Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Commits listed in synchronization view should be openable
Commits listed in synchronization view should be openable [message #756938] Tue, 15 November 2011 15:38 Go to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
Synchronization has now gotten much faster, particularly when using the Commits model. This makes it far more useful than it was before. Try it again if you haven't for awhile.

To be more useful still, it would be really nice if the right-click menu for the commits listed in this view included an 'Open in Commit Viewer' operation, which would of course open the selected commits in Commit views.

Probably all the right-click operations on commits listed in History should eventually be accessible from commits listed in the Synchronization, but 'open' is a good start.
Re: Commits listed in synchronization view should be openable [message #756987 is a reply to message #756938] Tue, 15 November 2011 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dariusz Luksza is currently offline Dariusz LukszaFriend

R Shapiro wrote on Tue, 15 November 2011 10:38
Synchronization has now gotten much faster, particularly when using the Commits model. This makes it far more useful than it was before. Try it again if you haven't for awhile.

In EGit 1.1 we introduced huge performance improvements for Workspace presentation model IMHO it should be far more faster than Commits model since it now uses constant number of repository "read" operations (current impl of Commits model uses much to many repository "reads", it's number vary on numbers of commits and trees in that commits). Commits model can also cause OutOfMemoryException on huge repositories. There are some pending changes in gerrit that limit amount of memory used by Commits model, but since they are really huge (more than 4k LoC) I doubt that they'll be merged before 1.2 release.

R Shapiro wrote on Tue, 15 November 2011 10:38

To be more useful still, it would be really nice if the right-click menu for the commits listed in this view included an 'Open in Commit Viewer' operation, which would of course open the selected commits in Commit views.

Probably all the right-click operations on commits listed in History should eventually be accessible from commits listed in the Synchronization, but 'open' is a good start.

Preferred way for requesting enhancements is through eclipse bugzilla not eclipse forums ... but I'll do my best to implement this in my free time...
Re: Commits listed in synchronization view should be openable [message #757117 is a reply to message #756987] Wed, 16 November 2011 15:01 Go to previous message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
Re: Workspace model v Commits model in advanced synchronization, every one here wants to work work commits in this context. The feeling is that Git is fundamentally commit-centric at the inter-reference comparison level, and file-centric at the index/working-tree comparison level.

I would have thought that in the case of tracking or otherwise closely related branches it should also be faster to work with commits, since the common ancestor should be relatively close by. Once you have the common ancestor, surely it's very fast to walk the di-graph from there to the destination reference?

I could see how the commit model could be slower for references that are not closely related. I rarely have any reason to do that though.
Previous Topic:egit freezes and times out (ReadTimeout) when pushing after upgrade to 1.1.0
Next Topic:How to have the context menu in the History View ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:01:42 GMT 2024