31 GMT 2024