Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Who is doing Eclipse 4.x RCP application ?
Who is doing Eclipse 4.x RCP application ? [message #756318] Fri, 11 November 2011 22:39 Go to next message
jmdelsaux  is currently offline jmdelsaux Friend
Hello,

I am currently developping an 3.x RCP application. It seems very difficult to find 4.x RCP app. I found the 2 tutorials from Lars Vogel and the one from Tom Schindl

I also find Maestro from Artal technologies from Eclipse Con 2011 (sorry, i can't add links).

What is better ? Continue with the 3.x model or trying to use the 4.x model (with no support) ?

Thanks
JMi
Re: Who is doing Eclipse 4.x RCP application ? [message #756573 is a reply to message #756318] Mon, 14 November 2011 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jmdelsaux  is currently offline jmdelsaux Friend
Are there people migrating their application/plugin to the 4.x platform ? If not, is it planned ?
Re: Who is doing Eclipse 4.x RCP application ? [message #756578 is a reply to message #756573] Mon, 14 November 2011 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel Krügler is currently offline Daniel KrüglerFriend
On 2011-11-14 12:51, jmdelsaux wrote:
> Are there people migrating their application/plugin to the 4.x platform
> ? If not, is it planned ?

Speaking for our group I can only say that we are interested to migrate
but also consider the lack of examples as a risk doing so. Currently we
probably will stay on the 3.7 branch for mainly these reasons.

Greetings from Bremen,

Daniel Krügler
Re: Who is doing Eclipse 4.x RCP application ? [message #756636 is a reply to message #756578] Mon, 14 November 2011 14:45 Go to previous message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

There are some RCP apps that already take advantage of Eclipse 4 (work by Simon C and Brian d come to mind). Eclipse 4 provides access to the rendering through a model, commands, preferences, selection, DI. But if you depend on many of the 3.x workbench services (like progress, import/export wizards, etc) they are not available in Eclipse 4 yet. A lot more work will go into Eclipse 4 RCP apps after 4.2, but the Eclipse 4.2 focus is on the robutstness of the compatibility layer.

A good communication channel for Eclipse 4 is still the E4 forum or the e4-dev@eclipse.org mailing list.

PW

Previous Topic:Embedding video within Eclipse RCP html-based help.
Next Topic:Link to Indigo SR1 Delta Pack
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:01:31 GMT 2024