Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » How to display empty columns in a crosstab
How to display empty columns in a crosstab [message #756644] Mon, 14 November 2011 15:00 Go to next message
donino donino is currently offline donino doninoFriend
Hi,

I'm trying to display all the columns "month" of a crosstab, even if they are empty.

In the very simple attached exemple, i use year and month dimensions as crosstab columns. Main dataset only retrieves data from january to may, therefore it renders 5 columns. Month dimension is linked to a scripted dataset that creates 12 month id/description. I tried to use the "Show empty columns" option, i can select month id but it doesn't seem affect anything: month from june to december are still not displayed.

What am i doing wrong? How can i use this option correctly in my example?

Thanks
Re: How to display empty columns in a crosstab [message #756687 is a reply to message #756644] Mon, 14 November 2011 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

This may be because the primary fact data set does not contain the data.
Look at the revised example where I added a year field to the scripted
dataset and then created a joint dataset and used it to build a cube.

Jason

On 11/14/2011 10:00 AM, dpardon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to display all the columns "month" of a crosstab, even if they are empty.
>
> In the very simple attached exemple, i use year and month dimensions as crosstab columns. Main dataset only retrieves data from january to may, therefore it renders 5 columns. Month dimension is linked to a scripted dataset that creates 12 month id/description. I tried to use the "Show empty columns" option, i can select month id but it doesn't seem affect anything: month from june to december are still not displayed.
>
> What am i doing wrong? How can i use this option correctly in my example?
>
> Thanks
Re: How to display empty columns in a crosstab [message #756708 is a reply to message #756687] Mon, 14 November 2011 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a nice tip Jason thanks. Indeed, if we generate empty rows with an outer join it resolves the issue. However i believed that was the job of "Show empty" options, besides with the outer join empty rows/columns are displayed even if "Show empty rows" and "Show empty columns" are not selected. Im not sure i understand how this option works Smile
Re: How to display empty columns in a crosstab [message #756763 is a reply to message #756708] Mon, 14 November 2011 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

This option may only work on the primary dataset. I am attaching
another example where it is a bit more obvious.

Jason

On 11/14/2011 1:21 PM, dpardon wrote:
> That's a nice tip Jason thanks. Indeed, if we generate empty rows with
> an outer join it resolves the issue. However i believed that was the job
> of "Show empty" options, besides with the outer join empty rows/columns
> are displayed even if "Show empty rows" and "Show empty columns" are not
> selected. Im not sure i understand how this option works :)
Re: How to display empty columns in a crosstab [message #756858 is a reply to message #756763] Tue, 15 November 2011 11:20 Go to previous message
understood, thanks!
Previous Topic:Birt Missing images on ProxyPass
Next Topic:Hide Crosstab columns at runtime
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 06:23:27 GMT 2024