Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Target Management » Can't get rseserver working between 2 linux boxes
Can't get rseserver working between 2 linux boxes [message #757154] Wed, 16 November 2011 19:36 Go to next message
Jeff Johnston is currently offline Jeff JohnstonFriend
I am trying to get rseserver working so I can hook up my laptop to my desktop on the internal intranet.

Using an ssh-only RSE connection works fine, but I need process support.

I start up the rseserver daemon on my desktop host under root. I ended up disabling the firewall on the desktop for the time-being and specified port 4075 with range 10000-20000. I tried also with no range and that did not work either. I did not do an ssl setup using ssl.properties.

On the client, I specified the host and specified a linux connection. I did not fool around with anything there and it defaulted to DStore for everything but terminal which only gave me the option of ssh.

When I try to access the files of the connection (clicking on My Files), it prompts me for a userid and password. I give it my normal login userid and password for the desktop and it then warns me the connection is not SSL. I proceed anyway and then it fails with invalid userid/password. This same userid/password works for the ssh connections I have which are also to the same desktop system. I mention that in case having multiple connections to the same system is the cause of this problem.

I am using Eclipse 3.7 on the client and I did an update from the updates/Indigo site just recently for RSE. It did not help.

Any ideas or things to look at/try?
Re: Can't get rseserver working between 2 linux boxes [message #757156 is a reply to message #757154] Wed, 16 November 2011 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Oberhuber is currently offline Martin OberhuberFriend
Check the "auth.pl" script that is part of rseserver.

You can search TM bugzilla for comments that have "auth.pl" and you should see an earlier defect that sounded similar. That time I instrumented auth.pl to give debugging output, which eventually helped track down the problem.

Another thing to check is what JVM your server uses. gcj won't work for sure.

Please file a bugzilla if that doesn't help.

Cheers
Martin
Re: Can't get rseserver working between 2 linux boxes [message #757509 is a reply to message #757156] Fri, 18 November 2011 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does the daemon or server end up calling auth.pl or is the code entirely in the Java classes? The reason I ask is that I added a debug statement in auth.pl per one of the comments I found in a bug of yours, but I don't see a debug file being created. If I echo to port 4075 on the remote host I get back an authentication failure, but the debug statements in auth.pl aren't triggered. I verified that the daemon was the only thing listening on port 4075 and that the firewall was disabled. My next thought is to get the Java code for the rseserver and debug the daemon unless you have an easier idea to try. I am using rseserver-3.3-linux.tar on the remote side and I have RSE 3.3.1.R33x_v20110914.... on the client side. I mention in case there would be some issue of the two communicating with each other. I am not using gcj as I am on F15 with OpenJDK being my JVM.
Re: Can't get rseserver working between 2 linux boxes [message #757550 is a reply to message #757509] Fri, 18 November 2011 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I upgraded my rseserver to 3.3.1. Didn't help with daemon access. I was able to get the Remote Systems Explorer to work by starting the server myself using the ssh method documented then set up a Linux connection to LOCALHOST (LOCALHOST:port does not work). I then set all the launchers to "Running" and then I finally manually set the port property for Files and Processes to be the port used for the server. When I tried to create a project there via the CDT C Project Wizard, something got mixed up and it was created locally on my machine which isn't what I wanted.

If anybody has some experience with setting this up for the localhost with a port, I'm all ears.

I should also mention that I got a java.lang.ClassNotFoundException from the server for org.eclipse.ptp.internal.rdt.core.miners.CDTMiner when I expanded the file tree for My Files, but it did work and the server still seems to be up and running.
Re: Can't get rseserver working between 2 linux boxes [message #757556 is a reply to message #757550] Sat, 19 November 2011 00:06 Go to previous message
Follow-up. Was able to get Eclipse to debug the ServerLauncher for a normal Linux connection to the host where the daemon was started manually. It did eventually call auth.pl with the correct userid and passwd although I got an extraneous socket connection where there was garbage for userid and password.

I traced the authorization problem to the fact that getpwnam() is just returning the same 3-character password for every userid other than ones that have been manually added to my system. I assume this has something to do with our company's userid/password management set-up. I'll have to look into it to see if it is a perl issue or whether I have to do something to configure this to work or whether the rseserver needs to have additional logic in place for such a scenario.
Re: Can't get rseserver working between 2 linux boxes [message #758027 is a reply to message #757156] Wed, 16 November 2011 22:01 Go to previous message
David McKnight is currently offline David McKnightFriend
Also make sure that java is in the PATH for the user who is logging in.

"Martin Oberhuber" <forums-noreply@eclipse.org> wrote in message
news:ja14os$j5a$1@news.eclipse.org...
> Check the "auth.pl" script that is part of rseserver.
>
> You can search TM bugzilla for comments that have "auth.pl" and you should
> see an earlier defect that sounded similar. That time I instrumented
> auth.pl to give debugging output, which eventually helped track down the
> problem.
>
> Another thing to check is what JVM your server uses. gcj won't work for
> sure.
>
> Please file a bugzilla if that doesn't help.
>
> Cheers
> Martin
Re: Can't get rseserver working between 2 linux boxes [message #758028 is a reply to message #757509] Fri, 18 November 2011 21:35 Go to previous message
David McKnight is currently offline David McKnightFriend
The daemon (which is java) ends up calling auth.pl which then does an su to
your user id and starts the server. Could you also make sure that the
Subsystem property page does not have the daemon port specified; I mention
this because it's come up as a problem before - the launched server can't
use the same port as the daemon. I'm not sure whether anyone has had
success running this with OpenJDK before (I haven't tried before). Does it
make any difference if you use the Sun/Oracle JDK?

"Jeff Johnston" <forums-noreply@eclipse.org> wrote in message
news:ja63t2$7ij$1@news.eclipse.org...
> Does the daemon or server end up calling auth.pl or is the code entirely
> in the Java classes? The reason I ask is that I added a debug statement
> in auth.pl per one of the comments I found in a bug of yours, but I don't
> see a debug file being created. If I echo to port 4075 on the remote host
> I get back an authentication failure, but the debug statements in auth.pl
> aren't triggered. I verified that the daemon was the only thing listening
> on port 4075 and that the firewall was disabled. My next thought is to
> get the Java code for the rseserver and debug the daemon unless you have
> an easier idea to try. I am using rseserver-3.3-linux.tar on the remote
> side and I have RSE 3.3.1.R33x_v20110914.... on the client side. I
> mention in case there would be some issue of the two communicating with
> each other. I am not using gcj as I am on F15 with OpenJDK being my JVM.
Previous Topic:SSH/SFTP to support "sudo -u <user> sudosh" on login
Next Topic:Launching remote command fails if command must be set in initial request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 09:18:23 GMT 2024