Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » E4 application accessibility question(The model of an E4 application seems to be able to affect accessibility of E4 based applications, is there anything I can do?)
E4 application accessibility question [message #757452] Fri, 18 November 2011 13:39 Go to next message
Michael Whapples is currently offline Michael WhapplesFriend
Hello,
Firstly, I am unsure whether this is the right forum for this question, as it relates to an E4 application model I thought it was. If another forum would be better please tell me which one.

I am a blind computer user and so accessibility of applications is important to me (eg. using tools like orca (add http prefix, the forum prevents me as it says I cannot post links until posted 5 messages) live.gnome.org/Orca on Linux or NVDA (again add http) www.nvda-project.org on windows) and therefore I want any application I create to be accessible. SWT and eclipse RCP applications are about one of the best solutions I have found for cross platform accessibility. Therefore I have recently started learning about Eclipse RCP development and as the future is going to be E4 I thought I should learn about that.

I am working through the tutorial by Tom Schindl and have noticed an interesting accessibility issue in chapter 5 (source code for the chapter can be found at (add the http) tomsondev.com/e4rcp/chapter5.zip ). In short as that code stands I cannot move to the "folder content" list or the message details. A small note: I find that I need to add the addons for key bindings to prevent a null pointer exception message appearing when I press navigation keys like tab or cursor keys. I can find the tab control for the folder content and the message parts, but I just cannot access the list or the message details. Tools like NVDA have a review mode where you can look through the accessible objects and route the mouse pointer to them, but while this can see there is a list it does not find the elements of the list (I do have a folder selected and there are items in the list) and it can find the message details, but when I route the mouse to any of these objects and click the mouse it does not take the focus to those controls.

I found that if I remove the stack parts relating to these parts and just have the folder content part and the message details directly in the sash part then the folder content can be tabbed to and is perfectly accessible. I still cannot access the message details part although the message details part is accessible in the associated text application.

So my question is: Why should a stack part affect accessibility? Is there anything I can do to improve accessibility in such a case?

For information I am using eclipse 4.1.1 and have tried this on windows with NVDA and on Linux with Orca.

Thank you for any help.
Re: E4 application accessibility question [message #758965 is a reply to message #757452] Fri, 25 November 2011 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian de Alwis is currently offline Brian de AlwisFriend
Hi Michael.

Re: key binding addon required: we should do something about this, especially since some of the addons are marked as "internal".

Re: tab focus of part stacks: could of please verify this issue still exists in the latest milestone and, if so, file a bug against Eclipse > Patform UI 4.2?

Brian.
Re: E4 application accessibility question [message #787760 is a reply to message #758965] Wed, 01 February 2012 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lars Vogel is currently offline Lars VogelFriend

Hello Michael,

in case you would like to try out Brians suggestion to use the Eclipse 4.2, you might want to use my updated Eclipse 4.2 tutorial which can be found here: Eclipse 4.2 RCP Tutorial.
Re: E4 application accessibility question [message #791556 is a reply to message #757452] Mon, 06 February 2012 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry I didn't get back about this earlier, things overtook this. I have tried it with eclipse 4.2 build 20111215-0110 (I think that is m3) and the issue still shows up. I will submit it as a bug when I get time.
Re: E4 application accessibility question [message #792319 is a reply to message #791556] Mon, 06 February 2012 22:02 Go to previous message
I have just filed this as a bug, bug#370777
Previous Topic:Error adding a part
Next Topic:Dynamic View Menu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:19:48 GMT 2024